ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Full respray strip out tips

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Hi guys , contemplating a full respray including engine bay, internal and external strip out. Has anyone else done this ? Good or bad idea. Looking for suggestions on service manuals both OEM and other publishers that would assist such a monumental task at home.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
If you have a spray booth, engine crane, restoration trolley and 40 square foot dry storage space. Then go for it. Otherwise it's going to be a ball ache that won't be worth it in the end.

If I were you I'd do as much prep before you strip it down. (Example, sand down and build primer on exterior). Then ask a decent body shop if you can rent some space in their garage to strip the parts and finish the bay and interior prep. Get them to do the actual paint and finishing.

You'll regret doing the paint yourself if even a small blemish comes out.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Thanks appreciate the reply.
I plan on stripping the car down myself and then supply shell and parts to the body shop to rub down and prep and then re-spray the car.

My rough plan of action would be to for an external respray only and I'll call it a stage 1
  1. Get automotive glass guy to remove rear side glass, front and rear glass and door glass and assembly
  2. Remove front bumper and strip down all plastics, including upper and lower grille as well as fog light surrounds
  3. Remove front head lights, wheel arch plastics and undertray plastics
  4. Remove rear number and strip down all plastics, including rear centre plastic and exhaust tip surrounds as well as numberplate light
  5. Remove rear tail gate wiper and plastic surrounds
  6. Remove rear tailgate boot release surround
  7. Remove roof aerial and its plastic surround
  8. Remove driver and passenger side door handles and surrounds
  9. Remove driver and passenger internal door cards and all plastics
  10. Remover drivers and passenger side mirrors
  11. Remove side indicator lights
  12. Remove bonnet washer jets
  13. Remove all side bullets
  14. Remove diver and passenger lower side skirts

Stage 2, for respray of entire shell
  1. Remove exhaust system
  2. Remove engine and all engine bay ancillaries
  3. Remove and strip all internal seats
  4. Remove all internal carpets as well as boot liners
  5. Remove head lining
  6. Remove dashboard
Anything i'm missing, that i should add to the list?
Deliver a rolling shell to body shop and then reverse the above back to step 1 !

dan's cast offs.
First thing is take all wheel arch liners and side skirts off and get the underside and under the bonnet steam cleaned.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
First thing is take all wheel arch liners and side skirts off and get the underside and under the bonnet steam cleaned.
Good idea I might try that this weekend, on car stands and a pressure washer just to start off with.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
It's ambitious. Not impossible. But it'll be a hell of a lot easier renting gargage space at the spray shop and doing the prep yourself

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Yep ambitious would be an understatement haha , just throwing the idea around for the time being, but the more I think about it the more realistic it sounds. But would have to lock away a few straight days to do it.