ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Funny noises again :(

2003 Clio 172
Right,

So the Clio was tired suspension wise when i bought it with the usual creaks/clunks etc when turning and so on, so as soon as i bought it, i replace:

• Top mount rubbers
  • Top mount bearings
  • Bottom ball joints
  • Track rod ends
  • Rear shocks
  • Front springs
  • "Fred" spec washers atop the struts
And all was hunky dory, for a while.

Today however, I have noticed a groan/crunch/creak when i am starting off and it is facking me right off.

I actually thought somethign was rolling around in the side pocket of the car at first but i have since cleared that out and remembered that my car is FRENCH and thus, will not be THAT simple.

Anyone else any ideas what i should be looking at now?

Car has 50k, Ph2 172

Thanks
Andy

2003 Clio 172
Its ok buddy, just out from under the car and discovered what it is.

Have lost the drivers side cv boot and grease.

Off to euro car parts tomorrow for a new boot then ffs.

Jj

2003 Clio 172
Oh no..........

Tell me it isnt true that there is NO REPLACEMENT for a drivers side inside CV boot?

Seriously?

A

"Navy" N17 TWO
Fun times mate!

I more or less had all the same things from I bought mine - all good now :)

When you get sorted, keep an eye on the meets section/PM box ;)

Cro

Meg'd r27
Yeah no viable replacement boot on the ph2 inner cv bud. I know that some have converted to using a ph1 shaft because of the ability of a replacement boot. Something I'll probably look into and do myself

2003 Clio 172
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuug!......

Okey dokey chaps.......Ill have to ponder.......might just poney up for the Renault one and see what (if any discount i can get)

Any idea whats involved making the ph1 shaft work.

Regards
Andy

"Navy" N17 TWO
Think one is £120 from Renault if you give them your old one afterwards to recondition it - from memory! £270 for a new one off them! :eek:

2003 Clio 172
TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY QUID?

Ill have that one out with them I think.

That is not acceptable IMO to replace a rubber boot.

Incidentally, I phoned hursts and they did say they supply that boot.............???

J

RS RIP
i felt sick last time at Renault hearing this..

decided to drive around till the things drop out the gearbox before replacing

2003 Clio 172
This could very well be the final nail in the coffin for this car for me :(

I can swallow everything else, even the daft timing belt prices.......because I GET that it's tight in there, special tools are required and the floating pulleys etc etc

But I cannot swallow such a ridiculous expense as this.

Thats not fair.

If this was a Porsche FFS, we would only be paying 35+vat for an oem boot. But no, new driveshaft required.............I have never ever heard anything like that.

I have an MOT in Feb so ill have to fix this, but she will be going down the line after that for something normal.

:(

J

Cro

Meg'd r27
Yeah it can have a small dead pigeon trapped in the joint and it still wont fail. The outer does because of the possibility of the grease making its way onto the braking system. I asked about alot when mine s**t itself day before mot and it went through fine, guy told me its nothing to do with him because its not tested.

As long as it mechanically drives fine i'd imagine

2003 Clio 172
Ill give her a go bud......its still one of those things that you dont like having on the car...

Itll do my box in knowing its there

J

2003 Clio 172
Cro, Fred,

What is the problem with sticking a universal on this? Is it the clearance around that wee metal tube/cv housing?

Would a well trimmed universal held on with wire still not clear the block? I always used to use fine wire and a tidy twist to fasten awkward boots on the Civic and never had one fail.

You know, if it was stretched right down to the smallest ribs and trimmed proper?

Jj

Cro

Meg'd r27
Won't clear the block due to the design, you'd be going over the metal housing or else using a strange or custom boot. Either way theres literally a few mm clearance on mine, I've grinded the block back to give extra room.

I certainly couldn't find one but if you think you might know one, go for it... could save us all a fortune!

2003 Clio 172
This is nuts.....

Worse than the timing belt monopoly IMO.

Think I am going to take the hit mate and replace the shaft when i can, hoping I get a bit of discount at the dealers though.

I reckon ill start arsing about with the old shaft when it comes out to see if there is a bit of tinkery that could be done, even if we could find a brute of an internal circlip or something low profile and strong that may hold a trimmed down universal boot inside the housing.....

There has to be a way man.

This is bonkers.

A

2003 Clio 172
So here, my wee mate at Reno is ADAMANT that this is a replaceable CV boot.

The part numbers he is showing are 7701209884, 7701471522 and 7701207822 depending on what inner cv is in place.

Does anyone have any ideas about these?

????

J

2003 Clio 172
WTF?

Why are my local Reno dealerships insistent that I can replace the boot?

Why are they also insistent that I can use one of their recon driveshafts?

FFS

Baldocks Renault at least are speaking a bit of sense regarding a note on the system saying its a no-no

How can you have any faith in a dealership?

Jj