ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Funny story, turns out Clio's can't fly

BG182ff,explod Focus
Well, can't land would be more accurate :(

Picked up a rear strut brace from a bloke in Sheffield and went for a play on the back lanes via Buxton on my way home.
Was driving "enthusiastically" and everything seemed great until I went over a blind brow of a hill and took off big style.
I landed heavily and felt an unpleasant crunch but thankfully the airbag didn't go off or i'd have been buggered.

A quick look over found a bulge in the floor in the drivers footwell, buckled nds front wheel, wrecked splitter and undertray and a nasty burn on my shoulder from the seat belt.

So anyway, i was wondering if the bulge in the floor is something others have come across and hopefully doesn't mean i've buckled the chassis and if you can recommend someone near Stoke to do a thorough check of the chassis, suspension etc.

now where did i put the nurofen and savlon?

Jap Box
lmao, why would you do that over a blind brow anyway? normal hill fair enough, its your car to be fucked up afterwards.

if it managed to buckle the wheel then surely the axel will be slightly fucked

BG182ff,explod Focus
why would you do that over a blind brow anyway?

haven't used those roads since I used to ride my motorbike to and from Sheffield when I was at uni there.
and because i'm a fick stokie I thought I knew the road well. not well enough obviously, I wasn't expecting there to be such a sudden and deep drop off on the other side :eek:

surely the axel will be slightly f**ked

don't worry, my Harold Faltermeyer CD is fine :S

Jap Box
haven't used those roads since I used to ride my motorbike to and from Sheffield when I was at uni there.
and because i'm a fick stokie I thought I knew the road well. not well enough obviously, I wasn't expecting there to be such a sudden and deep drop off on the other side :eek:

don't worry, my Harold Faltermeyer CD is fine :S

lol same happened with me and my other clio, thought i knew the roads well enough, took the corner too fast and ended up roofing it :rasp:

pics of the damage would help to see whats wrong anyway

172 Cup
There is a Properly big jump (more of a drop) on the Longnort road towards leek. I used to take it steady and still get serious air in my mx5. It never used to jump though, it was more of a wheely with all 4 wheels off the ground. Very scary as you lose sight of the ground haha.

Stoke is pretty toss for well known skilled mechanics. Im sure there are plenty, i just dont know of them.

BMW M135I
Yeah, thats the probably the one im thinking of, I went airbourne over it and ended up scraping the splitter, but could/would only do it heading towards Leek as its not far off a corner going the other way. Always made sure I drove to Uni that way when it was nice as they were good roads

BG182ff,explod Focus
Sounds like the one I found too, I was on my way to Leek when it happened

This was the front wheel when I took it off after work

4936433_DSC00296.jpg

4936435_DSC00298.jpg

The hole where my splitter used to be, looks like my poor Clio is crying :cry:

4936493_DSC00291a.jpg

I couldn't get a good pic of the bulge in the footwell but if you imagine a line coming back from the brake pedal to under the seat then you get the idea. It follows the line of the chassis member under the car.

4936436_DSC00293.jpg

should get the wheel back tomorrow and then need to find someone reliable to check all the dimmensions and put them back to where they are supposed to be.