ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuse blowing and car won't start

Clio 172
Leaving college earlier the car cut out right outside the gate, and refused to start with the key. The engine is turning over fine but just won't fire up.

Couldn't hear the fuel pump priming with the ignition on, so checked the fuses. The 30A fuse in the engine bay had blown, so I replaced it with a spare I had in the car. Turned the ignition on but as soon as I turned the key to start the engine, the fuse blew again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions as to where I start?

Cro

Meg'd r27
You most likely have water or something in somewhere mate. Either that or a cross in the loom, I traced mine back to the rear spoiler connection but that was because it blew everytime I pressed the brake pedal.

Just gonna be a long and painful looking session

Clio 172
You most likely have water or something in somewhere mate. Either that or a cross in the loom, I traced mine back to the rear spoiler connection but that was because it blew everytime I pressed the brake pedal.

Just gonna be a long and painful looking session
I don't see how water could be causing it though?

I mean like I've driven the car in torrential rain not a bother, but today was an absolute scorcher of a day, not a drip of rain to be seen?

Drove to college fine, parked in the carpark all day, went to drive home and kept blowing a fuse?

Cro

Meg'd r27
Loose connection shorting off something then.

I was pulling my hair out trying to find it, was fine for years, found it and dried/wd40'd and hasnt happened since!

172 Cup
Can you here the fuel pump prime just before the fuse pop's? I have seen a pump that has blocked up and kept popping the fuse, we later found it had been filled with contaminated eco type s**t and gunged the pump up!!

Clio 172
Turns out a wire going to the lambda sensor was rubbing against the chassis, had rubbed thru the protective coating, causing the wire to hit the chassis and short the circuit. Bit of electrical tape, a cable tie and the car is as good as new:)

Thanks all for the help;)