ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaming monitor suggestions (Xbox/PS)

Parky14

ClioSport Club Member
Hi

I had a search through previous threads, but wondering if I can get some up to date help/opinions please

I'm weighing up the idea of getting a gaming monitor for my Xbox One (currently use a TV), but unsure what brand/spec of monitor to buy. I'd like to upgrade the console at some point over the next 12 months to either a PS5 or Xbox Series X; therefore I'd want the monitor to work well for the time being, but also be suitable in the future if I upgrade the console. I've seen curved monitors - any pros/cons to these? Open to all suggestions - budget would be £200 - £300

Thanks very much

Lewis

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
If you're going to stay with Microsoft then you can opt for a 1440p monitor with a 144hz refresh that would fit your budget.

4k is a lot more and most games will be running at lower resolutions than 4k anyway.

PS5 doesn't currently support 1440p.

I run a curved screen, I sit quite close and prefer it. If you're going to be further away that say you would sit at a computer desk then I would get a flat screen.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Just to echo above comments, I went from original PS4 with a s**t tv, to the same PS4 with a 1080 1ms 60hz monitor and loved it, to a PC with 1440 1ms 170Hz monitor. Would never game on a TV again.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Has anyone heard of any new monitors coming out? I've would of like another Asus monitor but i've been looking at this LG https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-27GN950-B and it ticks quit a few boxes. Would like to know more information on where and price i can get one. Anyone bought a new monitor for their system recently?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone heard of any new monitors coming out? I've would of like another Asus monitor but i've been looking at this LG https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-27GN950-B and it ticks quit a few boxes. Would like to know more information on where and price i can get one. Anyone bought a new monitor for their system recently?
I've got the LG, its nice. Supposedly more stock coming next month.

they also have a GP950 which has HDMI 2.1 for VRR with PS5/XBOX

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Have you got that special model like on that link i did? I’ll keep an eye out then next month. Thanks

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The only thing I would add is, from my experience, once you start using a monitor with low latency, plus you're sat closer to it, you get used to it, and then when you want to use a TV it feels inferior and slightly frustrating.

Just to echo above comments, I went from original PS4 with a s**t tv, to the same PS4 with a 1080 1ms 60hz monitor and loved it, to a PC with 1440 1ms 170Hz monitor. Would never game on a TV again.
I’d say the opposite, once you’ve experienced a TV with decent gaming features you can’t go back to a 27 inch monitor lol. But the OP probably isn’t going to triple his budget.

That said, I’m really happy with my LG so I’d recommend them.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've currently got the popular Ben q rl2455hm. Probably won't get a ps5 for a while.

For the ps4 pro am I likely to see (literally) a good overall improvement in going for a 'better' but not strong money monitor?. Mooching about and there are hundreds to choose from.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I rang Overclockers the other day and asked about the new LG 27" 27GP950-B that's on their website and they said it's going to be £800 and some stock are going to be in this Friday and was saying need to pay for it in advance as majority of them are for pre orders, they had some before but all sold out and more is coming in this Friday. I'm really temepted to pre roder it but i think i'll stil hang on a little while longer till more other brands come out and I'm sure this LG will come down in price

Crispy.

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW G31 530D Msport
I was in the exact same position as you last week. Xbox series X owner and wanted to tap into 2k/1440P and 120hz/FPS. I went with the Gigabyte M27Q which, for the money is unreal. KVM switch built in too!

I got mine on amazon at the reduced price of £270 so perfectly in your budget too!

A SHED!
Only just seen this thread after asking in the ps5 thread. Doh. So budget for 200-300 for use with a ps5? Any suggestions? I'm being kicked out of my lounge by the wife for winning at warzone too much....😉

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
If you want 4k, the ASUS VP28UQG is good for a budget 4k, retails around £280 but can often get it a bit cheaper if you wait for an eBay code or deal elsewhere.

For FPS games though, you're probably better off with a 1080p monitor and a higher frame rate, as the PS5 can't do both 4k and 120hz on most games, so it's basically either/or and you're gonna want frames over graphics for that. Something like a Gigabyte G27.

If you want both 4k and the ability to get 120hz so you can change between them depending on the game, you're looking at about £800+.

A SHED!
If you want 4k, the ASUS VP28UQG is good for a budget 4k, retails around £280 but can often get it a bit cheaper if you wait for an eBay code or deal elsewhere.

For FPS games though, you're probably better off with a 1080p monitor and a higher frame rate, as the PS5 can't do both 4k and 120hz on most games, so it's basically either/or and you're gonna want frames over graphics for that. Something like a Gigabyte G27.

If you want both 4k and the ability to get 120hz so you can change between them depending on the game, you're looking at about £800+.
I'm after 120fps on cod? Cause they're the types of games I play. Would that g27 but suitable?

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Had a quick look into PS5 monitors when my mate was looking at them a few weeks back. One vid I suggested he look at...

https://youtu.be/CNpveKku0hw

The guy seems to say that one he has takes a 4k image and downscales to 1440p at 60 Hz. Would also have the option (assuming you can choose what the PS5 outputs) to run at 1080p / with faster frame rates so could be a nice to have both options depending on what game you're playing.

He lists a few monitors which would supposedly support that in his comments - these two seem to be the cheapest just over £300.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089SQ5L6T/?tag=cliospnet01-21
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X8HBHJP/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Had a quick look into PS5 monitors when my mate was looking at them a few weeks back. One vid I suggested he look at...

https://youtu.be/CNpveKku0hw

The guy seems to say that one he has takes a 4k image and downscales to 1440p at 60 Hz. Would also have the option (assuming you can choose what the PS5 outputs) to run at 1080p / with faster frame rates so could be a nice to have both options depending on what game you're playing.

He lists a few monitors which would supposedly support that in his comments - these two seem to be the cheapest just over £300.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089SQ5L6T/?tag=cliospnet01-21
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X8HBHJP/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Just remember that 1080p would be stretched over 1440p so might look a bit iffy.

If you just play Warzone all the time and nothing that needs to look nice maybe just stick to 1080p with a high refresh rate, it might be worth a shot on a 1440p one though (If Sony ever enable 1440p you'd be covered) and if you don't like how 1080p looks on it send it back.

Last edited:

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Just an update on this thread, I’ve decided I’m going to leave getting the HDMI 2.1 LG monitor for the time being and get a lower spec 4K one for the time being. I was thinking of 4K 27’ 1ms , something around 60FPS , any have any ideas On what’s available at the minute. I’ll be getting the HDMI 2.1 monitor when the market picks up on it

just seen this one for £200 Benq https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-EL2870U-Eye-Care-Monitor-Free-Sync/dp/B079HV1TDC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3H5R6D9UHXOXX&dchild=1&keywords=4k+27+inch+monitor&qid=1635888567&qsid=260-0617974-9576843&sprefix=4K+27”%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-4&sres=B07R9M25CT%2CB079HV1TDC%2CB07TPFVXWJ%2CB07HNS43Z5%2CB082HGYLPP%2CB07GLR6RQF%2CB07KF7MVKT%2CB084XR8RPB%2CB088MDKBZJ%2CB07RWD1JQ6%2CB098P82R3J%2CB07TZSSYWL%2CB084KX3HQ8%2CB08DRSHH8T%2CB07RBX5LTZ%2CB08FRJ9RJ9&srpt=MONITOR

this one could’ve a contender https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VP28UQGL-FreeSync-Ergonomic-Certified/dp/B07TZSSYWL/ref=sr_1_16?crid=3H5R6D9UHXOXX&dchild=1&keywords=4k+27+inch+monitor&qid=1635888567&qsid=260-0617974-9576843&sprefix=4K+27”%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-16&sres=B07R9M25CT%2CB079HV1TDC%2CB07TPFVXWJ%2CB07HNS43Z5%2CB082HGYLPP%2CB07GLR6RQF%2CB07KF7MVKT%2CB084XR8RPB%2CB088MDKBZJ%2CB07RWD1JQ6%2CB098P82R3J%2CB07TZSSYWL%2CB084KX3HQ8%2CB08DRSHH8T%2CB07RBX5LTZ%2CB08FRJ9RJ9&srpt=MONITOR

Last edited:
  133T
My lads on an old 1080p tv with his Xbox one S. After playing my Xbox series X on LG CX Oled I feel kinda bad for him having to go back to it.
Would a 1440p monitor be a noticeable upgrade for him? I read the One S got a software update and can run native 1440p. If so, any recommendations for 250 or less? Thankya..

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3

this has caught my eye past week or so, i think it's retailed at around £850 or £750

anyone got a new ish monitor recently?

Parky14

ClioSport Club Member
I'm back in this thread again as looking for a new gaming monitor. There are so many options when searching online that I'm struggling to narrow it down - any recommendations for the PS5 (4k, high refresh rate) - max budget £500. Cheers

R5gtt, 182, volvo...

Parky14

ClioSport Club Member
Think @Parky14 will need a HDMI 2.1 compatible one for high refresh stuff out of the PS5?
Thanks - I'm far from clued-up on monitor specs, but from research I think I'm looking for a monitor with the following specs to use with a PS5:

• 120hz or 144hz (I think PS5 can only take 120?)
  • 1ms
  • HDMI 2.1
  • Screen size - ideally 27 inch as current monitor is this size

This might be a daft question, but is this list achievable within my budget? Any brands that are recommended to narrow down the search? I've seen ASUS come up a few times when searching. Any help here would be greatly appreciated - apologies in advance for so many questions!

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Could be wrong but I think HDMI 2.1 on monitors still needs to trickle down into that price bracket.

A quick Google brings this up for £600, I've not heard of the make though.

Most monitors will be aimed at 144hz, but as long as it's HDMI 2.1 compatible a PS5 should be fine on one, you just won't see the top end of the refresh rate.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks @Adamm. - funnily enough came across this monitor on my search last night. Have you had it long/would you recommend it?

Had it since April last year. If you're willing to stretch the budget I think it's a great monitor I've been very happy with it. At the time I got it it was one of the top rated in reviews but was the only one out of those options that had hdmi 2.1.