ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaz Coilovers... I'll Need a Mortgage

I've been looking at coilovers on KTEC and for 900+ bar there's a set of GAZ coilovers..

I want to lower my car 60mm and GAZ coilovers offer just that. Is there any other coilovers that offer lows of 60mm that are decent and I don't need to take a mortgage for them?

I've also heard of people lowering the car on springs but keeping the standard shocks on, i don't want to do that.

Thanks

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
In before the KTEC hatred bandwagon rolls in.

popcorn.gif

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Get the Other Gaz ones mate, b****cks to paying a grand for that.

Get on Ebay, lowe Ktec prices.

Ok supposin' i was looking at the £500 Gaz coilovers Harbringer posted, would anyone suggest better value for money? In everyones experience what's the best coilover kit for £500 that will over good handling and 60mm lowering ability?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Gaz arnt ment to be that great tbh.
Everything else is more than £500.

FK are good, or up the budget to 6-700

182cup & 172 racecar
Ok supposin' i was looking at the £500 Gaz coilovers Harbringer posted, would anyone suggest better value for money? In everyones experience what's the best coilover kit for £500 that will over good handling and 60mm lowering ability?

I'm afraid this sentence is flawed.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
If I was to get a set I would want a monotube damper with adjustable damping.

Obviously it'll cost a little bit more than an inferior twin tube setup (Gaz, Spax) but its still not astronomical... http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?714337-BC-Coilovers-(supplied-and-installed-£770)

The B14 kit is good and rides nicely, had a set on mine briefly, but they lack damping adjustment.

However if you just want lows then get a budget set like raceland or v-maxx, but you won't get handling too.

182cup & 172 racecar
No, you won't get what you want, for what you want to pay.

That is what I meant. Cheap-Low-good handling, just doesn't go together, and you will not find anything, doesn't matter what people tell you.

No, you won't get what you want, for what you want to pay.

That is what I meant. Cheap-Low-good handling, just doesn't go together, and you will not find anything, doesn't matter what people tell you.

I do understand what you're saying. I'm not going to buy something serious. I could maybe stretch to £700 but it's also what the insurance company are going to ask for them to be put on! I'm not too woried about how comfy the ride i've been doing karting for 10 years, i'm used to not having any creature comforts (bruised ribs against the seat etc) I know the 172 don't handle bad OEM anyway so putting some (half) decent coilovers that will lower it 60mm (obviously this will make the car handle better) but with the coilovers themselves having to upperhand on the OEM setup will make a better car.. there is something out there.

The Spax kit looks ok and cheap, has anyone had any experience with the Spax RSX? Do you know how much you can lower the car with them on? It just says 'Stainless steel hight adjustable platforms'

Ph1 Tom - I have to be a member to look at that, I will register in time.

Last edited:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I have the RSX kit on my ph1, not a year old yet.
Ill sell them for £450 posted.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
I have the Spax kit, the springs on the rear are rotten and gone back to cup ones for the time being as MOT on Friday, but I really rate them, some dont but the comfort on them is great.

Ph1er ill ring demontweeks and ask about their prices if there stupid ill pm you. Thanks for the info harbinger it seems as though these are definitely worth a shout! They lower up to 80mm apparently, definitely won't be looking at an Asian family in the arch gap!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Ok no probs, mine where bought from Dan @ 519 a trader on here last November.
I guess they have only done 3k while on my car.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ive had a car with Ktec coilovers on it, and for the money they're absolutely fine. Couldn't fault them really.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
OP - if you register on here it opens up opportunities for potential discounts at places like Demon Tweeks, so get it done, and continue your research!

If money wasn't a problem I wouldn't be buying cheap coilovers that's why I'm asking people what's the best to get. Spax is a well known brand I don't see why there coilovers would be rubbish..
Thanks for the advice Tim ill do it when I get home, I presume I can use PayPal?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
In my opinion, yes.

What they don't have is damping adjustment. However if it just for road use, or even just the odd trackday now and then they are fine.

Very nice ride, good quality and will lower it more than you'll need.

Mec 350 slk manual
Ok I just looked at George's bg track car build his looks smart on billies ill ask around for some prices
If you dig a bit deeper on the spax Rsx there are people on here had a lot of probs like leaking seals and rusting up .

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Lowering 60MM does it not rub the front arches away? can't see there being 6CM on of space when you have a few people inside, I kept mine near enough std height.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
If you dig a bit deeper on the spax Rsx there are people on here had a lot of probs like leaking seals and rusting up .

Mine have been fine, its more the trackday kits that have the problems.
The ones with the coilover rear.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
There was also problems with the billies knocking thats why I went fir the Spax, also the spax has got a 24 point damping adjustment.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
The Springs on RSX Rust but that's all I've had, My Old Astra GSI has Bilsteins as Standard, Pink drop ins that came with the late MK3 GSI if anyone remembers them, they were great until they went pop, literally pop and had a fat hole in them, couldn't get replacements either, when I took them out they were the most rotten part of the car, put it on Spax and thought they were much better.