ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GAZ COILS OVERS - opinion's please.

RenaultSport 172.
i got GAZ coilovers on my mk1....all i can say is theyre the stiffest coilovers you can buy.....but well worth the money :)

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
i got GAZ coilovers on my mk1....all i can say is theyre the stiffest coilovers you can buy.....but well worth the money :)

Wow the stiffest? not to keen on that.:S Can you not soften the shockers?

Have your bedded in? and also how far have you decked it?

Id only be looking for a 25mm drop for road use and 60mm drop for track.:approve:

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Are there any other brands you can recomend that are more comfortable?

Im on a budget of £500. I heard FK's are good???

Must be adjustable for track and road use... thx

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
strech out and buy some H&Rs . mine are better than the stock ride, and handle for england!

14' Leon Cupra 280
I've got mine sat in the garage (for 182), had them on for 15k, but if your going to spend £500, might as well save bit more for H+R's, otherwise you probs will regret it. I too was on a budget, but once i put on fitting/setup/insurance, i was looking at more money anyway.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
hhumm, i understand what your saying. There is no point spending £500 on something i will regret. I will always wonder what the H&R's cud have been like lol.

Where is the best place to buy H&R's from?

having tried and been in cars with Avo, Gaz, Leda and FK's I'd go as far as to say none are particularly amazing and the relative cost over standard is not worth it. If you want a low looking car get shocks and springs, if you want something you can use on track then imo you'll be spending well over £1k, but you also need to spend another £200+ having them setup properly too...

I think there rubish

Ether spend a fortne or not at all on suspension IMo since stock is so good real.y

having seen the difference between stock, cheapo coilovers and expensive as f**k coilovers I'm now convinced you need to spend well over a grand for a decent setup. Even cheapo coilovers like mine are worse than stock until you set them up and granted, it's better than standard, but then it's also worlds apart from some of the serious kits... it's a mine field. I'd only spend big now having seen the difference it makes... otherwise stick to standard and get shocks and springs to lower it if it's the look you want.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Ok thanks for all the sound advice, i've decided to save the cash and get some eibach prolines as i do intend to track my car so the extra stiffness will help, plus it will lower it a little.

cheers!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
FKs are popular for that sort of money, id personally go for that if your not going to be a hardcore track ****.

Chocolate Bar™
id disagree with most of the above and definetely consider them. for the money, and the fact you get a 2yr warranty i dont think you can complain.

i went out in makavellis 182 on gaz coils and its no harder than my old 1.2 was on fk highsports. so unless you want a seriously focused track beast i really cant see the problem in them.

id disagree with most of the above and definetely consider them. for the money, and the fact you get a 2yr warranty i dont think you can complain.

i went out in makavellis 182 on gaz coils and its no harder than my old 1.2 was on fk highsports. so unless you want a seriously focused track beast i really cant see the problem in them.

Thing is FK highsports are total shite imo, as are Gaz... in fact most coilovers are a waste of time as people just think that throwing them on and lowering them instantly makes the car handle better... It doesn't and having them setup properly costs a s**t load, so say you spend £700 on the kit, another £300 setting up and already you are at a grand... however compare that setup to something that's truely exceptional and you realise how crap cheapo coilovers are. You pay for what you get as with everything in life.

Maz

LY 200

Try driving a car everyday with them on and you will be in a different frame of mind, mine didnt even last 1k miles they were that bad, hard setting was teeth and bone shattering and soft was crashy and unpredictable, 2 year warranty PMSL waste of time.

RenaultSport 172.
Wow the stiffest? not to keen on that.:S Can you not soften the shockers?

Have your bedded in? and also how far have you decked it?

Id only be looking for a 25mm drop for road use and 60mm drop for track.:approve:

theyre on the bump stops...so ridiculously low...:p

Chocolate Bar™

Try driving a car everyday with them on and you will be in a different frame of mind, mine didnt even last 1k miles they were that bad, hard setting was teeth and bone shattering and soft was crashy and unpredictable, 2 year warranty PMSL waste of time.

hes not had any problems, but completely depends on what you want out of your suspension. i personally view fk/gaz as an upgrade from springs to get a specific ride height so comparing them to something worth three times as much isnt a justified argument.

i also think that using the excuse that the car doesnt handle better is just a load of b****cks, as i never even mentioned how the car handled. and was referring purely to the ride hardness which is what most people are concerned about for a road car - considering the fact that if you lower a car onto its arse on coils is never going to make it handle better and youve got to accept some compromises.

RenaultSport 172.
i personally view fk/gaz as an upgrade from springs to get a specific ride height so comparing them to something worth three times as much isnt a justified argument.

X2. i bought coilovers to deck the car..not to make it handle amazing...im not tracking it so....

Maz

LY 200

hes not had any problems, but completely depends on what you want out of your suspension. i personally view fk/gaz as an upgrade from springs to get a specific ride height so comparing them to something worth three times as much isnt a justified argument.

i also think that using the excuse that the car doesnt handle better is just a load of b****cks, as i never even mentioned how the car handled. and was referring purely to the ride hardness which is what most people are concerned about for a road car - considering the fact that if you lower a car onto its arse on coils is never going to make it handle better and youve got to accept some compromises.

Each to their own I say, for the £150 - £200 more I would pref to go for something like H&R etc, Gaz have a bad name, they deserve it IMHO.

If I wanted to lower my car again I would stay away from Gaz.

i personally view fk/gaz as an upgrade from springs to get a specific ride height so comparing them to something worth three times as much isnt a justified argument.

X2. i bought coilovers to deck the car..not to make it handle amazing...im not tracking it so....

And after having and gotten rid of both I would personally view a set of 40mm apex springs as a step up in ride and handling from gaz coilovers.

Track use or not if you are hacking down a back road giving the car some stick and find a bump or bit of uneven tarmac mid bend the setting of either bouncy pogostick or crashy and rock solid will result in one of two things. A change of pants or a trip to the scrapyard for the car, Gaz are to be avoided IMO.

Chocolate Bar™
certainly a justified argument ^ but it really does depend on what you want. as standard my ph1 was amazing fun, so theres no real reason to replace it, other than for looks which is my priority and reason for coils.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

Totally agree with you. Ive just bought a second hand set of Gaz Gold coilovers which retail at nearly bang on what H&R's do. I got these for a half decent price and im upgrading from springs which came on my car. For the same price as half decent springs and shocks I might as well have the height adjustment throw in.

I can see where all the big money track schlag boys are coming from but just because you have the cash to splash out over a grand on a suspension kit and set up doesnt mean all of us have the money or want to do that.

Maz

LY 200
Looks was my only reason when I originally decided on coilovers but I soon realised that looks over handling was not a good idea.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
And after having and gotten rid of both I would personally view a set of 40mm apex springs as a step up in ride and handling from gaz coilovers.

I wouldnt, I have apex rear springs on at the moment. They knock together quite abit and will end up killing my rear shocks in time. I cant see how you can say that standard shocks and budget springs would be better than 2 cheapish coilover kits? You must of had a REALLY bad experience with them sets, or just fussy as hell.

I wouldnt, I have apex rear springs on at the moment. They knock together quite abit and will end up killing my rear shocks in time. I cant see how you can say that standard shocks and budget springs would be better than 2 cheapish coilover kits? You must of had a REALLY bad experience with them sets, or just fussy as hell.

Have you had Gaz coilovers? If not then go ahead then come back to me and give me your feedback, lol

As for big money I'm far from that, and track sl*g, mine's never been on one. I just rather save up a bit of extra cash and buy something decent. As GT Gaz says, buy cheap buy twice....

^ He's just bought a second hand set lol.

His are the "gold" ones not the kit's we had (bet you wish you listened to me now ;) ) although tbh I don't see that making any difference to the performance of the product. Probably just equates to better materials rather than them actually getting spring rates and damping curves right.

Maz

LY 200
Gaz still wont have done any R&D on them for the 182 unless they have re-developed them recently, which if they have I will eat my own ass. I will be suprised if they arn't just as bad, but in gold and with a bigger price ticket :p

PMSL it was too late to listen the order was place iirc.

Last edited:
Gaz still wont have done any R&D on them for the 182 unless they have re-developed them recently, which if they have I will eat my own ass. I will be suprised if they arn't just as bad, but in gold and with a bigger price ticket :p

Pics?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Not fitted yet, but I cant see anything being worse than running standard shocks and Apex springs.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
As I said before gonna take the advice and save the cash and just get some eibach springs for a small drop, just to make the car look right.

Might go for H&R's if I see a cheap second hand pair.

:p