ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox failure (Big Disaster)

Driving the wifes ph2 ff 172 today cam off the Mway on slip road changed from 5th to 4th then bang.

Total loss of power and metal shards flying evrywhere.

Coolant pouring all over the floor and loss of brakes.

Just been towed to garage for intial inspection.

Gearbox / clutch and flywheel distroyed and raditor and pipes gone also looks like the bottom end has gone.

Not a good day at all.

Top it all off had to pay extra for RAC to tow me to garage as it was further then 15 miles.

dont know what to do with the car????.

not sure weather we should scrap it.

It was in mint condition as well FSH cambelt done etc only 60k.

The car had a slight whine in first and secind which started 3 weeks ago wish we had it got it looked at.

Just looked in the policy looks like mechanical failure isnt covered. Still going to call them tomorrow to confirm though.

I couldnt do the work myself.

Will a 182 engine and box fit straight into a 172 ph2?

Whats that £600 for just the gear box in exchange of mine? not that there is much left of it.

Or is that exchange for the full engine?

On intial inspection looks like bottom end has gone too.

clio 182
ive just boguht a 172 box to go on my 182 for £230 including vat and delivery 3 months warranty included. but including all other bits looking atleast £1000+

320d
Might be worth breaking it for spares. Your going to be a couple of grand down unfortunately. Puts me off buying a 172 tbh but I supose could happen to any car.

172 with k-tec sound
do they whine when gear box is on way out mine whines in 1st and second but iv only just had a cambelt change and mine also does it when been reved and when revs are backing off got told its down to new belt bedding in by renault and another garage iv to wait with it been a new belt to see if whine goes after a month or 400 miles

Cheers for all your replys.

Clio Carl thats what the clio was doing whinning in 1st and second. Might be worth getting it checked out. Better a new gear box then a full setup.

Not sure weather to split it or not now.

Insurance does not cover mechanical damage.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
When looking at 172's I missed on a mint one just because it had a whine in 1st. Anyone knows it's not right to whine so why leave it? Don't wait for something to fail.

Bloody unlucky Though and even worse that it's your misses car.

Ph1
I wouldnt split the car. Plenty of boxes and engines flying about cheap at breakers yards.

Its the fitting that would be the expensive part if your not handy with a spanner.

If your thinking of breaking it, why not turn it into a long term project car instead?

ValverInBits
you need a full engine and box from a donor car.
182 and 172Ph2 are the same engine. It's just the exhaust manifold and sometimes a nicer RS stamped inlet on the 182
172Ph2 have different inlet manifold breaters and obviously a cable throttle.

Evo 8 MR
imo I would buy a cheap runaround for the time being whilst you slowly get all the parts for it, sounds scary though, such a huge bill just like that.

PH1 172 Sport
do they whine when gear box is on way out mine whines in 1st and second but iv only just had a cambelt change and mine also does it when been reved and when revs are backing off got told its down to new belt bedding in by renault and another garage iv to wait with it been a new belt to see if whine goes after a month or 400 miles

All the ones ive been in whine slightly in first and second. Cambelts do not bed in so they are talking out of there rear ends.

The engines are quite whiney anyway but anything particuarly loud will need to be checked out. A very whiney belt usually indicates that its been over tensioned.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
sorry to hear that dude my mate has same troubles in his 182 with gearbox crunching

Matty

Mine did that occasionally from new. It was instantly fixed by a gearbox oil change - and for the money, I get it changed quite often.

When mine is bokked in for its 60k service, it will get its third gearbox oil change. Overkill, I know, but worth it imo.

Sorry to hear about the OP's car. :dapprove:

D.

Ph1
182 and 172Ph2 are the same engine. It's just the exhaust manifold and sometimes a nicer RS stamped inlet on the 182

Sure theres other differences like breather set ups?

ValverInBits

172 ph2 , does'nt it have a fly by wire throttle !? (mine does )

My error, Ph2 have FBW :eek:

I meant, 172Ph1 have different inlet manifold breaters and obviously a cable throttle