ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gearbox leaking 172 phase 2

renault clio r 172
Have got à leak on my gearbox have looked under the motor and there are three drops one of the selector and two drops to the back of the gearbox IMAG0880.jpgIMAG0880.jpg

Selector seal. Very very common problem.

Wipe clean , top up and monitor it.

Only "real" fix is box out and open it up to change the seal and whilst at .it refurb it.

renault clio r 172
i have cleaned it up got a bowl under it when it is on the drive and can see three drops coming of it have seen on here if it is dripping it is to much. Lukej have you used this item and did work cheers for the help.

renault clio r 172
ok mate would u say the drips near the back of the gearbox bottom of the pic would be coming from the selector

I had gear oil all over my backbox when my selector seal went.

As ive said before the only proper fix is a new seal which does need the box removing and re building.

These other seal things on the market do not work and i have tried and tested most options that mapco one is the same as the TND product they require you to butcher the outer part of the seal so it can be fitted when its actually the inner part that causes the leak. I would give it a couple of months if you are lucky before it pisses out worse than it did before fitting it . I drove for over 18months with a leaking selector seal and topped it up every 3months. Box died in the end(not oil related) so had the seal done correctly.

Last edited:
  renault clio r 172
ok mate i think i will skip that easy fix then have just found my car on here when it was owned by previous owner and it was leaking then so i will keep it top up for now looking at getting a secound hand gearbox then get it refurbed .

Clio 182
Just my 2p's worth, I had the repair job done a couple of weeks ago as mentioned by @LukeJ, and it seems to have cured my problem (although as @MartinR has said maybe it will return after a month or two).

So far from my experience it's worked a treat (not a drop of oil under the car) and has made the gear change actually feel a little more precise as it's stiffened up just a tad, so it was worth doing just for that if nothing else.

As has been said on different threads on this, mileage may vary, but I had mine done at TwoTechs in Dartford and they said that they'd never heard any bad things about their own repair jobs. If they personally thought it was a waste of time they would have told me, as they've been great for similar things in the past, even if it meant them losing out on some extra labour.

Hope that helps, and cheers Luke for the tag!