ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox repair kit .... any recommendations?

The car is a 2005 Clio 182 cup..... it jumped out of first gear last weekend and I think it can only get worse. I have a break from competition for a few weeks so now seems a good time to refresh the 'box. I'm thinking of a kit that includes at a minimum some new bearings, synchos and seals. Redline mtl seems the oil of choice?
A hillclimb mate owns the local garage and they will do the work for me but I want to make sure I get the best parts. I have found some kits on ebay but I'm not sure of their quality or completeness.

Any recommendations gratefully accepted.

dan's cast offs.
for the price of a new box i'd be tempted to go for one of them, basic rebuild kit as over £300 now, add a selector and couple of gears and you can be getting towards £500!!

dan's cast offs.
a thought they were best part of a grand last year but never actually priced them. will speak to paul at fish tomorrow and see what price he can do them for.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
So it's £924 from PMS, but you get £210 back when they receive a box in exchange?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You can't get anywhere near the price of a service exchange box if you add it all up with new bearings and seals.
I'd be finding out the lead time for a service exchange box as well tbh. Last time I enquired (a month or so ago) there was no lead time given - as in no stock!

Thanks for all the feedback...... it gave me a really good start point.
I had a good chat with a very knowledgeable guy at PMS this lunchtime. His advice was ...
  • Double check the dogbone mount (the harsh treatment it gets at tyre warming / off the line can cause things to move, pulling the car out of first gear).
  • Double check the gear change linkage adjustment (mine is some sort of non standard short shift)
  • If I go for a gearbox refresh kit then it's not that simple job to rebuild the gearbox
  • If I go for a recon gearbox option then I will still have to swap the diff (I have a quaife ATB in my current box)
I will chat the options through with my mechanic mate. Thanks.