ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Genuine Renault cambelt kit or Gates?

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
I understand that Gates supply their cambelts for Renault's genuine cambelt kits.

I can get a genuine cambelt from Renault Wolverhampton for £90.01 (free cam seals) or Pure Motorsport can supply a Gates cambelt kit for £132.

I spoke to my friend last night who said the Gates kits are the ones to go for, superior quality than the genuine Renault parts. But how true is this? Considering they should be the same kit, one with a Renault diamond slapped on the box...

172 cup, Impreza P1
OEM parts are never going to be inferior as they would not want a warranty claim if it did decide to fail.

But as said, OE is gates.

Lionel Richie
Why piss about with non genuine? Genuine parts come with 12 months warranty I can probably beat ren wolv on price

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Why piss about with non genuine? Genuine parts come with 12 months warranty I can probably beat ren wolv on price

Too late now Fred, already ordered the cambelt and dephaser! Ordered for £212, still saved £101 compared to the price Pure Motorsport gave me, they wanted £313 for a Gates cambelt kit and the dephaser pulley, before fitting them.

BTW, it was me who phoned you yesterday about the PAS pump, still unsure whether to replace it or not. The car is on 98k miles so just thought I may as well replace it while the guys at PMS are in that area working.

If it ain't broke don't fix it I suppose though...

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Our parts supplier gives 5yrs/72k warranty on their INA/Gates kits which is why we use them. We had a Renault idler fail at 3yrs old and Renault didn't want to know so we don't use them anymore!