ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

getting the best finish when lacquering

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I've sprayed several bits and pieces over the years and have always been generally happy with how they turn out. But I'm now spraying larger more obvious parts and having trouble getting that perfect finish.

Primering and base coats is fine. Can get the coloue looking great even with a little wet sanding if required.

Trying to get the same when lacquering is a lot more tricky. I seem to get a very fine orange peel / pin prick finish that is only really noticeable when parts are off the car. Tried wet sanding back and leaves a hazy finish when using 1500g paper

have tried both 2k and halfords lacquer and geting it with both.

Any tips:S

If you have tried 2k and get that effect, could be many reasons, but could be your paint mix is wrong (normally 3 - 1), your not putting enough paint on to get the mirror finish, whats the PSI of the spray gun? nozel size?

If you have pics of the issue, ill have a gander.

If you use 1500 on the clear you will need a rotary polisher + G3 or other heavy cutting agent to bring it back up, followed by a G10 or finer compound to finish it off. Failing that a fair bit of hard work by hand polishing!.

Cheers,

Golf GT & A4 Avant
it's all from can I'm afraid. have tried a quite expensive can of lacquer and still got the same effect so guessing it's me rather then paint.

I have a DA polisher so may give that a go shortly, applying lacquer to my fog surrounds tomorrow so will see how I get on.

Ahh Yes heres lies the problem, you will need ALOT of coats from a can and a whole bunch of sanding and polishing to get the glass like finish. The way the 2k clear works is it doesnt rely on the solvents evaporating off leaving the paint behind, its a chemical reaction, which causes it to harden off without loosing much depth, thus you get a good depth from just one coat.

1k U-Pol will work the same if shot from a spray gun, but you will need more coats to get the same depth and it will never be as hard. The main issue with a can, is there just isnt the atomisation and the pressure isnt high enough or constant, so you just dont have much control over putting the paint on.

As with all clear you dont want it to dry too quickly........gravity causes a leveling effect and means you dont see the spray pattern, its tricky business, its not impossible from a can but very difficult.

If you struggle mate i can do you a good price on spraying the surrounds up for you, i have LQ in stock. Good luck, we were all beginners once so stick at it :)