ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GF's Mum Reversed into my 172!!

Megane 225
A Tank (Well a Discovery) And knowing her probably flat to the mat! It was the tow bar that did most of the damage!

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
oh my word, that brings tears to my eyes...
As if relations with the mother-in-law arent hard enough as it is! I would be wanting to rip her apart!

Megane 225
Right, bodyshop rang yesterday to say the asessor would be out on Thurs to look at the car. Guy in bodyshop reckons they will repair the car rather than write it of. My problem now is the loss of value of the car.

Having spoken to a solicitor, I was advised that the insurance wont pay compensation for loss of value!

I now have 3 options!

Get the car fixed and sell it.

Get cash in lieu of repair and then fix myself.

Get cash in lieu of repair then break the car and sell everything!

What do ya's think I should do?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
new door,moulding,quarter panel,moulding /slight repair on inner wheelarch.defiantely does not need a new wheelarch!
easy fixer mate if they want to write it off its due to the garage price not the price of the repairs get another quote and even if your not taking it there am sure you will see a big difference

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
write it off if you can and get the value for the car you will only lose out any other way.
cash then find a new one.

Megane 225
I'm thinking get them to pay out then break it? I think that may be the best way of getting money back! Mite take a bit longer but hey!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
think your best bet is get the car written off its an option open to along with the cash in lieu.
take what the car is worth and replace it.fair deal they cant give you less than what you can replace it for.
honest mate.
good luck let us know how you get on but dont let him push you into anything your the 3rd party so your in a good position to negotiate.
gal/

Megane 225
So do you think I can basically demand market value? Well negotiate it anyway? And if I get it wrote off, my bro (who owns a bodyshop) reckons the car could be bought back for between 10&15% of the write off value?

Hmm maybe...dont mention it unless its reg'd if its fixed independently it won't be logged will it??

Thats what I was thinking. If its repaired and doesn't look any different, unless someone asks noone will know. It only goes down on v5 if its been wrote off then bought back and repaired.

Shouldn't really de value the car.

Megane 225
Needs new quarter panel, inner guard, door and side skirt (depending on whether it can be removed easily! That's about £850 worth of parts! Plus fitting and painting! A 1/4 pannel will take around 5 hrs to remove and refit! It's alot o time on the quote!

£850 for a quarter and door?!? lol side skirt aint touched, neithers the door mouldings. if the inner arch is snapped then fair enough will need another one.

still, any decent bodyshop could do it for around 1k, just make sure it aint a huge one that charges £40 an hour labour etc.

Do you think the panel would pull out? Or is that 1k including replacing the panel?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
why do you want to keep the car so much???
am sure whatever settlement they give you as 3rd party would cover getting a good example again without any history.
fresh start maybe diff colour ect...

Megane 225
why do you want to keep the car so much???
am sure whatever settlement they give you as 3rd party would cover getting a good example again without any history.
fresh start maybe diff colour ect...

They're not going to write it off! They will either repair it or possibly give cash in lieu! Will know if cash is an option in the morning!

Coilovered Clio Dynamique
Thats bad mate, the only people i would go to are SQ, ur bro and suitor are the only ones i would trust after what happened with my sideskirts in a very well known bodyshop in bangor!

Megane 225
Will find out tommorow if the insurance will pay cash in lieu! If they do I'm breaking her! Won't get my money back any other way!

Megane 225
No probs! Was gonna try and sell the whole kit! But will consider splitting! I even know a guy who can paint it!

My saab 93 was damaged similar to yours and I had £2850 cash in leiu.

They basically give you the price on the quote less tha tax for an early settlement.

I then sold my saab as unrecorded salvage and got more than what I paid for the car.

If you wanted just get the cash buy a second hand door and any decent bodyshop will repair that quarter for you then sell the car on as it won't be recorded and you will be ££££ up.

i dont understand? if the car is fixed by your insurance then it wont be noted (cat c/d etc), so how do you think the car will be de-valued?

just get it fixed, and if you still dont want it just sell it on

IMO your not ripping anybody off, it happens all the time

Clio 200
Having spoken to a solicitor, I was advised that the insurance wont pay compensation for loss of value!
quote]

The insurance wont pay any loss of value for the vehicle unless you can proove that you have HAD to sell the car at a loss but even then the policy more than likely wont respond to the claim your making anyway because if they dont categorise it then your not going to loose any money on the resale are you?

Ultra Red Clio 197
Both wings and side skirts sold to me!!

Cant thank you enough Stuart! Tho im not looking forward to seeing the car striped when I go to pick the parts up on thursday.

R.I.P

Megane 225
After alot of thought the car is not in with the Panel beater to be pulled straight. I hate taking panels off a car when there aint much wrong with them. Insurance companies are too quick to replace panels when they could be easily fixed! Car will be up for sale when she's fixed!