ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gone for some vtec y0!

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I've been after 1 of these for a while now & this 1 came up for sale at a price I couldn't afford to say no to.
Picked it up over the weekend & it has a few unusual goodies on it like a bose stereo & climate control from the type v, it's also got leather door cards, electric rear windows and remote boot opening.

Also came with 2 sets of spare wheels, 1 standard set with bridgestone semi slicks & some prelude (I think) wheels with winter tyres. It's mechanically rock solid & was meticulously looked after by the guy I bought it from, who also fitted all the non standard toys.

Drove it home & took the scenic route along the snakes pass

2014-08-04114150_zps06c53691.jpg

2014-08-06135111_zps0428b20b.jpg

2014-08-06135129_zps588ce41a.jpg

2014-08-06135140_zps29225c01.jpg

2014-08-06135208_zpsb44f04a7.jpg

2014-08-06135226_zps5c29d0b8.jpg

2014-08-06135236_zps3ff6a94a.jpg

2014-08-06135252_zpsa0af455c.jpg

2014-08-06135320_zpsa17c2698.jpg

2014-08-06140206_zps1c09d94d.jpg

2014-08-06140214_zps68f3e073.jpg

It's supposed to be my boring daily hack but I plan on sorting out all the cosmetic bits & fitting a nicer exhaust etc but that's after I've got the Clio fixed & back out on track with more power and a gripper diff :evil:

Mercedes C320!
Looks awesome buddy!!! I am on the look out for one aswell, but I haven't been in one yet to see what it goes like! Torn between this a 172! Where abouts in Nottingham are u... Be good to go for a spin ;)

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Looks awesome buddy!!! I am on the look out for one aswell, but I haven't been in one yet to see what it goes like! Torn between this a 172! Where abouts in Nottingham are u... Be good to go for a spin ;)

I'm on the ring road near city hospital, can take you for a spin & show you what to look out for ;)

If it's any help, I'd take one of these over a 172 without batting an eyelid, it's a much nicer car to be in imo & the diff makes such a massive difference

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Love it :)

I did love my old ATR I had the K&N that was down in the wheel arch not the short kit that you have .

Old pic of my one

P1010299.jpg

P1010301.jpg

great cars IMO

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Can't get on with the looks of these at all. No doubts a good laugh banging it vtec.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I loved the looks of my one big 4 door with a huge rear wing :)

They drive great as well .

Only bit was Vtec was hard to keep it in the zone on up shifts .

Alan

Can't get on with the looks of these at all. No doubts a good laugh banging it vtec.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
awesome cars, had a pre face lift pirates black a while backed, lots of bolt ons and coilovers. remaped it myself, dynoed at around 240bhp. once the vtec shift point was changed it made it great as you have to be bang on the money to shift without dropping off cam. Made a awesome noise, handled so well, more like a 4wd than a fwd. if a really nice one came up i might consider ditching the trophy for one.

Last edited by a moderator:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They were cracking cars when they were new, and certainly a lot of car for the peanuts money that they change hands for these days.

Fuel economy is a bit hateful but its about the only downside really!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Great cars. I had a PB pre facelift too.

Fuel economy is a bit hateful but its about the only downside really!

What makes you say that? Mine used to average 30 mpg when I worked it out and I hardly drove like a saint!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Great cars. I had a PB pre facelift too.

What makes you say that? Mine used to average 30 mpg when I worked it out and I hardly drove like a saint!

For a family saloon that is terrible to me, but then I would normally pick a diesel for that sort of use, so was more a comment about luke warm petrol saloons in general than specifically this one.
If you are going to be down that far on economy, may as well have an M3 or an evo etc which is actually quick?

Depends what mileage you are doing I guess, but personally these days I like a car to either be really quick to justify poor economy, or good on fuel.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
its kind of like a big clio, might not be stupid fast but fun and quick in the corners, the diff makes a huge difference. mine was abit thirsty but no different from the clio really, only difference is in the clio if i want to pootle around i can stick it on cruise and get 40+mpg, the accord never would. Great midrange Q car with the ability to be a properly fun family car

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Agreed, the diff is the huge advantage in these, especially in the wet, same with the VTi civic over the non-diff B16 variants

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
For a family saloon that is terrible to me, but then I would normally pick a diesel for that sort of use, so was more a comment about luke warm petrol saloons in general than specifically this one.
If you are going to be down that far on economy, may as well have an M3 or an evo etc which is actually quick?

Depends what mileage you are doing I guess, but personally these days I like a car to either be really quick to justify poor economy, or good on fuel.

Are you joking? It'll do 40mpg on a run. 30 mixed VS an evo which struggles to see 20 at any point. It's reliable too.

They're quicker than a 1*2.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are you joking? It'll do 40mpg on a run. 30 mixed VS an evo which struggles to see 20 at any point. It's reliable too.

They're quicker than a 1*2.

No not joking I never got any of the Accords or Preludes (or intergras for that matter although thats the B series engine so very different) over 30 personally even on a run, where as I frequently hit 40 in 1*2s (sat at 70-80 in both)

And that was back when they were new so not down to worn out one etc

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
No not joking I never got any of the Accords or Preludes (or intergras for that matter although thats the B series engine so very different) over 30 personally even on a run, where as I frequently hit 40 in 1*2s (sat at 70-80 in both)

And that was back when they were new so not down to worn out one etc

How did you work out the mpg in these ATR's out of interest which you never got over 30mpg?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
How did you work out the mpg in these ATR's out of interest?

Same way I always do MPG, full tank of fuel and see how many miles and how many gallons.

In the case of one of the preludes, done over a 80,000 mile period for my tax return as I used to claim the mileage.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Same way I always do MPG, full tank of fuel and see how many miles and how many gallons.

In the case of one of the preludes, done over a 80,000 mile period for my tax return as I used to claim the mileage.

Ok, Chip. Well I'm speaking from what I know and what hundreds of others agree with on the internet.

But if you think someone who wants a cheap to run, great handling, 5 door door saloon should get a M3 then so be it..lol. Missing the point much..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ok, Chip. Well I'm speaking from what I know and what hundreds of others agree with on the internet.

But if you think someone who wants a cheap to run, great handling, 5 door door saloon should get a M3 then so be it..lol. Missing the point much..

I dont think that, not at all, like I said I think these are a bargain for what they are, and the only downside I think they have is that if you are doing a lot of miles then in my experience they are a bit thirsty which I find painful for the performance, and then I just used an M3 as an example of something with not too dissimilar economy that I dont mind cause it goes so much better, wasnt saying it was a suitable alternative for the same money though so I can only apologise if my post somehow gave you that impression as it wasnt meant to.
You can get a pretty reasonable accord for 2K, you wouldnt even get a nail of an M3 for that money, so in terms of purchase cost they just arent comparable at all.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Not too dis similar economy? Accord running costs vs M3/Evo running costs? Mate you're in a world of your own.

I'm out. Sorry OP. Great cars.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not too dis similar economy?
Ive not had the 40mpg out of them you claim you get, so I guess thats why our views are so different.

Maybe I used to drive quicker back then though, so if you say they do better economy than I remember, perhaps I just had an heavier right foot as we are talking over a dozen years ago, and although I do remember the mpg I cant say hand on heart I didnt drive faster back then, the roads were less busy and less cameras so perhaps I did and hence perhaps I am remembering it wrong.

Edit:
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/honda/accord/saloon-1998/20544/

Manufacturer claim is only 29mpg as well according to a quick google, so I dont seem to be alone in not getting 40mpg out of them like you.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I've been driving a gutless n/a volvo estate rammed full of tools & other assorted crap as my daily for a while so the mpg of the accord will be a treat :rofl:

For me it's just about having something that's quite nice & civilised to use day to day but still interesting enough to have a bit of fun with. I'm itching to do another track day but haven't quite got the money to fix the clio yet :( and as this also came with an extra set of wheels with semi slicks on them it'd be rude not to :D

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Ive not had the 40mpg out of them you claim you get, so I guess thats why our views are so different.

Maybe I used to drive quicker back then though, so if you say they do better economy than I remember, perhaps I just had an heavier right foot as we are talking over a dozen years ago, and although I do remember the mpg I cant say hand on heart I didnt drive faster back then, the roads were less busy and less cameras so perhaps I did and hence perhaps I am remembering it wrong.

Edit:
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/honda/accord/saloon-1998/20544/

Manufacturer claim is only 29mpg as well according to a quick google, so I dont seem to be alone in not getting 40mpg out of them like you.

Christ chip you're special sometimes. Just quoting parkers figures now? Bit like your 172 wont do the 40mpg you claim because parkers says so - http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/renault/clio/renaultsport-2001/21329/ :rolleyes:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Flol! Now we're comparing M3s with a Honda Accord!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Great cars and genuine bargains, fast, reliable family saloon. OP looks like a good one in the correct colour imo.

How the hell did CS manage to sidetrack onto comparing an M3 with a Accord Type R though??? Madness.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Great cars and genuine bargains, fast, reliable family saloon. OP looks like a good one in the correct colour imo.

How the hell did CS manage to sidetrack onto comparing an M3 with a Accord Type R though??? Madness.

C H I P.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

It didnt particularly, I said I thought they were great cars but the only downside was I didnt think much of the fuel economy, someone then asked what I was on about and I said when it comes to salloons I tend to prefer them either diesel and economical or genuinely quick like an m3, rather than something a bit middling on performance that still isnt great on fuel, no one was directly comparing the two cars anymore than that though as far I have seen in the thread.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Looking back on my short stint of ATR ownership so far, I've done quite a fair bit to it so I thought it'd be worth collating it together

How it all started, with a bit of a scabby front end but mechanically good

2014-08-06%2013.51.40_zps8wb5umer.jpg

Several months of pretty much hassle free motoring passed with only fitting new brakes at the back and having to do the lower ball joints to then be faced with the exhaust falling off a week before a trackday :evil:/>/> which forced me to get a new 1 made up sooner than I had planned for

20141024_153348_zpshwrvexdt.jpg

20141024_153331_zpszih7mstx.jpg

20141024_153325_zps03ishm2t.jpg

20141024_153055_zpsbqquwhn6.jpg

Had an enjoyable day at Bedford in November

DSC_7309_zpsw5iooz7c.jpg

Unfortunately the day after the trackday the clutch shat itself but it had to wait as the car was booked in to have all the paintwork sorted out. Bonnet, wings, mirrors were done along with both bumpers having pre style lips fitted :D/>/> There's still a couple of other bits that need doing but I couldn't afford to get them done because of the exhaust problem :roll:/>/>

10351009_1528401930736028_681308714600259268_n_zpst9fchaqd.jpg

10624779_1528402027402685_5800759302246361847_n_zpsy4ekntsb.jpg

I then had a bit of a disappointing day at Surrey Rolling Road :(/>/>

20141129_100010_zpsq0krvgs3.jpg

20141129_101254_zpslnuqtk5r.jpg

Cause of the pig rich fuelling was the K&N cone filter being clogged up with crap from the front end being painted :oops:/>/> I binned it & got a Ram Air filter instead then logged the AFR's & they're back into the 13's so should make decent power next time I get it on the rollers

All that followed by a day at Cadwell Park at the beginning of December

IMG_8866_zpsxf7mbpyy.jpg

December and it's usual weather meant that the winter shoes were then fitted, winter tyres & LSD are a revelation in the snow & I was able to drive anywhere at pretty much normal speeds in the snow :D/>

20141226_214946_zpsy2p2bkf5.jpg

Into the new year (well March to be exact) thanks to a fellow ATR owner I know from a Volvo forum I got a set of RSR's & fitted them to the track wheels I've had for bloody ages

20150321_061519_zpsgzehchb3.jpg

Then did my 1st trackday of the year

20150331_113749_zpszilhrl4r.jpg

IMG_0018_zpsykrrrkov.jpg

IMG_0124_zpse44o0spn.jpg

IMG_8441_zpswzgwndrr.jpg

IMG_9735%202_zpsx3q12g4w.jpg

Overtaking a Caterham y0!

IMG_9244%202_zpskeaurnyx.jpg

and to round off the update I've had my standard wheels refurbished

20150403_222224_zpsnr6kudrb.jpg

The car needs a bit of tlc in the form of new brakes up front & a bloody good clean after Oulton so I'll fit the fresh wheels then but now all of my efforts need to go into getting my proper track car fixed & back out to play

20140914_145006_zps2obiexcz.jpg

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Time for a little update.

I failed to get my track car ready for a trackday at Castle Combe back in June so ended up taking the ATR. Because 2 of my semi slick tyres were buggered I eneded up taking just 2, fitting them to the front and putting my most worn Potenzas on the back and all I can say is that I was finally happy with how the car handles.
That little bit more grip up front compared to the back made all the difference making the back end of the car move around a bit more & I loved it

Unfortunately around lunchtime things went south rather quickly

_JEN5717_zpsdgcwyvqu.jpg

That cloud of smoke was the engine letting go. Very odd circumstances as well, for those of you familiar with Combe, it happened at Folly. I was flat out in 4th gear & starting to make the turn when there was a loud crunch followed by what can only be best described as though I'd put my foot on the clutch and with my foot hard to the floor the engine then revved it's nuts off & cut out.

I managed to get the car just past Quarry & pulled up on the grass, right next to a massive Honda advertising board of all bloody things and to top it off it took ages before they red flagged the session to recover me so had to suffer the humiliation of 1 particular former ATR owner driving past me 5 times pointing, laughing & calling me a wanker or variations of it although to be fair to him, on the 5th time around he just shrugged his shoulders as he'd run out of ideas.

Got a tow back to the Hotel I was staying at & called the AA. I knew it was fecked long before they showed up, the engine wasn't seized as such but would only turn so far before locking solid. The AA man said snapped cambelt. The way it went also made me decide not to piss about & go for a replacement engine and box.

Tow%20home_zpskszyitlb.jpg

Got the car home & dumped it in my lockup, took the cam over off just on the off chance the AA man was right but the belt was still intact so it got dumped whilst I got some overtime in to pay for everything

20150905_104328_zpsnzhvdftn.jpg

A couple of weeks later I was all lined up to buy an engine & rebuilt box from a guy in Stoke that breaks ATR's but for a couple of hundred quid more I stumbled upon another car that had similar mileage and a rebuilt box so ended up buying it to break and to learn how they're put together so I would know what I'm doing when it comes to swapping the engine etc on mine.

20150707_095048_zpspcjrvmzy.jpg

Nothing much got done through most of August as I was awaiting delivery of goodies for the new lump. The main wait was for a delivery of a balance shaft delete kit & manual tensioner from H-Tune. It took a while as they were waiting for their 1st batch of stock from Kaizenspeed to make it's way here from the states. Also got myself a lightweight flywheel

So last weekend, the car saw daylight for the 1st time in almost 3 months & I got it moved to my mates workshop to start ripping the engine out

20150905_173057_zpsswhdvbxn.jpg

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
1st job was to drop all the fluids. My car has a magnetic sump plug & when I undone it I was greeted by quite a lot of water which seemed odd at the time, then came the oil followed by a bit of light being shed upon what damage I'd done

20150906_114051_zpsniiyceim.jpg

Once I'd got the downpipe off, I crawled out from underneath the car, grabbed the downpipe & heard something rattling inside & I thought oh balls I've dropped a bolt in there
icon_rolleyes.gif
Tipped it over to be greeted with this

20150906_130836_zpswy2eieod.jpg

Closer inspection of the grooves here shows this was part of a piston had been spat out of the exhaust port

20150906_222527_zpspiz80dd2.jpg

FB_IMG_1441575149161_zpsnkqtmp58.jpg

Whipped off the exhaust manifold to get a better look inside

20150906_182335_zpsgsyhryo2.jpg

20150906_182354_zpscps75x3z.jpg

20150906_182416_zpsszengiyy.jpg

Om nom nom nom nom nom nom said the engine to the exhaust valve

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Head off

20150907_113239_zpsawsvhhdu.jpg

20150907_113246_zpsvcfyynb1.jpg

20150907_113256_zps9zeapnbp.jpg

Thankfully the mesh filter in the oil pickup did it's job & stopped any piston debris from getting into the rest of the engine & causing any more damage
icon_razz.gif

20150907_150429_zpscxzklrly.jpg

Sump off

20150907_150450_zpspgpmovgo.jpg

20150907_150456_zpszmouhldv.jpg

20150907_150551_zps3jjpyuac.jpg

20150907_150559_zpssdoae4qw.jpg

20150907_150607_zps8etfwmip.jpg

20150907_155417_zpshulh4ngd.jpg

20150907_155501_zpshyuq8pkg.jpg

The only 3 pieces left of what was once a piston & 1 of those big lumps was wedged between the block & crank which solves the mystery of why it would only turn over so far & lock solid

20150907_155436_zpsabggg9vq.jpg

Another bit of dead engine memoribilia to add to the shelf of engine death in my garage. Honda supposedly managed to build umpteel million VTEC units without major failure until I get into them, I'm quite proud of how much damage I managed to do especially as it did it whilst the car was being driven properly
icon_biggrin.gif

FB_IMG_1441640610313_zpsrcmjiylq.jpg