ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Good day to all - Let’s get to the point

Hi to all of you reading and participating this Forum.

Now, I am a Reno freak for a decade+. I owned many Renos including 5 GT Turbo and Clio RS 172 Mk I. I sold my Renaultsport 172 Mk I this January and from then on I have been pondering my head whether to buy me another Clio that is much shouted about 182. Why pondering? I will tell you why.

Namely I got me troubles with big T with that "pot de detente" exhaust system on Mk I. Although the whole world, yes world (not only Europe) shouted about the low quality "pot", Reno did NOT want to hear about it. Complaints from my side were refused with the usual R sugar cream on it. And I had to swallow that 1000 "deutche marks" for that damned "pot".

And now dear God, I have been reading and listening about those probs of the new 182. Gearbox cracking, suspension banging reports from England and some interference between chassis and collector stuff reported from France, et cetera.

I became extremely suspicious whether to abandon the purchase completely.

So, can somebody pour me some sober advice what to do. I just dont want to write complaints the very first month I get me a car.

Looking forward to your answers.

VaVaVoom 182 ? (cooling down I am afraid)

Hello, Hi, Aloha, Good day, again,

43 people have read my post so far and no single answer? Come on, lets bite this rotten apple together. It is about HIGH TIME. Personally, I am fed up with cars that are not ready when they come out to the market.

Well, I can hear some of you saying: " Now, sir, you must consider some teething problems". To hell with teething problems, Renaultsport people have just enough expertise to prepare the car properly. They had teething problems with Mk I and Mk II cars and also with Rag.

As my favourite song by The Fabolous Thunderbirds (Texas, USA) says:

THATS ENUFF OF THAT STUFF.

Lookin forward to your answers.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

So basically you want to know if you should get a 182 because it has faults?

You sure your a renault freak?

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 19 April 2004

So basically you want to know if you should get a 182 because it has faults?

You sure your a renault freak?
Play nice!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Of course it will have some faults. Some cars have a few, others a lot. You just cant tell. Not all the 172s had the exhaust fault you describe, and here in the UK most have been replaced under warranty.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Mate if you get a 182, you gonna have a problem, whether it be small or large scale, but then find a me new car that consistently has no problems accross the entire amount of that model sold.

It just aint gonna happen !

Reno are like Microsoft, they dont fix the faults, they just replace them with new and improved ones. Buy a Ferrari Enzo, I hear there an okay car

IMHO the most important question is this:

How will you fill after not buying the Clio 182?

When I bought my MK2 172 I had a lot of other options and I knew I should expect some sort of problems with the car (fortunatelly, nothing was very bad) but I was 100% that if I didnt bought the Clio I would feel bad and probably a bit frustrated for a LONG time. I WANTED the MK2 172 and I went for it. An yes, it has some interior rattles that my friends Skoda doesnt. Still, I never felt sorry for my choice.

So, maybe you should be more worried about how youll feel if you DONT buy the car, rather than how youll feel for buying it :)

Besides this, no matter how you look at the issue, the Clio 172 is very much of a car for the cost.

Just MHO.

-2Cents

Hi again to all of you guys,

Well, is there someone who has done, say 2000, 3000 (or better more) miles in Clio 182 and has no complaints so far?

Up to this very moment I havent heard a completely positive response/opinion regarding the 182 quality. Only complaints - and complaints again.

Now, is there anybody out there?

VaVaVoom 182 ?

Mk2 Golf GTI

every f**king car has problems!!!! its not as if the whole car catches on fire.

the only thing i really dont like is the fact that the headlight washers stick out on the bumper, ugly black stumps. werent they hidden away on the mk2 172 behind a little flap in the bumper?

Thing is mate youll never get posts on here that say "my car didnt break down last month" or "three months and no hastle" youll only ever hear about the negatives.

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

id rather get a 182 and have some teething probs than get something else i didnt really want, anyway count yourself lucky that u can get one.:)

Quote: Originally posted by spirez on 19 April 2004

every f**king car has problems!!!! its not as if the whole car catches on fire.

the only thing i really dont like is the fact that the headlight washers stick out on the bumper, ugly black stumps. werent they hidden away on the mk2 172 behind a little flap in the bumper?

Nope they are the same on te mkII 172, you might be thinking of the cup as this has 2 little flaps where the headlight washers should go.

Dear Renaultsportlers,

Please report your current satisfaction regarding the car itself. State the miles you got on the clock, options purchased and your short survey.

I would much appreciate your views/comments/whatever.

Thank you in advance.

Clio 197

I would say that the 182 is really the same as the 172. If you want one buy it. Ive used one litre of oil in a very hard 15,000km. Nothing has gone wrong. Maybe Im just lucky.

What are you comparing the car with? How do you want to use it? If you already owned an Clio Renault Sport, you can answer most of your questions yourself.

If you are a Renault freak, youll just ante up like the rest of us, and take your chances!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I may be tempting fate here but...

Since 28/11/2003 Ive covered >10,500 miles in my Cup and have had NO problems.

The 182 isnt that different to the normal RS cars where qualitys concerned is it?

Orange 182

Ive had my 182 just over 3 weeks now and I have had a problem since day 1 with my gearbox (apparently a common problem). Today my car went back to the dealer to simply get the gearbox replaced. I am hoping that there are no other problems, and there is currently nothing else obviously wrong with the car.

I have to say that despite my gearbox prob (which initially p!ssed me off a bit) I am thoroughly chuffed with the 182. It makes me smile everytime I look at it and driving it is even better...

well its a french car so its bound to be built poorly and start falling apart before its 1st birthday. But hey, youve owned a few so I guess you know that already ;)

If you want a quality reliable car then buy something built by the Germans or the Japs. Im thirtysomething and Ive never owned a Renault before. Why am I buying one? Cos I fancy something cheap thats a bit of fun to punt around in. Maybe Ill regret it when the gearbox falls out, lol

Get a Civic Type R if youve got the extra cash and can stomach the looks - that gearbox is just soooo goooorrrrrgeeeeeeeeous.

Lots of Alfas

Cant you find one you like, take it for a test drive, test EVERYTHING works from reverse gear to the boot light, then buy it if your satisfied if not find another, and remeber you have always got a warranty to fall back on.

Now, I am fourtysome and tired of such words as Clientele Service Reno and such.

Therefore, you said take it to the test drive. OK. BUT .. I have never heard that someone detected a faulty gearbox during the test drive. Chances are minimal. These failures occur probably between 1000 and 3000 miles.

Then, just imagine you have no other choice but to buy the car you ordered (as there is NO STOCK in the country). Again, you can take it for a ride when it is delivered but there is 1 against 1000 chance you will not detect such thing.

On the other hand, French jornalist have detected a chassis/collector interference under very hard acceleration. Has somebody from UK spotted such thing? I have read that the problem is related to the engine mount.

And there is a suspension. Lots of reports on suspension cracking etc.

Its a pity for this car. It could be a terrific car as it got one of the heartiest engine for the price. I have just hoped they finally made their homework. Have they?

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

ive had no problems with my 1.4 16v and ive done 1997miles now. NONE at all and ive lowerd it and got a filter on there. not saying its a performance car but ive pushed it hard and ive not had a murmer of a complaint from the revvy little engine, and plus, thers no rattles. OK just thought of one problem... ive got black metalic paint and it scratches wen water hits hit (not litterally)! lol... no, i mean the brambles in the country lanes make scratches all too easily but then thats common on metailc paint init?

-phil-

(buy it vavavoom 182? bcoz u will regret it if u dont!)

-phil-

Scruffy blue 182

Ive done nearly 1500 miles in my 182 now, without (jinxed now!) ANY problems. This car has everything you could ever want without having to spend BIG money, cant see how anyone would consider anything else.....

Lots of Alfas

Weve had NO problems from our clios either and have done 58k miles in one of them but they are not high perfomance sports! The problem is the 172s, 182s and V6s are made in a different renault sport factory by monkeys and they have a lot of different components from the rest of the clio range. Cmon you 182 owners that have had NO problems post something, Im curious too!

dk

911 GTS Cab

have done 2500 miles and so far just have a knocking when moving in traffic whic i think is the exhaust hitting the subframe at the front as i have rub marks on the exhaust exit where they are moving and is going in on friday to hopefully get it sorted but it hasnt hindered my enjoyment one little bit and the car is fantasic, these days, i think you either get a good or a bad one its the luck of the drawer.

A guy at work has a 80k merc and he has a leaking roof, another guy has a month old porsche boxster s and his has already broken down a couple of times, if you like the car, just buy it and enjoy it, the problems will always be superceeded by the pleasures it gives!

I have done 1600 miles with no problems, squeaks or rattles. (holding onto wooden desk as I type).

Would definately recommend one based on my experience to date.

I also know someone who has a 80k merc Dave, I think it is called an SL500, big S class coupe and it is terrible, interior door handle came of in his hand for instance. He will not be buying another merc.

30000 miles in a mk2 172 and it despite a few niggles, it was definitely worth it. Im sure the 182 is the same.

Good morning guys,

I am still online as I am working (I am an ex-English teacher, a proud owner of RSA TEFLA who turned tech writer for hi-tech companies).

I have some extra questions for the new owners of 182:

1. Does your 182 steer in the right/left direction?
2. Have you noticed any interference between chassis and collector?
3. 4K rattle - Has it disappeared in this 182 rencarnation?
4. Tell me about the ABS. Is it still acting prematurely as in the old Mk I version?
5. Some of you have probably already push 182 up to the green light mounted in the dashboard? How did the engine react? Give some comments.
6. Gearchange lever smoothness. Have you experienced any troubles when changing from the upper to the lower gear? If Yes, what was the sequence? 5th->4th or 3rd->2nd?
7. Accelerator pedal - Have you ever had any "sticky" feeeling?
8. And what about the speed limiter? There were stories about "losing power" which re-emerged afterwards????!!!!

Any your comments and answers will be MUCH APPRECIATED.

VaVaVoom 182 ?

Quote: Originally posted by VaVaVoom 182 ? on 19 April 2004

1. Does your 182 steer in the right/left direction?
I have to say that on the test drive, the 182 steered both left AND right ;)

... sorry ... Ill go away now.

Craigpenton,

Its a fine joke.

But the question actually was: What was the direction of the car? Did the car go straight?
There are reports from France indicating that there are problems also with the direction.

Good day.

if its anything like my 172, then it should b ok. after 25000 miles driving the way i do, any faults would of shown up. im sure the 182 is fine as tom182 said!

well even my last Ford was seemingly better built than the new Renos, from what people say, I would expect any major faults. If they did happen to rear their ugly heads then the warrenty would surely cover them??? Failing that you can always complain to fair trading if it is out of warrenty, as there is a certain level of how sh*t a car can be, the benchmark used to be Ford...

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by VaVaVoom 182 ? on 20 April 2004
James Hi,Renaultsport expertise is such that we should expect a lot. No doubt about it.But somehow they do not manage the project all the way.

Never mind. Im sure you will find something which you are 100% happy with.

Good hunting.