ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GoPro Mounting

172 Cup
With the MSA supposedly outlawing suction cup mounts and even potentially plastic cage mounts (based on discussion on UphillRacers) what other options are people using for mounting GoPros/other cameras.
I was thinking either of one of the headrest mounting bars or alternatively something that could screw/rivnut to the dashboard (holes hidden conveniently under the rubber mat for the trinket tray on a ph2). N.B. I don't have a rollcage at present.
Any other thoughts?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
People do use that tray. One of the chaps used it with a digital camera. I will use mine on the roll cage

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Use the sticky mounts that they come with?

They are pretty solid once stuck down, I removed a couple of mounts that i had in the interior of my stripped Fiesta and they took the paint with them LOL!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I use a manfrotto clamp for securing mine to the cage. It's used by lighting engineers in theatres to hold the lights up, so more than capable of holding a gopro/a n other camera.

Clio 182 FF
Currently I use a bar type mount on my passenger headrest post but it gets a bit shakey so I'm looking into other options now and I'm beginning to think ill just stick it into the dash top tray with the matt removed

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I originally stuck mine on the dash of my Clio, but it kept picking up a rattle sound from the dashboard which was really annoying. I have since made a mount that bolts through the harness holes of the passenger bucket seat, then has a piece of alloy angle across to the middle of the car.
Dash mounted
Seat bracket

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
flol, that was my thought when I saw them!

I just looked at some 25mm box section, and a couple of 10mm holes (measured against the headrest)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Use the sticky mounts that they come with?

They are pretty solid once stuck down, I removed a couple of mounts that i had in the interior of my stripped Fiesta and they took the paint with them LOL!

Exactly this.

I repositioned my front and rear stuck on mounts yesterday and changed over to 'No More Nails' double sided tape. Stuck directly to the glass there's no chance they're ever coming off unless I want them to.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
flol, that was my thought when I saw them!

I just looked at some 25mm box section, and a couple of 10mm holes (measured against the headrest)

I use the u-bolts to clamp around the two headrest posts, with two holes on each side going through the 25mm round bar and wingnuts to secure it.

I think it's a lot more stable than the headrest posts slotting through the bar itself.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
lol, I haven't bothered going that indepth yet due to the car being broken, again.

At the moment its mounted to the passenger headrest post using the official GoPro handlebar bike mount with the fat rubber damper and a couple of 90' arms.

172 Cup
I think I'm going to go down the mount stuck to the windscreen route. Still fancy the idea of sticking it to the trinket tray but I'd need to raise it up a bit which adds some complication.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
This was mine as of today;

71dd4cbd3b2a0c5dfe92dd1e176a0ab5.jpg

0acb2676ba237f62b626b1ac2a5e4303.jpg

I'll see what the video looks like tomorrow, then move if necessary.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
@dann2707

This is my bar mount. That help?

It mounts between the two seats using one headrest post off each, but the same could be used to mount it off one seat using both it's headrest posts.

Attachments

• IMG_20150217_173643.jpg
    IMG_20150217_173643.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_20150217_173704.jpg
    IMG_20150217_173704.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 178

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
@JamesBryan I was going to build something similar but I hit a bit of a stumbling block with the u-bolts, they seem to be a nightmare to get hold of locally and there's so many different sizes online (I ended up with a tiny test one which is no use to anyone!) did you just get yours online?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
@JamesBryan I was going to build something similar but I hit a bit of a stumbling block with the u-bolts, they seem to be a nightmare to get hold of locally and there's so many different sizes online (I ended up with a tiny test one which is no use to anyone!) did you just get yours online?

I actually got them off my mates dad, Paul.

They were ones which are used to clamp TV aerial poles to the wall.

Mine are 50mm wide by 70mm long if that helps. The width could be smaller if you wanted though.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I was at Silverstone on Friday & go pro with suction mounts are allowed.

What is NOT allowed are the 1970 p**n cameras etc suction mounted to windows.

Was told little go pros are fine.

Will how how this goes as I attend other venues.

02 Iceberg 172
Thought I would post up my options for mounting a Gopro without using a suction cup. I was told that in-cabin suction cup mounts were banned when I was doing a track day at Phillip Island, which was pretty frustrating as they were fine to use at the other tracks I have been too.

First option is with the camera offset to the headrest, using 25mm square section aluminium tube with a couple of u-bolts and wing nuts to attached the mount bar to the headrest poles. I have also drilled a couple more holes to potentially allow the mount to be swapped over to the driver's seat, with the camera sited further out from the headrest and getting an over-the-shoulder view.

Second option if the first option isn't deemed acceptable by the scrutineers (possibly due to perhaps a metal bar protruding out from the headrest? Not sure if it would be an issue but figured worth trying to cover all bases :tongueout:) is similar but mounts the camera centrally in front of the headrest, which should give a 'passenger's eye' view and means that there isn't any metal bar protruding sideways towards the driver out from the headrest. The smaller piece of 25mm square section is fixed to the larger bar by the 1/4" bolt that passes through and threads into the Gopro mount on the front. Due to the fact that the headrest/seat might have a tendency for movement under heavy braking/cornering I've also used a small 20mm right angle bracket on the rear and located on the 1/4" bolt as an anchor point for a tether to the d-ring on the floor to ensure the headrest/seat is held down tight to restrict any movement (I'll put a similar anchor point on the first option as well).

Pretty quick and cheap to make. Hopefully between these and the suction cup mount I won't have any more issues with being unable to mount my Gopro in-cabin no matter where I go.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I just cut a hole in the roof lining where theres a beam from B-B pillar and took the sticky pad off the mount and used Araldite, It isn't going anywhere.