ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GoPro's

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Yo!

What's the score with these?

There looks to be a few models on the market. The Hero 3+ looks to be well priced vs spec?

I fancy getting one to use while away skying and to film a little car footage. Not sure whether it'll get much use so I was wondering what else you use yours for?

Good little gadget or a waste of cash???

I'll need to buy some attachments.

Cheers.

As you say, depends entirely if you're going to use it.

Got a GoPro 3 Black here I hardly ever use, so not really money well spent here, but if you use it they're fantastic little cameras!

Also worth noting the Hero 4 is out now, or on pre-order, not quite sure. So the 3 may reduce in price!

mk1 Octavia VRS
The Apple of the sport video camera market. Not saying they aren't good, but like Apple products there are cheaper options.

I bought an SJ4000 copy and am really happy with it except that one of the buttons on the waterproof case came off so it's no longer waterproof. I haven't got round to uploading any of my clips yet but there is a review and some other clips on YouTube.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
As you say, depends entirely if you're going to use it.

Got a GoPro 3 Black here I hardly ever use, so not really money well spent here, but if you use it they're fantastic little cameras!

Also worth noting the Hero 4 is out now, or on pre-order, not quite sure. So the 3 may reduce in price!

Yeah I can see why most would just be sat in a draw.

You can get a 3+ for £199.

They've also just released a bargain basement version called the Hero for £99 and a 3+ White for £149.

http://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/cameras

Question is is there a significant difference in quality between the different models?

Eg 1080p @ 30fps vs 1080p @ 60fps

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Could I strap one of these to the outside of my car to film/take regular photographs as I drive around on a road trip?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I have a GoPro HD Hero2 with the Motorsports mounting package, have had it for a couple of years now and had plenty of good use out of it.

However, I'm about to sell it and use the funds to buy 2x Mobius cameras. The money from the HD2 will not only fund buying the Mobius cameras themselves but will also cover a load of different mounts that I want to try out.

I'm losing nothing at all by doing this and I'm gaining a second camera and angle.

Given that I'd really consider if you should be spending out on GoPro kit...as said above, they're the Apple of the mobile camera world...and the high prices I can't see as justifiable with what else is out there.

Very true, the Mobius is a great camera ( got one myself ).

Depends entirely what you're using it for, the picture quality isn't quite as good on the SJ or the Mobius, but it's certainly good enough for 99% of usage!

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
I really want one for some reason. But I know for a fact I wouldn't use it.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I have a hero 3+ silver edition
I've used it in the car for track days etc
Also it got loads of use on holiday this year in the pool and the sea whilst on boat trips

I agree it's pricey, but it's something which I imagine will last for years regardless of newer models being released.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I am a little disappointed the 4 doesn't have 240fps at 720p like the iPhone, but it's still got some nice specs.
Get one, you don't go skiing everyday so having an action camera to capture the moments is a worthy purchase IMO. If you just want it to capture car footage then there are cheaper alternatives.

I have a hero 3+ silver edition
I've used it in the car for track days etc
Also it got loads of use on holiday this year in the pool and the sea whilst on boat trips

I agree it's pricey, but it's something which I imagine will last for years regardless of newer models being released.

Same here, with the waterproof case it's absolutely perfect for this, get some awesome videos + pictures!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
You can pick up the 3+ silver for £199.

That's got to be the weapon of choice surely???

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
You can pick up the 3+ silver for £199.

That's got to be the weapon of choice surely???
Give G172 a message on here
I'm sure he can still get hold of them
He did a great deal on mine :)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I'd love one of these purely to record Tough Mudder when I do it but can't justify the money for a one off use :(

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
So long as you attach it to a sturdy enough surface they're rock solid...

Yeah looks sweet that. I'm more thinking the lines of setting the camera up to take a picture every couple of minutes for a static image of the countryside as I whiz past some lovely roads in Southern Ireland... hopefully that'd work, to an extent.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I'm really thinking of one for Karting, skiing and possibly jetskiing.

What's the best camera out there than can be mounted to the kart, helmet etc?

Clio
Saw this from a GoPro the other day. I guess its been enhanced but looks awesome.

1412831371115_wps_5_Depending_on_your_perspec.jpg

Fabia VRS Special Ed
GoPro 4 is probably the best for the money, 4k @ 30fps.

There'll be other things out there, but not sure of any that high for that cheap.
Do you think the 3 White is better value at £150 or pay the £50 extra for 4?

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I'd be more interested where you're finding the 4 for only 200 quid!? (or is it not the 4 Black?)

Thought it was more 350?

I'm tired and somehow misread your post. I thought you said it was £200 haha?!

I'm tempted to order a 3 White tomorrow for Friday testing (karting).

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
The 4 silver looks lovely with its LCD screen. Not bad @ £290 either.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I had an original gopro for 3 years and put it to loads of use really.

The missus just bought me a hero 3 white for my birthday. Brilliant piece of kit. The way it connects to your iPhone for live viewing and remote control is perfect.

I'd definitely recommend one.

Check this out -

I have a GoPro HD Hero2 with the Motorsports mounting package, have had it for a couple of years now and had plenty of good use out of it.

However, I'm about to sell it and use the funds to buy 2x Mobius cameras. The money from the HD2 will not only fund buying the Mobius cameras themselves but will also cover a load of different mounts that I want to try out.

I'm losing nothing at all by doing this and I'm gaining a second camera and angle.

Given that I'd really consider if you should be spending out on GoPro kit...as said above, they're the Apple of the mobile camera world...and the high prices I can't see as justifiable with what else is out there.
Hm Mark?
I'm very local so could pick up?