ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

got my spl tested!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by 16vClio on 18 May 2005

Quote: Originally posted by DynamiqueDick on 16 May 2005

Sorry but i fail to see you car hitting 144 DB with those subs No way no chance in hell!!!

I run A genisis 5 channel amp with focal K2 components all round and a 15inch poly kevlar sub and i hit 142 at peak!!

Sorry but those pioneers would blow up at that volume!!:sick:

They must have messed up the recording!!

What genesis you running mate?

Ive got a profile 5.....love it!
Its not the profile its the top one the chrome cased one

I for one am amazed i didnt start this thread out of

Jealousy

Bitchiness

Or because i claim to have superior just generally shocked

now all i have to figure out is why people spend there money on expensive products such genisis £3000+ components or £1000 Jl subs etc when they could just go halfords by some pioneer and rock the show!!

i really dont mean to be nasty bout this just cant see how or why there is any need for higher end kit if the lower end is louder??!?!??!:confused:

Custom Clio Panache

im guessin he means does that the cheaper stuff provides same quality of sound as the more expensive stuff

i agree with him, its not bout wat u use, its how u use it

ST

Quote: Originally posted by DynamiqueDick on 18 May 2005

Quote: Originally posted by 16vClio on 18 May 2005

Quote: Originally posted by DynamiqueDick on 16 May 2005

Sorry but i fail to see you car hitting 144 DB with those subs No way no chance in hell!!!

I run A genisis 5 channel amp with focal K2 components all round and a 15inch poly kevlar sub and i hit 142 at peak!!

Sorry but those pioneers would blow up at that volume!!:sick:

They must have messed up the recording!!

What genesis you running mate?

Ive got a profile 5.....love it!
Its not the profile its the top one the chrome cased one
Naturally! ;)

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

Quote: Originally posted by Wee_Steve on 18 May 2005

im guessin he means does that the cheaper stuff provides same quality of sound as the more expensive stuff

i totally disagree...

my mate runs Morell tweeters with RE XXX mids, through a Tru active crossover ran off of a Rockford fosgate 851x amp, and the quality is far superior to the pioneer components he used to run, or any other components ive heard for that matter - in most cases, you get what you pay for.

Moving onto subs, he runs an RE XXX12 sub from an RF 1501bd amp (thats 1600w RMS btw), ive never sat in a car so deafening before (or one that prevents you seeing so much for that matter) and hes probably still pushing a lower SPL than 144db.

Quote: Originally posted by Wee_Steve on 18 May 2005

i think you have taken this idea a little too far, sure a huge amount of the install is the way its done, the saying 80% install 20% gear.

Although i feel this aims more at high/top end gear rather than low/high end gear, if you can install a set of kenwood, or sony coaxils (or even comps) to sound as good as a set of even the cheapest genny comps, i would be very impressed (installed in the same way)

all equip is differetn and has different effect on the sound, even amps.

I see where your coming from, i just feel youve taken it a bit too far (well maybe ive just interpreted it that way!!)

2004 Clio 1.2 16v

i was assured by audio revolution that the kit used was proper pro stuff like i said b4 im dont have a lot of knowledge in the field i basically built it got it tested liked the numbers so posted.....

"if it played upto 20khz, it could have easily been ur tweeters being picked up"

i was under the impression that an spl test measured the amout of air being moved by the speakers i.e subs didnt think that tweeters would make a diff.....also if it was a sweep is the reading not the max spl that the system hit in the tested range???

i will find out the exact type of meter that was used but i think i remember them saying that it was one of only 3 in the country if that makes n e diff???

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by BlackClio16v on 19 May 2005
"if it played upto 20khz, it could have easily been ur tweeters being picked up"also if it was a sweep is the reading not the max spl that the system hit in the tested range???

why do you think spl comps are using low freqs?

it is because it is easy to 144dB from a tweeter

what subs and amps did you use?

how much power did each sub get?

and what size are them sealed boxes?

if its the case that you got 144db from two rather small looking boxes (similar in size to my 1cubic foot box) then imagine them ported or even walled :O

yes proper spl sensors test prssure, but mics, dont

also if you play a sweep it will tell you the max spl over those freq, it remebers the top score, but if you burp, you can turn the system up a bit more, as the subs can take a bit more over a period of a second.

if there are only 3 in the country of these sensors, i have no idea of what it may be, as i know more than 3 people with a thermbal sensor, which is as ive said before is the only truly acurate spl meter, used in all idbl.

Custom Clio Panache

like i said not WHAT you use, HOW you use it

can u b certain the guys install is set up correctly?? hence it may not b as gd a result as martins 144.8 from cheaper equipment

and as for "you pay for what you get" is definately right, but its donw to personnal taste and how u want ur install to sound, and obviosuly Martin has found the right gear for whats hes after and has got a high dB reading

as for ur mates bein deafening, my install is also "deafening, i have had alot o comments on how loud my install is, but in an SPL test i could only manage 126dB

thats proabaly as your install peaks at a lower freq, that your ears are more sensetive to, hence why streetbass cars sound soo much louder than spl cars, but the dont get near them on tests

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha just read this thread, 144db from 2 pioneer subs (sealed?) and one amp? yeah right!

i got 136db with one 12" power rockford fosgate sub in a ported box tuned at 36hz, being fed about 1kw! tested at mean street.

SPL mics only pick up to about 80hz IIRC.

dont mean to be rude, but there is no chance in hell that you could get 144db with that setup.

here is a list of systems and their scores:

3 viper 1200D amps, 12 vibe 10" subs in a wall - 141db

directed 2400d, 1 DD9917 sub - 144db

earthquake d3, 2 SPL dynamics 15s - 142db

viper 2500d, RE SE15 - 143db

earthquake d3, RE HC12 - 141db

usa boss amp, 2 x 32" clarion subs (yes, 32") - 143db

just to give you an idea on these amps power

viper 1200s produce 1.2kw, viper 2500s produce 2.5kw, directed 2400 produce 2.4kw, not sure on others, earthquakes are monsters though

muz

big fat japanese bus

The bottom line is thats the figure they gave him.

SPL is so dependent on so many things, not just wHoweveroofer size and watts powering it.

Position, efficency of the sub, box size, port length etc

I am sure that if you measured a lot of other cars on the same mic you would see much higher results

However he is happy with it so be it !

Its not like he is making it up, just the people measuring the system are not using the nationally certified method.

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by BlackClio16v on 16 May 2005
ok boys dont hold back loli said i thought it was 33hz not to sure tho was a cd that they gave us went from really high to really bassyive got infinity components front and rear running off a 4ch 800w legacy amp and a mrd f350 monoblock amp running the two substhe engine was running cant really see the reading being wrong as a while back i had a test reading of 132.6 with one sub running off a sh*tty amp but hey everyone else knows best eh....!

these are the amps from post on first page

i cant find that alpine amp on their website

blackclio16v go back to theshop and get your SPL tested with the mic positioned roughly at human ear level when sat in the drivers seat, be curious to see what the reading is compared to the by the sunvisor reading

but still unless its a thremlab sensor, its not that compareable, unless to other results from the same day, same mic in the same posistion

2004 Clio 1.2 16v

like i said in the beggining im no expert at this but what the guys are saying about the sweep and the machine recording the top spl over the sweep makes sense....

the reason i was confused was that i had my spl tested b4 ages ago and got 132.6 and no one said anything about it - it was accepted.

what i was ripped into that time for was that i detailed the whole setup and a few of the boys on here took pleasure in telling me that an spl test measures sub bass not high freq. noises so this is where my confusion is arising.....i do admit now tho that the reading is quite poss wrong due to a sweep being used makes sense really

this is the amp http://www.carreview.com/Channels/CarReview/images/products/Product_154693.jpg runin subs

200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
requires 8-gauge power and ground leads wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
MOSFET power supply
low-pass crossover, 50-200 Hz, 24 dB/octave
15 Hz subsonic filter
variable Bass EQ bass boost (0-12 dB at 50 Hz)
preamp- and speaker-level inputs
blue power LED
extra-large gold-plated terminals
9-3/16"W x 2-7/16"H x 9-9/16"D

so maximum you are going to have is 350w * 2 to the subs.... in sealed boxes.

thats amazing.

and if thats running both subs...

im going to run 260w @ 2ohm to each of my mids soon enough :D

[Edited by NeiLD0wN on 22 May 2005 at 2:59pm]

Polo + Micra

175wRMS to each sub and you got 144dB

i really think the problem is with the people who tested it.
they should really look at buying some new test equipment and give people real readings with actual credabilaty IMHO

Custom Clio Panache

Quote: Originally posted by Dink on 22 May 2005

175wRMS to each sub and you got 144dB

i really think the problem is with the people who tested it.
they should really look at buying some new test equipment and give people real readings with actual credabilaty IMHO
steady urself mate.....think ur jumpin in at the deep end here are u not??

none of us will ever know if this was the actual reading martin got, no1 will agree with him, everyone is giving him a really hard time, but what for?????

Polo + Micra

deep end??? wtf is that surrposed to meen

i think i was actually sticking up for him in my last comment.

he is only saying what he was told by these people who tested it, so it is really their fault for making people believe that they have a louder system than they have(if tested on a reliable sensor)

[Edited by Dink on 5/22/2005 9:06:30 PM]

from what i ave read, no-one has taken into accountthe sensitivty of the speakers involved, if a speaker has a higher sensitivity then it will go louder for a set amount of voltage running through the cables, whcih at the end of the day is what makes speakers move,doesnt matter how many watts you have its the current dumping ability of an amplifier and the sensitivity of a speaker that will in turn create higher volume levels. you also need to take into consideration the volume of the boxes, how the subs are set up, the volume of the car, there are so many variables i dont see how anyone can say it isnt possible without doing a lot of very complicated maths!

Polo + Micra

those subs have a sensitivity of 89dB (i have been looking);)

Quote: Originally posted by theduckeatspork on 22 May 2005
from what i ave read, no-one has taken into accountthe sensitivty of the speakers involved, if a speaker has a higher sensitivity then it will go louder for a set amount of voltage running through the cables, whcih at the end of the day is what makes speakers move,doesnt matter how many watts you have its the current dumping ability of an amplifier and the sensitivity of a speaker that will in turn create higher volume levels. you also need to take into consideration the volume of the boxes, how the subs are set up, the volume of the car, there are so many variables i dont see how anyone can say it isnt possible without doing a lot of very complicated maths!

so can i make 200dB with a five watt amp???;)

the volume of a speaker is not just to do with the sensitivity.

We are not just looking at a kit list, we can see, sealed boxes,

we know a sweep was played, not burping

and how the subs are setup? are you refering to the settings on the amps ect?

Basically, it is possible i suppose, but soooo very unlikly.

But at the end of the day, if he likes the sound thats what matters, id prefer to loose spl to gain more low end bass, and im sure most people do. SPL reding are not how loud the car sounds to the human ear at the end of the day

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Jesus christ...How petty are people on here! Martin, You won the competition regardless of the reading! Jus ignore everyone!

No equipment is going to be 100% consistant. Take for example RRs! Are they all the same?! I think not.

The system imo, probably isnt 144+dB, thats extremely loud, But thats what it said. So well done on winning!

Ali

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

Quote: Originally posted by AJRMOTORSPORT on 24 May 2005

Jesus christ...How petty are people on here! Martin, You won the competition regardless of the reading! Jus ignore everyone!

No equipment is going to be 100% consistant. Take for example RRs! Are they all the same?! I think not.

The system imo, probably isnt 144+dB, thats extremely loud, But thats what it said. So well done on winning!

Ali

lol, sorry, but it probably isnt 144 but thats what it said... thats like my car doing 200mph, cause thats what i said.

Dont think anyones being petty, just realistic, and anyone whos seriously into their SPL, WILL look at it objectively, in the same way people will always be sceptical about RR readouts.