ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Graham's OCD ph3 DCi sport rep v2

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Time for a quick update as I've been off the radar for a couple of months. Since the wide track conversion I've sorted out a few little niggles with the conversion and done about 500 miles in the car.

First was to swap the wheels for some proper 172 wheels. I'd been on the hunt for wheels for a number of weeks when I spotted a chap breaking a flamer on FB with some £80 wheels but near brand new budget tyres. After adding delivery of £34 these things are an absolute bargain. The centre caps were devoid of paint so I've used the ones from the previous wheels. Anyway, all round 6mm of tread! The previous wheels kept loosing air which meant the car was a pain to just hop in and drive. Today I finally did the tracking so can make full use of car.

The outside of the car was being let down by the only non-sport items left on the outside so a quick paint of the bullets and swap of the door handles saw it looking 100% like a 172 from the outside.

IMG_3069.JPG
IMG_3216.JPG

IMG_3182.JPG

This weekend I've finished off the main niggles being the abs and airbag lights. If you remember a few posts back I stupidly threw away the standard sensors thinking the 172 sensors would be fine. Anyway, long story short I've now got the correct sensors back on the car and have put some new 44t ABS rings on the front. The ABS light is now out and the brakes feel awesome. Since fitting the 172 seats the airbag light had been on. Unlike everyone else who likes to use resistors, I want to maintain the safety features in the car and set about fixing them. The passengers seat had some soldering done previously so I rewired the plugs using the ones I took off the old seats before scrapping them. These 172 seats have side airbags which the previous ones didn't so these are in fact a safety upgrade! Of course as I've got Clip I re-programmed the ECU to accept side airbags.
IMG_3124.JPG

IMG_3173.JPG

IMG_3222.JPG
IMG_3223.JPG

Also did the 197 wheel and re-programmed the dash and ECU to enable cruise. Now I just need to add the wiring. The 197 wheel is a huge difference and for those wondering what you need to stop it fowling the cowl it's a 2mm thick, 29mm OD 20mm ID washer.
IMG_3211.JPG

Next mods will finish off the interior and consist of:
  • Cabasse Auditorium radio (replacing the front with non-textured version)
  • Wire in rear speakers
  • Rain sensor
  • Climate control
  • Cruise Control
  • Automatic lights
  • Renault sport sill covers
  • Aux Lead
  • Alarm
  • Red/White LED dash conversion
  • Pedals
  • Boost Gauge

Among other things these bits also need doing
  • Fit arch liners properly
  • Re-attach skirts
  • New turbo
  • Brake line clip on rear beam
  • Fit spare wheel jack kit
  • A/C re-gas
  • Service
IMG_3188.JPG

I've been so busy doing other non-car things I'm really struggling to put together videos at the moment. I'm hoping to get the wide track and bodykit one done soon. After that it'll be the wiring and 197 wheel. Not to mention I'm also maintaining two other cars and completing a house renovation. I'm completely burnt out.

Last but not least...when I was queuing at the o2 the other day some guy honked at me, wound down his windows and asked to buy the car because he thought it was a rare 05 plate 172. The window swiftly went back up when I said it was a rep as he seemed pretty humiliated in front of his friends! TTFN, more updates soon!

Last edited:

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome mate! I now have a 197 steering wheel for my dCi and bought another one with cruise controls for my 172. They feel so much better in the hands!

Loving how your dCi is looking now mate, looking forward to the videos! ;)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Awesome mate! I now have a 197 steering wheel for my dCi and bought another one with cruise controls for my 172. They feel so much better in the hands!

Loving how your dCi is looking now mate, looking forward to the videos! ;)
Cheers dude. Yeah they're so much better that the cruddy standard one. For the cruise control you have to sand them out a bit to fit the 182 squib connector. This one was listed as spares of repairs as the leather has pealed but it's perfectly passable. Ordered a machined washer for it yesterday so it's not some piece of crap I'd drilled out myself. Will probably do the wiring soon. Hoping to get some videos together next week.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds good mate.

I need to get a washer for mine too. Was thinking of just drilling out a few washers or getting a mate to help me out and machine 2 up for me.

I have a 197 without cruise for my dCi and one with cruise for my 172 lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
First of all I like it that my videos lag my actual progress by months!

Jeees I've done loads to the car over the past 2 weekends. Full rewire on the interior took two whole days and 3 nights in the week. However I now have:

• Hardwired USB ports (CPT12v to 5v 3a usb)
  • Aux Lead/Airplay (depending on what you plug in, I have a "neet airstream" for the car)
  • Climate control
  • Automatic Lights
  • Automatic Wipers
  • Illuminated sun visors
  • Rear speakers
  • Cruise control
  • Boost gauge (from my old dci)
  • Alarm (doesn't work wah)
  • Sport pedals
All the wiring came from a 182 which I meticulously depinned and spent hours going through the wiring diagrams to ensure when I did the job it was going to spot on first time. Amazingly I didn't get 1 pin wrong! This was a HUGELY labour intensive process but one I've enjoyed because it's something you don't see very often. The automatic headlights involves completely changing the wiring to the headlight stalk. I have added in the facility in the internal loom for headlight washers but not in the engine bay loom. The hardwired USB is on it's own fuse in the fusebox and the boost gauge is on a 2 way superseal connector spliced from the 12v socket. I did want to integrate this properly but it was a bit of an after thought. Everything else is running into the correct fused connections and into the normal hub wiring. Everything is fully explained in the video when I release it. The clocks had to be re-programmed using CLIP which meant doing a multiplex check, unplugging the battery, plugging it back in and running through the normal "connection unit" reprogramming. The ECU also had to have cruise enabled via CLIP.

I did hit one hiccup along the way when I found out the current UCH I had was n2 and not n3. I thought all ph3s had n3 UCHs and were downgraded to N2s. Ren's old car had an n3 operating as an n2. Anyway, I bought a new UCH kit from ebay and it was of course from a dci 80. On the dci 80 the injectors are different and the boost pressure is a touch higher (0.2 bar) so I need to adjust the wastegate. The car is weird now though and it feels like the engine has turned off when you take your foot off the accelerator and the mpg is poo so I'm trying to find a 65bhp n3 ecu kit for under £50.

New bits on the way:
Two intercoolers, the dci one came up a day after I bought the 80 one dang it!
  • dci 80 intercooler.
  • dci 100 intercooler
  • dci 80 a/c condenser and dryer
  • roof racks
New videos coming out soon
  • pt4 wide track conversion
  • pt5 wiring
  • pt6 197 wheel
IMG_3498.JPG
IMG_3537.JPG
IMG_3544.JPG
NIMZ6081.JPG

rsdan

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 182
Love it and the fact your doing it all properly. What happened to your old one did it end up getting broken for parts or did you manage to sell it as a hole car as was needing an engine if I remember correctly?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Coming along great?

I need to reconfig the clocks on my kangoo to lose the esp on the 2nd hand ecu/uch i have. Looks pretty simple according to the manual, any tips ? Says batt off, reconfig without turning ign on etc. Do you need to manually input vin on clip ?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Holy crap! You've been busy haha, can't wait for the vids now :)
I have, get an idea in my head and have to do it immediately! New video today hopefully.

Top work Graham, jeez you crank stuff together fast !!
Cheers D. Yours is going together properly! Mine is chucking a load of smelly and dirty used parts on so is a bit easier ?

Epic work, it's nice when someone does the job proper and doesn't bodge it!
Cheers dude, wiring is very satisfying to do properly!

Any one else think @GrahamS looks a bit like Jesse Eisenberg?... ?

View attachment 1374833
????? You're not the first person to say that! I get my haircut marginally before him ?

Love it and the fact your doing it all properly. What happened to your old one did it end up getting broken for parts or did you manage to sell it as a hole car as was needing an engine if I remember correctly?
Yeah I broke it for spares which in hindsight was a stupid thing to do. I should have just got a new engine in it. Up close that car was immaculate and this one never will be. This one needs a new fuel system and the turbo is leaking. I have a vague idea for more power but it's probably a pipe dream.

Coming along great?

I need to reconfig the clocks on my kangoo to lose the esp on the 2nd hand ecu/uch i have. Looks pretty simple according to the manual, any tips ? Says batt off, reconfig without turning ign on etc. Do you need to manually input vin on clip ?
Ah! As far as I know, and I've tried, you can't reprogram the UCH to not have ABS. The clocks flag the light based on what the UCH is looking for. In my cup I have an ESP light on because it has a 182 ECU kit on, very annoying because I have to explain the car never had ESP to the tester. a 172 cup ecu set might sort you out.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Good work mate!

I'm just taking the beam of the 172 at the moment for refurb, had a nightmare trying to get the first axle nut off without getting the gun on it think I'm going to cut the other one!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
[/QUOTE]
Ah! As far as I know, and I've tried, you can't reprogram the UCH to not have ABS. The clocks flag the light based on what the UCH is looking for. In my cup I have an ESP light on because it has a 182 ECU kit on, very annoying because I have to explain the car never had ESP to the tester. a 172 cup ecu set might sort you out.

Managed it with a couple of hours on clip playing about ?

Basically recalibrate the multiplex network to set abs and steering angle sensor to missing

Then recalibrate the clocks to remove course (Trajectory) control system to turn the esp light off. Job done no more network faults or serv light. Not sure if abs light is on as mine does not work/cup clocks etc - still serv light not on so assume off.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I was reading through this last night. I really enjoyed the read & seeing the progress. Nice work! ?
Thank you! It's not exactly the fastest car but now so much better than it was!

All this effort! Mental!
Mental indeed, should probably check myself in somewhere.

Need a video of what it sounds like with a decat
emoji6.png

Also get rid of the backbox for some pipe
emoji23.png
Totally agree with @Mazz they sound the same with a little extra spool whistle. A flute nails it!

Managed it with a couple of hours on clip playing about ?

Basically recalibrate the multiplex network to set abs and steering angle sensor to missing

Then recalibrate the clocks to remove course (Trajectory) control system to turn the esp light off. Job done no more network faults or serv light. Not sure if abs light is on as mine does not work/cup clocks etc - still serv light not on so assume off.

You absolute legend. Just re-programmed the Cup clocks to not look for ESP (not sure why they were programmed to look anyway) and it worked a charm. Legend!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
You absolute legend. Just re-programmed the Cup clocks to not look for ESP (not sure why they were programmed to look anyway) and it worked a charm. Legend!

Good to hear its sorted - nothing worse than unwanted lights on ! i knew it wouldnt be custom firmware for cup uch.

Do you know where the vin is stored ? my old ecu/uch pack said d4f instead of f4r and vin number of pretty much 12345. Fitted 2nd hand setup and still says the same ? is it the clocks or is it due to incorrect wiring ? wiring is chopped about i dont think its 172 loom however its all working correctly for first time in my ownership.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Good to hear its sorted - nothing worse than unwanted lights on ! i knew it wouldnt be custom firmware for cup uch.

Do you know where the vin is stored ? my old ecu/uch pack said d4f instead of f4r and vin number of pretty much 12345. Fitted 2nd hand setup and still says the same ? is it the clocks or is it due to incorrect wiring ? wiring is chopped about i dont think its 172 loom however its all working correctly for first time in my ownership.
Pretty sure it's in the airbag ECU. Wiring wouldn't make a difference because it's just looking for different modules. From my experience if the VINs don't match it nabs it from the airbag.

Wiring video! Next time it'll be the 197 wheel but I've got a bit of research to do before then :)

How the actual f**k have you managed to get that done in two sessions!!

The way you were talking about the wiring of that car was scary! You clearly know these things very well and judging by your dash removal, it’s obvious you removed several before!

Completely admire this, as I started watching this build I’ve been thinking “what on Earth is the point”...but then when I (and many others) took literally everything out of the car to loose weight fom the car, people think the same thing as the RS Clio is very capable in standard form...

I thought you were going to swap from poverty spec loom to a 172 complete loom, why is this not the route you Took? I’m guessing it’s not compatible but either way...with my very minimal knowledge of wiring there’s no way I’d have tackled this!
You brave man!

And it works!!!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Total legend dude, nice work !
Hopefully I can get mine done soon and I'm sure you'll volunteer to have a look at my abs mess lol
Thanks matey, why is your ABS a mess :S sensors and rings is all you need (if you even need those!)

How the actual f**k have you managed to get that done in two sessions!!

The way you were talking about the wiring of that car was scary! You clearly know these things very well and judging by your dash removal, it’s obvious you removed several before!

Completely admire this, as I started watching this build I’ve been thinking “what on Earth is the point”...but then when I (and many others) took literally everything out of the car to loose weight fom the car, people think the same thing as the RS Clio is very capable in standard form...

I thought you were going to swap from poverty spec loom to a 172 complete loom, why is this not the route you Took? I’m guessing it’s not compatible but either way...with my very minimal knowledge of wiring there’s no way I’d have tackled this!
You brave man!

And it works!!!
God knows. I get an idea in my head and do it straight away at great expense to any spare time at the weekends! All the sport parts are brilliant for an every day road car. This is now just a car they should have created from the factory. That wouldn't have been a bad idea to use a 172/182 loom but it would have been similar if not more work as the DCi has EPAS and different clocks. Knowing I started with a working dci loom seemed the right thing to do but there are only a few select differences between that and a sport one. Anything is compatible with changes! The pin out are exactly the same.

Any of you who follow us on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/trackit_yt/ will have seen me fit some cooksport springs and brand new dampers to the dci in a record 39 minutes! The previous dampers were totally shagged and it was running on the bump stops. The ride is totally transformed now, a much nicer place to be.

I've got a dci 80 intercooler in the garage. Because the dci 100/68campus have different turbo housings I can't fit the dci 100 intercooler as the pipework unfortunately isn't compatable. I'm going to fit the 80 intercooler when I get a chance but I'm a bit miffed that some of the rad pack I order is in rough condition and even if it holds fluid and gas it's only a matter of time before it goes. Update to follow though.

That said, no more car spending for 6 months for me so this project and all my other stuff will be static for the next 6 months or so. I've still got some parts to fit to the 135i and we'll be doing some bits on Marts clio so the videos will continue :)

38281161_10156505583106530_5412533338495778816_n.jpg

38260562_10156505583496530_1903810121570451456_n.jpg

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
OK, time for a quick update while I'm on here.

Finally got the car back on the65 ecu which has made it much better to drive and thankfully it isn't doing woeful mpg anymore. With the 80 ecu on 65 hardware I for 33mpg on the way back from Devon meaning I may as well have taken the BM!
I had a few offers of 65bhp ecu kits with an n3 UCH for £100, way to steep for me considering they realistically sell for about £50. Due to this I set out finding a way to get what I needed cheaper and stumbled across a virgin n3 UCH on ebay for £50. I've never programmed one of these before but worked out how to do it. This means the cruise control works which I missed so so much.

Went to the DTM in it. It could do with a cup spoiler couldn't it.

IMG_1491.jpg

As I said in the last post, the above picture is misleading and if you look closely you can see the car is silver! I recently bought a DCI 80 with a snapped cambelt and have taken a load of bits off it to convert this car into an 80. The main bits I needed were the gearbox, engine loom (as it has an extra air temp sensor), injectors and gearbox. The car was top spec and the previous owner had it for years so it was a shame to break such a good condition car but 5 hours after starting disassembly the car was taken away. I 100% got a cold doing this, it was 5 degrees and raining. It was quite depressing but necessary! Got 15L of diesel out of it too!

IMG_4141.JPG
IMG_4347.JPG
IMG_4348.JPG
IMG_4359.JPG
IMG_4360.JPG
IMG_4363.JPG
IMG_4365.JPG

Plan is to do the full conversion early next year. At the same time I'll be putting in brand new injectors, fuel pump, clutch, waterpump, cambelt and thermostat. A big investment in a car which isn't worth much but for what we'd have to pay to replace it this is a good spend, meaning it will go on forever.

MOT in a few days, lets see what that brings as it is a bit smokey!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Did you program the new uch with a clone clip ? I fancy cruise on my dci - would a n3 uch work on the pov spec loom as mine is n1 from memory.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Did you program the new uch with a clone clip ? I fancy cruise on my dci - would a n3 uch work on the pov spec loom as mine is n1 from memory.
I sure did. However the only reason it gave me cruise is because I could swap back to the correct ecu. The gear ratios in the jb3 were all wrong for the cruise in the 80 ecu to work. Cruise is in the ecu and simply needs enabling and the wiring running. It’s actually the best cruise control system I’ve used. Keeps the speed really well.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Is it just a case of reconfig ecu and clocks and add wiring to suit regardless of uch model ?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Hello everyone, I haven't updated this thread for a while and that's mainly because very little has happened. The car is converted as intended and functions like I want it to!

I did an entertaining oil change. The dash has been reading full on the oil check since we got the car and of course I didn't bother to verify that even though I knew the turbo seals had gone and oil had been pouring down the back of the engine for quite some time. Anyway when I did the change I managed to take out 2l of oil and put 5 new litres back in. Quite good going there and I'm pleasantly surprised it hasn't seized in the last 20k without a change.

Potentially postponing the fuel system work a bit because it's just so costly and may temporarily put in the 80 donor car injectors for a bit in the hope they're better than the clattering ones we've currently got.

Main thing is, 197 steering wheel is in the car permanently with working cruise. Here's how I did it. There has never been a definitive guide on how to do this conversion and after a bit of research and measuring I worked out the washer size and set about making the change.

Cheers
G

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
First time i have read theough this Graham, and its a fantastic one to read! Brilliant work and you clearly have a great skill, and know what you are doing! These Dci’s really are cool little cars!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
First time i have read theough this Graham, and its a fantastic one to read! Brilliant work and you clearly have a great skill, and know what you are doing! These Dci’s really are cool little cars!

Thanks Austin :) this is my second dci rep now so it was a no brainer from me as soon as I lay hands on it, especially as most of the parts were free. It needs heart surgery though as it's got quite a few issues with the fuel system, it's running very lumpy, smokes too much and a turbo blowing oil through the seals. I'll probably do it all and the donor are waiting but the time and money just isn't. Time will tell. I need to read about your rare beast!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Austin :) this is my second dci rep now so it was a no brainer from me as soon as I lay hands on it, especially as most of the parts were free. It needs heart surgery though as it's got quite a few issues with the fuel system, it's running very lumpy, smokes too much and a turbo blowing oil through the seals. I'll probably do it all and the donor are waiting but the time and money just isn't. Time will tell. I need to read about your rare beast!

Well im sure you will solve the issues without any difficulty. I would be stuck if that happened to mine, and would have to go to a garage. It needs the major service and i wish i could do it myself but i just simply do not have any experiance of cambelts etc. Oil and filters is as far as my knowledge goes.
I have a long list of things to do with mine but have done quite a lot of theservice already. I have glow plugs waiting to go in but have been scared off from people telling me they will snap!?
And im itching to give it a good clean but the weather is rubbish and no dayloght left on a weekday after work! I have been on the drive in the dark almost every night doing small bits with my torch on ha ha.
I would have gone down the sport rep route with mine if i hadnt found an initiale. I have always hated light interiors but for some reason im loving the clio. However, the wood effect dash trims are disgusting and will be going at some point!

Clio MK2 1.5dci 65hp
Hi there, I'm a new member of the forum. I've read all the thread and is just impressive! I'm experiencing a little issue with the ABS light on my car as I'm just finishing the swapping of the rear brake system (it's a Clio 2 1.5dci 65hp). My car originally had the drum brakes on the rear with magnetic ABS rings, so I also changed my ABS control unit with one I took from a 100hp Clio 2 (without ESP). The problem is I took the calipers with the ESP sensors on the rear from another Clio 100hp (ref. number 6000073528/7). I would like to ask if I have to change them with the ones for ABS system only (ref. number 8200186298/9) so the abs warning goes away? :unsure:Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Italy ?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Hi there, I'm a new member of the forum. I've read all the thread and is just impressive! I'm experiencing a little issue with the ABS light on my car as I'm just finishing the swapping of the rear brake system (it's a Clio 2 1.5dci 65hp). My car originally had the drum brakes on the rear with magnetic ABS rings, so I also changed my ABS control unit with one I took from a 100hp Clio 2 (without ESP). The problem is I took the calipers with the ESP sensors on the rear from another Clio 100hp (ref. number 6000073528/7). I would like to ask if I have to change them with the ones for ABS system only (ref. number 8200186298/9) so the abs warning goes away? :unsure:Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Italy ?
Ciao, I’ll PM you.

Kangoo, XJ, Jeep GC
Great thread and following keenly, as there are a few of the things you guys are doing that I’d like to do to the Kangoo.