ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Grinding but not wheel bearings?

Ph2 172 Cup
After my last trackday my car picked up a grinding noise from somewhere at the rear. It only occurs when going round corners, so first thought - wheel bearings... One was a tiny bit slack the other seemed find, but I replaced them anyway.

Unfortunately the noise is still there and it's getting worse. It sounds a bit like a brake pad rubbing against the disc but I don't understand why it only makes the noise going around corners.

Rubbing was another thought, but I'm running standard wheels & tyres.

Can anyone think of any ideas? Stuck caliper or pads? Warped disc (would I be the first person to warp a rear disc!)?

ph1-172
mine does this 2. first thought was rubbing the plastic arch lining which had popped off, but it still does it

will be keepin an eye on this thread.

sounds like a pad has slipped from the retaining clip..(apparently this happens all the time in the rear brakes...

have a look at the wear on the disk..in particulat the part of the disk nearest the centre (that shouldnt have any wear on it)...or just look at the pad itself? see if its sitting properly...

if its a constant loud grinding,

and there is lots of dust, your pistons probably siezed...(apparently happens a lot)....and all of the pad will be gone, and you will be grinding the end of your piston off the disk...

(if u think its this, have a look at the back of the disks to see if the piston is fucked)

Clio Trophy ,EFI'd 5GTT
check that the bearing circlip is correctly seated as if its not the disc will be floating and when your turning the disc will slide across and come into contact with the caliper bolts . this is through experience !!

there is so many threads rgds to rear brake grinding noises , i didnt no where to post this after i done a search , anyway i purchased new rear discs that were supplied with bearings already pressed in , i took them from the box and fitted them with no reason to check the bearings or remove circlip to make sure it was seated correct ...

anyway 3 weeks later i get the grinding noise , turned out the circlip wasnt seated correct and the disc was floating :((

hope this post will alert others to ensure the circlip is seated correct before putting discs on the car ..

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I had similar problem with new discs on the rear of my 172 last year. The left rear started grinding a few weeks after being fitted, and it turned out the bearing was faulty, so I took it back to my mechanic and he put fitted a new wheel bearing in the hub and its been fine since. Its fairly likely that the wheel bearing is the source of the noise as theres little else thats going to cause that amount of noise. Obviously its worth checking you have the pads fitted correctly and that the anti rattle springs are in the right way round and not catching the edge of the disc.