ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GTi6 vs 172

Hmmm the more I look that picture of my xsara, makes me think "hmmmmmm maybe another??"
I could probably buy a decent one in the same colour for less than the option price of Alien Green on the Clio 200.

ph2 172
my mate bought one for 500 and drove it to the nurburgring and back and between my 172 and his there was nothing in it what so ever. v good motors.

MCS R56
Let the pictures do the talking...

3654605161_01891127eb_o.gif

3654625171_9b64e24833_o.gif

3654734475_9ce4f849ed_o.gif

Found this lush GTi-6 on FlickR. Fantastic condition

That looks about as sporty as a chip supper.

RB 182 cup
both my house mate and my mrs have one and i really like them, not as fast as mine tho and i can pull them back quite easily

M

mini-valver

A mate has a white GTi-6, properly nice car. Comfy, quick and reliable. ONly downside is the brakes. I took it out for a blast round my way with him in the passenger seat, after about 5 minutes of spirited driving through a lot of twisty sections the road opens up to a straight piece of 60mph road dropping down into a 40. Now, I was doing near on 80 at the top of 3rd, Porsche Cayenne about 400 yards down the road turning right so start to brake, f**k ALL. Masses of fade, handbrake on, into 2nd and pumping the pedal until my quads blew up. Get to about 50 yards from the back of the Porsche and had to turn onto a drop kerb and go along some grass with a roadsign about 100 yards down the grass, flew past the Porsche and stopping literally 5 metres before the sign, lol.

That and the stupidly heavy clutch. Probably age induced on both counts and both fixable, cracking car.

182 FF
Had a GTi6 when I was 18-19, was a proper minter very low mileage owners club car etc, sold it to buy a mini :dead: should have kept it!

gti6qd7.jpg

clio trophy No56
I went from a 182 to a GTI6 then to a Trophy.
The 182 was quicker in a straight line, i only know this because someone i know has a type r and the 182 was quicker rolling from 30mph in 2nd gear and up to whatever speed you like.
The GTI6 against the same type r was slightly quicker up to about 70mph them the type r caught up.
I would say from a standing start there would be nothing in it.
The handling was better in the GTI6 than the 182, used to almost feel like a rear wheel drive car.
As for the 0-60 in the GTI6 when they tested this for insurance purposes before the GTI6 was launched they did the tests with 4 people in the car, 8.2secs, apparently so the 0-60 would be slower allowing for a lower insurance group, even though they were still group 16. With 1 person in the car they easy do it in 7.2secs.
As for the Trophy i would say it is better than the 182 and the GTI6, the handling is awsome.
Got to say though if i had a spare £1700 i would be buying another GTI6 to use as my main car and keep the Trophy for weekends.

I really like them.

Does anyone else remember the magazine advert with the GTI 6 trailing the supercars with the caption ''slowest car in it's class'' ?

Yeah, i remember that... great advert.

I went from pug 306 xrdt to 306 xsi to 182. I had the xsi for 4 yrs. It didn't feel hugely slower than the clio, even tho it was 10 yrs old, 119,000 miles and damn tired!

BMW F21 125d
My mate has a 306 Rallye (same engine as GTI-6 but with 5 speed box IIRC) and i have the edge on him in my 182. I used to own a 306XSi, was epic, loved it.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
My mate has a 306 Rallye (same engine as GTI-6 but with 5 speed box IIRC) and i have the edge on him in my 182. I used to own a 306XSi, was epic, loved it.

Mechanically the rallye is the same car, so if its a rallye its 6speed. If its 5speed, its not a rallye.

E36 328
Yeah often referred to as the phase 1 gti6, 5 speed box, different engine as well iirc?

Had a ph1 d turbo a couple of cars ago, timing was out so wasn't massively quick but the handling was grrrrrrreat!

i had a gti-6 a few months back. cost me £280. was a bit scabby but done for running to work in. was fun aswell on the twistys

172 / classic mini
I just bought a 172, so took my sister fiance out in it (he has a GTi6) he loved the interior and was shocked by how good the clio was.
After we went out in his GTi6, and the interior seemed old, but he has recently had it supercharged. it scared the life out of me! :eek:

Clio 172
I've owned both a 172 and a gti6 and i would never consider a gti6 over a 172.my mates trophy pulled a bit on the gti6, but my 172 and the trophy were exactly the same speed wise

NOTHING
I really do love the 306 gti6/ rallye , i have had 3 of them. On a side note how do you put proper size pics up instead of little attachments ? cheers

Last edited:
  Clio Trophy (225/500)
IMG_0711.jpg

I sold my gti6 for my Trophy about 4 months ago. I don't regret it but the T is not worth the extra money as the 6 offered so much performance for little money.

The 6 can really bite if you ease off mid corner, but they do andle well. The trophy inspires so much more confidence, but maybe that's always a good thing! They all are a bit rattly these days, but much more reliable than renaults and the 6 engine really strong. A lot of the boys on the gti6 website are going for a supercharger conversion. The low boost is 260 bhp and the high boost boys are running around 400bhp!!

Overall they are a fantastic car with an amazing sounding engine and much better looking when compared to the clio. Rip out the back seats and you have a very capable cheap track car.

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Most boring looking car I have ever had. Great to drive though. This was back in the era where nobody wanted to do hot hatches. Look at what Ford & Vauxhall were knocking out in 97.

My user name is taken from this period as loads of HDI's that looked the same and run out models with same body kit. I had the moonstone blue 2000 W plate.

I did like it & bought it over Corrado VR6 (nose heavy) & Integra Type R (a bit hardcore) which I test drove at the same time. ( I am a sucker for a good car mag review).

The irony is both those cars make good money today and the GTI-6 makes peanuts.

BMW M5 & E36
What mileage would we consider sensible to be buying one on? It'd need to be reliable for my work commute. Just sold the 182 and cant decide what to replace with.

clio trophy No56
What mileage would we consider sensible to be buying one on? It'd need to be reliable for my work commute. Just sold the 182 and cant decide what to replace with.

If you want reliable go for a Accord Type R, quite quick, cheap ish, on LSD the handling is just as good as the Trophy when driven well.

As for the mileage mine GTI6 had approx 80k when i bought it and i didnt have any major problems with it appart from stupid niggles you get with every car new or old, owned it for 8 month ish. The average miles for a later model now would be 108k so if you get one at 80k your sorted.
The IVC can be a pain in the arse though, costs approx £60 to replace and 10mins to do, thats the only real problem i had with mine.

53 Clio's & counting
Fantastic looking cars, looks fresh even today, but i still prefere the clio, the 306 has a much better driving position, but ultimately i prefere the way the Clio drives and handles, hence why i own the Clio not a 306

Compared to a 172 they feel a bit underpowered - slightly less power as well as having an extra 200 ish KGs of weight to pull around.

Never driven one though just been a passenger so cant comment.

clio trophy No56
Compared to a 172 they feel a bit underpowered - slightly less power as well as having an extra 200 ish KGs of weight to pull around.

Never driven one though just been a passenger so cant comment.

Remember though Clios never make there power and the GTI6's do. Still think a 172 would have the edge over a 6.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i brought a gt-6 for £100 never drove it as the belt was snapped sold it for £600 within 2days of ownership.

LY Megane R26 230
Well ive had over 10 GTI-6's/Xsara VTS's and bloodly love them! :D

Currently driving this at the moment

DSC00415.jpg

Phase 3 GTI-6 but with a nice suprise!

DSC00126.jpg

I've supercharged it,uprated the suspension and fitted an lsd.theres nothing like it but sadly im looking to buy a house soon so im selling the old girl :cry:

The clio is far newer and slightly more economical so thats my reasons behind buying one soon hopefully

LY Megane R26 230
Dave old chap how are we? The BMW is looking lovely btw.tbh cant see me buying a cup as they are almost as poverty spec as a rallye! :rasp:

Looking at a mates phase 1 172 tomorrow hopefully

And i shall not be charging the clio,hopefully just keep it standard or maybe just change the wheels!:rofl: