ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GU10 LED house bulbs

Many.
Kitchen light has four standard halogen GU10 bulbs, however two have failed after about 5/6 years, and figured it could be a good idea to change them for LED's for some slight energy saving.

However, with car LED's I know what I'm looking at, but household I have no idea, so turning to CS to help me.

Has anybody got any suggestions or links to decent items? Or should I just replace with the same standard 50watt halogens?

Cheers people!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
my elec bill for 1 month due to my 14 50 watt halogen spots was £80!

changing them to led etc. will cost me £100

cant win

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
We have just fitted GU10 LED's in our kitchen

Got them from Ikea @ £4 each.

Gone from 50W to 4W and just as bright.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Cheap LEDs look pants usually and give the Star Trek beam effect as they have a s**t beam angle. Phillips, ge, orlight and sylvania all get my vote for proper quality lamps that don't look pants.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thats the kiddies.

They are fine, i can see what im doing so thats good enough for me.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Id say not alot different tbh.

Our halogens didn't seem to last very long, yes maybe if you spent a few quid more then it would be better still but for the cost im happy.

Cheap LEDs look pants usually and give the Star Trek beam effect as they have a s**t beam angle. Phillips, ge, orlight and sylvania all get my vote for proper quality lamps that don't look pants.

This ^^^

Buy cheap buy twice. also watch out with some LED bulbs as they can be slightly longer and not fit in the light unit due to the backing.

Like this with the black cap bit on.

ip65_gu10-short-can.jpg

Take for instance (dependant on fitting) these will fit due to being the same size as a GU10 bulb

a2-gu1004-40.jpg

And these won't due to being slighty longer

mS47QdoDK97DB2IW24FDqqA.jpg

Shame my work no longer sells LED GU10 bulbs as i could have got 10 for £12:eek:

Last edited:
  Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Just done my mams whole house in LEDs.

16 bulbs, 7 b22, 7 gu10 and 2 e14s. Came to £114 from b&q.

Should save a decent amount on electric bills.

koi

Audi S1
Got these in the bathroom. Bright but bit too white for my liking though, looks too clinical. Still need to change the kitchen ones but there's 8 damn spots so gets expensive.
16115.jpg

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've got 8 of these in my Kitchen , in 2 banks of 4 spotlights . GU10 24 SMD 3w , 340 lumens , warm white , 120* angle opposed to your standard GU10's which are usually about 38* angle , so no dark areas as they all overlap . I've been using them for over 12 months now with no issues or failures . A few mates have LED GU10's and they don't come close to these for brightness . only £11.98 for 2 delivered .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350557139...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

T2eC16FHJHIE9nysd9hEBRVEeCYww60_12.jpg

Last edited:
+1 for LED Hut. I bought 37 for my entire house (down lights in every room) and they're great. Got a discount code online too which brought the price down.

Make sure you get the 'warm white' ones. They are very similar to halogens. They give a 'less warm' feel but it's hardly noticeable and you soon get used to it. Very bright too!

Just thought I get 20% off at Screwfix so I might just give some of the ones they have a go, a couple seem to have good reviews.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Hi all.
My house is all LEDs now.
I have tried various leds and just recently bought these.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=301065618286&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

$_12.jpg

GU10 5.5W - 60SMD Warm White
These are for my stairs.

Makes some difference and look really smart.

I have the normal white for kitchen and makes it look better nice and bright.

Just remember, when you power down a SMD, they do discharge at different rates, so you'll have some light for maybe 10 seconds or more before discharged.

Previously I bought leds from Cumberland Electrical in Glasgow great guys and excellent knowledge, but those ones I bought there are far cheaper and same product almost.

ALSO - If you go bigger than 5.5W I have noticed they are NON GU10 Sized so will stick out your holder/cup. These are the highest wattage I can find that fit a GU10 and still the same size. Those are equivalent to 50/60W bulbs normally.

Many.
I've got 8 of these in my Kitchen , in 2 banks of 4 spotlights . GU10 24 SMD 3w , 340 lumens , warm white , 120* angle opposed to your standard GU10's which are usually about 38* angle , so no dark areas as they all overlap . I've been using them for over 12 months now with no issues or failures . A few mates have LED GU10's and they don't come close to these for brightness . only £11.98 for 2 delivered .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350557139...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

T2eC16FHJHIE9nysd9hEBRVEeCYww60_12.jpg

This is exactly what I purchased... Had them for a fair few days now.

Really like it, I got cool white, which is a lot brighter white than I expected, but ideal for the kitchen.

Will replace the living room energy saving bulbs with Warm White LED's soon I think.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
This is exactly what I purchased... Had them for a fair few days now.

Really like it, I got cool white, which is a lot brighter white than I expected, but ideal for the kitchen.

Will replace the living room energy saving bulbs with Warm White LED's soon I think.

Nice one . They really are the best I've seen , for brightness and for coverage . Like i said . A fair of my mates have different makes of GU10 leds and none come close to these . The warm white are very bright and white . There's really no need to spend silly amounts of money to get good quality . Glad you're Happy with them :D

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Give it 6months and then see what you say ;)

Like I said in my first post . I've been using mine for over 12 months now with absolutely no issues , failures ..... and compared some of the led GU10's that I've seen , these win hands down . You don't have to pay top dollar to get top quality . I guess some people just can't accept that :rasp:

SQ5
I give them less than 6 months. And any £10 a pop that's quite expensive.

I'm using megaman 6w which are fantastic and also smaller than a GU10 by 1mm ;) they're also the same price as above.

SQ5
Hi all.
My house is all LEDs now.
I have tried various leds and just recently bought these.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=301065618286&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

$_12.jpg

GU10 5.5W - 60SMD Warm White
These are for my stairs.

Makes some difference and look really smart.

I have the normal white for kitchen and makes it look better nice and bright.

Just remember, when you power down a SMD, they do discharge at different rates, so you'll have some light for maybe 10 seconds or more before discharged.

Previously I bought leds from Cumberland Electrical in Glasgow great guys and excellent knowledge, but those ones I bought there are far cheaper and same product almost.

ALSO - If you go bigger than 5.5W I have noticed they are NON GU10 Sized so will stick out your holder/cup. These are the highest wattage I can find that fit a GU10 and still the same size. Those are equivalent to 50/60W bulbs normally.

FLOL I thought this was the last post! Good to know everyone agrees!

I recently put a new 3 spot halogen fitting in my kitchen and was not impressed at all with the halogen bulbs that came with it. It was like having 3 torches attached to the ceiling, so three independently lit areas, and lots of shadow and darkness

Changed to these

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights...umens-45-watts-equiv-best-internet-price.html

now have really good even spread of light, massive improvement and would definitely recommend. Had free packet of haribo in the box, bit random but welcome nom!

Polo + Micra
has any one measured the amount of power the leds they have pulls?

as i'm sceptical of the power claims of some of them

My halogens were 50w and the LEDs say they are 4w (LEDHut ones linked two posts above). The LEDs are the same, if not brighter than the halogens.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

you are aware led's use a fraction of the power of normal light bulbs. whether they are 5w or 5.5w they are no where near 60w

Polo + Micra
you are aware led's use a fraction of the power of normal light bulbs. whether they are 5w or 5.5w they are no where near 60w

yeah i'm well aware of that i'm also aware they have a max efficiency of about 100 lumens/W

what i'm saying is that alot of them will quote the absolute maximum drive power of the LEDs but run a drive that outputs no where near that.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
in my bathroom I have 3x 45w normal spot and 1x cob single emitter led spot. its 300lum and is just as bright if not bright than my other 3

yeah i'm well aware of that i'm also aware they have a max efficiency of about 100 lumens/W

what i'm saying is that alot of them will quote the absolute maximum drive power of the LEDs but run a drive that outputs no where near that.
See my post above for a 'real life comparison'.