ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gumball Rally Type Thing for Cancer Research UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Civic Vtec y0
Right don’t really know where to start this but here goes, my granddad recently passed away from cancer and I have been trying to think of ways of raising money for cancer research Uk. I have been thinking about all the traditional ways of raising money, i.e. Jumble sales etc but then after watching and hearing about the gumball I thought what better way than to drive to raise money.

Therefore I am thinking of organising one starting from John O' Groats to Lands end and back and also one starting a Lands End to John O' Groats and back. By organising two runs I would hope that more people could take part?

How I would raise money would be to charge a small fee to enter the rally, for example £20-£30 as I know its going to cost you guys a bit on petrol travelling the length of the country! All this money from entry fees would then be donated to Cancer Research.

How it would work, everyone meets somewhere near John O' Groats the night before or on the morning we leave. we would then drive down through Scotland and into England and stop after about 8-10 hours driving somewhere in England, get drunk in the hotel, sleep, get up and start driving again. Hopefully driving another 8-10 hours (maybe more, maybe less) should get most people to Lands End, Cornwall. Where we would then get drunk again that night and have the prise giving etc and everyone head home the next morning.

I am considering an "all in" package which includes things like your entry fee, hotel stays and say dinner on the two nights (or 3 depending if you stay at John O' Groats for a night)

Then for the one from Lands End to John O' Groats it would all work the same, except going the other way

I would be looking to do this early next year, if I get enough interest then I will confirm a date as soon as I know there would be enough people to make it worth while

Also it won’t just be a thing for ClioSport.net, to get more people I am going to try my luck in other forms.

Tell you friends, you’re Mum, your Dad, anyone who’s got a car really

Any one who like to make some suggestions then please PM me or reply on here.

Look forward to hearing for you all

Cheers

Ryan

Monaro VXR
Id be up for doing this as long as you dont mind a citroen tagging along lol.

But the cause means something to me as well one of my best friends died from cancer and she was only 20 so id be up for doing this to raise some money.

Civic Vtec y0
wozzaa said:
Id be up for doing this as long as you dont mind a citroen tagging along lol.

But the cause means something to me as well one of my best friends died from cancer and she was only 20 so id be up for doing this to raise some money.

Well as I said im not just restricting it to Clios, just getting as many cars as possible. Watch this space for more info

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i have had friends who have sent up websites through thevarious cancer charities for when they did fundraising events which allowed people to donate via their personal website on the main cancer website.

Maybe that is something to look into aswell fella?

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
Im SO SO SO SO in, my grandad died of cancer but i also live, drive and breathe GUMBALL.
as long there are no sily speed restrictions other than the 'speed limits'

Civic Vtec y0
Thanks for the idea seb182, il look into that. Was thinking about doing the donations thru paypal but they charge you and thats less money that cud hav went to charity!

Harry_manback, well by law i cant organise a "Race" on public roads, its a "tour" im organising lol but theres a first, second and third place for a reason if you know what i mean???

muz

big fat japanese bus
interesting buta few more ideas for the pot

Get people to sponsor you for fuel, costs etc. If you can raise enough you cover your costs and also make money for the charity.

Putting this through my work and friends could easily raise £300 which would more than cover costs.

However there are safety concerns.

1 Driving for this length of time is dangerous and we would need to take registered stops

2 All those people would try and race wouldnt they?

However I think it is a great idea if done in the summer I would do it no probe, raised quite a bit for CR this year with running so why not raise some more with driving?

We could get media coverage for it(I work in the media for a 105,000 reader magazine) and I also personally know the marketing guy for CR Scotland

things to think about

Civic Vtec y0
Well we could have checkpoints along the way, say every 2 hours. To stop and get food, coffee etc.
Yes I would say that everyone will race, but I can only advise them not to, although again this needs to be looked at in more detail.

People getting sponsored is also a good idea, so say I rasied £300 from friends and family, i would pay 4 my petrol out of that and donate the rest?

All these things will def be considered before a final decision is made

One more thing, if anyone is, or knows of any one, on other car forums could they let me know as im trying to get it posted as many places as possible

Cheers guys

E91 M Sport
Clio_MK1 said:
One more thing, if anyone is, or knows of any one, on other car forums could they let me know as im trying to get it posted as many places as possible

Cheers guys

Good idea mate :)

Try The Z forum, they're a good bunch, always up for a run.

dk

911 GTS Cab
the legalities of this type of event need to be looked into really aswell as I am sure there are some, especially remotely connecting it to something called the gumball rally as everyone knows what happens at those types of events.

I just think this needs to be looked into carefully before anything further is organised and permissions need to be got etc.

Not trying to put a dampener on the event as i think its a good idea and a charity also close to my heart but its the sort of thing that needs to be carefully planned from the beginning.

Civic Vtec y0
dave182 said:
the legalities of this type of event need to be looked into really aswell as I am sure there are some, especially remotely connecting it to something called the gumball rally as everyone knows what happens at those types of events.

I just think this needs to be looked into carefully before anything further is organised and permissions need to be got etc.

Not trying to put a dampener on the event as i think its a good idea and a charity also close to my heart but its the sort of thing that needs to be carefully planned from the beginning.

I understand what your saying and couldn't agree more. As I said it was just an idea that popped in2 my head tonight thats how early the planning is just now lol. Police are always more than helpful on these sorts of things so of course they will be contacted and I will get them to give me advice etc.

Could anyone whos interested please email me lynas@easy.com and I will keep a note of your email address and email with the full details once the event has been sucessfully organised. This is not to say you will def take part, just to show interest so that I can get an idea of numbers

Cheers

My dad died of cancer just over 2 years back so i'd be well up for getting the remains of my clio on the road for that!!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Im up for that but will have to be 1 of the boring ones that doesnt race, cant afford more points!! That and I promised my Grandad (who died last year from cancer) that Id stop driving like a loon! Pretty much managed it except a couple of occassions!

Shhh
How about people just tagging on as they went along, that way i dont have to drive all the way to the end of the country, to drive to cornwall, all the way back up again, to drive all the way back....

always could get a courtsey car that weekend..

Civic Vtec y0
EvilJohn said:
Im up for that but will have to be 1 of the boring ones that doesnt race, cant afford more points!! That and I promised my Grandad (who died last year from cancer) that Id stop driving like a loon! Pretty much managed it except a couple of occassions!
Well its not a race, its to raise money 4 charity so im sure there will be a lot of people racing but a lot will also just be doing it for the fun and to raise money of course.

Civic Vtec y0
Just looked at britballrun.co.uk, this event can be made legal which is excellent news! So I now know for def that it will go ahead with the right planning! Remember to email me if your interested (lynas@easy.com)

been planning thru this for most of the night and have got a lot sorted. will have a final plan within the new few days

Cupra
Deathrace 2000 comes to the UK.....

Sounds like a great plan though. How about including a morning on a track as part of the trip? It would let people vent some steam safely.

Good luck!

I would be up for this (I would have to start from Lands End though)

Something to think about, stickers! Some large and small Cancer Research UK & ClioSport stickers for bonnets, roofs, windows etc and anything else appropriate! If we are going to do it we have to advertise it!

S2000
I would probably be up for this - like a few on here some of my relatives have died due to cancer so it's definately a cause I would be willing to rasie money for. I think it would be best to have this a bit into next year (may or june say) as by then the weather will be better so it will be safer all round and you will probably get more people going.

With the right sort of promotion of this - car forums, contacting cancer research to spread the word, people telling their friends etc I think you could get a huge number of entries and raise a lot of cash. I would have to have the RSi in by then though ;)

You could also have one group going from lands end to john o'groats at the same time as another group go from john o'groats to lands end and have one of the stops the same for both groups. If you are planning on organising it though you would need a lot of people to help organise hotels, route, payment etc etc but I am sure there are plenty that would be willing to help.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
I like the idea of the stickers.
I dont like the idea of, 2 hourly stops, totally uneccessary. This might be a really well organised event but getting lost in the middle of nowhere and going 50 miles in the wrong direction is what its all about. but i feel that things like TOM TOM's will ruin the event.
+ i know its a long way but i think doing 8 hours on a motorway is enough for anyone.
obviously its the fastest way but its also the most boring. thing u should plan a route and get local people to go and research detours and checkpoints off the beaten track if u get me!

+ if your in it, your in it, i dont like the idea of people joining in half way. im totally midlands so eaither way is a long way from where i wanna go. remember everyone drives the same distance in the end, so even those who live in scotland will still have to drive back up there when it finishes.

As for the racing, obviously with a lot of cars this is a realyl bad idea, BUT i wont follow a police or clio convoy for 8-10hours!! like i said above, to make these events the best, there needs to be a sence of adventure, hopfully this will take away from the urge to speed.!!!

Civic Vtec y0
Well we need all our cars to stand out so stickers will be got from cancer rearch and Cliosport (hint hint guys! wod u like 2 donate a few?? lol)

Well how does this idea sound, we have one checkpoint and a finish line for the day. Once you reach the first checkpoint you can stop and get a coffee or somethin to eat ect or you can just keep going so that people who are in it just for the driving can relax and have a rest whereas the people who want to race (im not encouraging people to race, but lets be honest it will happen) can carry on right away. There will be not route given to anyone, the only thing you will know at the start of the day is where the first check point is, then when you reach the checkpoint you will be given the finish destination so that everyone has to go to the checkpoint (which will probably not just be a motorway service station as we will need to get a big car park some where!)

As I said all these ideas will be taken into consideration, good effort so far guys! Remember to email me, lynas@easy.com, if you want me 2 email you the full details once they have all been confirmed!

Cheers

RenaultSport Clio 182
Sounds like a great idea. Agree with the post above that would be good to try and avoid motorways where possible to take in some better driving roads, increase the interest factor a bit for drivers.

Could try these forums as well for other people to take part:
http://www.mx5ocforum.co.uk/ and
http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/default.asp

Used both of them at one time or another and lots of good people on them.

Darn it my connections slow today - just seen the next post and no set route sounds cool. Good to give people the opportunity to do as much or little driving as they want and take in scenery or 'race'! if they want to

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Clio_MK1 said:
Well we need all our cars to stand out so stickers will be got from cancer rearch and Cliosport (hint hint guys! wod u like 2 donate a few?? lol)

Well how does this idea sound, we have one checkpoint and a finish line for the day. Once you reach the first checkpoint you can stop and get a coffee or somethin to eat ect or you can just keep going so that people who are in it just for the driving can relax and have a rest whereas the people who want to race (im not encouraging people to race, but lets be honest it will happen) can carry on right away. There will be not route given to anyone, the only thing you will know at the start of the day is where the first check point is, then when you reach the checkpoint you will be given the finish destination so that everyone has to go to the checkpoint (which will probably not just be a motorway service station as we will need to get a big car park some where!)

As I said all these ideas will be taken into consideration, good effort so far guys! Remember to email me, lynas@easy.com, if you want me 2 email you the full details once they have all been confirmed!

Cheers

MAke your own up mate...club can't afford to shell out cash!

muz

big fat japanese bus
starting to sound more lik a treasure hunt now !

By the way from John o Groats to about inverness it is ALL back roads! and this needs to be in the sumer, loads of roads are closed in the winter with snow

trust me if you are doing it all back roads it will take blooming ages and ages sitting behind someone at 50 can get hellish if there are 20 cars !

Motorways would help generate publicity

Civic Vtec y0
kevinh said:
Sounds like a great idea. Agree with the post above that would be good to try and avoid motorways where possible to take in some better driving roads, increase the interest factor a bit for drivers.

Could try these forums as well for other people to take part:
http://www.mx5ocforum.co.uk/ and
http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/default.asp

Used both of them at one time or another and lots of good people on them.

Darn it my connections slow today - just seen the next post and no set route sounds cool. Good to give people the opportunity to do as much or little driving as they want and take in scenery or 'race'! if they want to

Can you get on to these forums and post the message on my behalf? Just put my email address and stuff on it and tell them to email me if they want anymore info and I would be able to access their pages.
Cheers

Civic Vtec y0
muzz said:
starting to sound more lik a treasure hunt now !

By the way from John o Groats to about inverness it is ALL back roads! and this needs to be in the sumer, loads of roads are closed in the winter with snow

trust me if you are doing it all back roads it will take blooming ages and ages sitting behind someone at 50 can get hellish if there are 20 cars !

Motorways would help generate publicity

As there is not specified route people can go which ever way they want, if you want to take back roads you can, or if you want to sit on the motorway you can...depends which way you want to take it

cock mobile.
This could get very very large quickly.

Some careful planning would be needed, as well as informing police, etc.

Civic Vtec y0
Well police will need to be informed, as it said in a pervious reply it can be made legal. It just means the entire route will be full of police which is a good thing in a way coz it means theres less chance of a serious accident occuring. The more cars the better, more cars = more money for charity

S2000
Clio_MK1 said:
As there is not specified route people can go which ever way they want, if you want to take back roads you can, or if you want to sit on the motorway you can...depends which way you want to take it

I think the point he is making is that from John O'Groat to Inverness there isn't any option but to go on back roads as there are no motorways etc - therefor it would slow everyone down as there are always people on these roads who just toddle along at 50mph the whole way.

As I said before it's a great idea but it will need carefull planning.

I'm totally up for this. Maybe just one way though lol. Jon o groats - lands end - jon o groats? Jesus! It would have to be summer for sure. Big Dock off stickers are a must! Need some top heavy lovelies to wave chequered flags. And we'd all need racing jackets and aviator shades. I can get some mates on board? might even organise me own team?? Don't race though guys. No matter how careful you think you are or how good a driver you think you are its inevitable there will be a crash. red mist takes over at this kind of event and i'm talking from experience! I should even be able to get my mates Mini club along they love events!!! How much fun is this going to be and for such a good cause!!! If you need help getting organised I'll do what i can!

Civic Vtec y0
Gilbert_Ratchet said:
I'm totally up for this. Maybe just one way though lol. Jon o groats - lands end - jon o groats? Jesus! It would have to be summer for sure. Big Dock off stickers are a must! Need some top heavy lovelies to wave chequered flags. And we'd all need racing jackets and aviator shades. I can get some mates on board? might even organise me own team?? Don't race though guys. No matter how careful you think you are or how good a driver you think you are its inevitable there will be a crash. red mist takes over at this kind of event and i'm talking from experience! I should even be able to get my mates Mini club along they love events!!! How much fun is this going to be and for such a good cause!!! If you need help getting organised I'll do what i can!

I think you misunderstood me, there will be one event from john O's 2 lands end and a different event from lands end 2 john O's
As I also said before you dont need to own a Clio to take part, its for charity so obviously if you have a banged up old nova or a brand new evo it doesnt matter as long as you raise some cash!!
A team entry wod b a good idea, this will be taken into consideration.
Where bouts do you live, PM me??

Cheers

cannonball? u have ya time taken when u leave. you have your time taken when you arrive. you go watever route you like. you do not condone speeding tho (if the people do and get ccaught its there problem) £30 a person. person arriving in shortest time gets say £300. all other money goes to the charity. you must also inform all the counties people could possible go thro of your charity run. cars should be stickered up that there on the charity run. (plus doing this will make them stick out like a sore thumb to police that WILL be watching as you've told the county. so speeding will be more limited. just an idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.