ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hand brake clunk on Cup

E36 323i coupe

Hi there,

My car gets driven once a week. It is parked in a garage the rest of the time. When I get the car out, I get a clunk as I take the hand brake off, and it feels like it is still on! And the car has to get over the brake!

I cant leave the handbrake off as the garage slopes towards the door... I have tried leaving it in third with brake off, but it still rolls....

Any thoughts?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

its the damp causes the pads to stick to the discs if the vehicle is left stood for a while with the handbrake on.no known repair that i know of.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

does that every morning in my saxo. car parked outside on drive, hand brake on not too tight but enough to prevent car rolling back. old rt did the same, just slight rust building up through over night damp. rust develops really quick on brakes, ever noticed it when you wash your car?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

drum brakes dont suffer from it/can be prevented due to the braking surfaces are protected from the weather as they are inside the drum.discs however are exposed so you get the problem.maybe if renault changed the pad material they could cure it but they havent yet.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Any car if left knowing it wont be moved for a while ive left in either first or reverse depending on which way the hill is. The car will move very slightly but not very much at all.