ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handbrake cable HELPPPP!

Clio 182 Blue
Hi guys, having a major problem finding a handbrake cable that will actually fit my clio 182 (2004).

I've bought 3 now, returned 2. I have the closest fitting one on at the moment with roughly 20 zip ties but they keep stretching.

It's the right hand side.

Could someone please link me to one that will fit pleeease!

Listerine & Poledo
as above, renault only.

local garage had to find out the hard way too when mine went.

derv biege barge
I did mine a week or 2 ago. 1 snapped so I fitted a new pair. Did it myself on the driveway with car on axle stands.

Not too bad a job if you dont mind getting your hands dirty, the worst part was the adjuster bolt cant get much of a turn on it due to limited access.

I bought these parts :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clio-182-handbrake-cable-RHS-Genuine-Renaultsport-11-/310331342668?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4841307f4c#ht_619wt_1163

&

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clio-sport-182-handbrake-cable-LHS-Genuine-Renault-11-/310331343078?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item48413080e6

from the seller in the links above (co operative motor group) and they fitted perfectly they are genuine renault items with the correct part numbers.

I had read on these forums that they stretch slightly after a few weeks so rather than get back under there 2 weeks later to readjust it I set it quite tight 2 or 3 clicks of handbrake to fully on. After a week or two it now takes 4-5 clicks so has stretched and is now as it was before it snapped. Happy days & good luck with it.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
My cable snapped at the back so took it local garage. He ordered cables from local parts supplier but they weren't Renault cables so they were wrong length when they were tried fitting. I had to go and get a set from main dealers and they went on without any problems. Handbrake is better now than its ever been

Clio 182 Blue
I did mine a week or 2 ago. 1 snapped so I fitted a new pair. Did it myself on the driveway with car on axle stands.

Not too bad a job if you dont mind getting your hands dirty, the worst part was the adjuster bolt cant get much of a turn on it due to limited access.

I bought these parts :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clio-182-handbrake-cable-RHS-Genuine-Renaultsport-11-/310331342668?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4841307f4c#ht_619wt_1163

&

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clio-sport-182-handbrake-cable-LHS-Genuine-Renault-11-/310331343078?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item48413080e6

from the seller in the links above (co operative motor group) and they fitted perfectly they are genuine renault items with the correct part numbers.

I had read on these forums that they stretch slightly after a few weeks so rather than get back under there 2 weeks later to readjust it I set it quite tight 2 or 3 clicks of handbrake to fully on. After a week or two it now takes 4-5 clicks so has stretched and is now as it was before it snapped. Happy days & good luck with it.

Awsome cheers buddy, so looking around £50 for the pair. I'm assuming getting the cables directly from renault would be more?

koi

Audi S1
Paid £51.67 for the pair from Renault back in March, they had to order them in though.

derv biege barge
EBay seller is a quid or two cheaper than Renault plus they n eed to order them in. I recieved mine within 2 or 3 days of payment.

Clio 182 Blue
All done :) received next day, after removing heat-shield and 5 minutes of installation, handbrake is as good as new :D

Cheers lads

dan's cast offs.
pagid used to fit but since euro have bought them out the ones they've sent me have been wrong. if you get a colour coded one them it should fit ok, if it's all black then don't even bother trying to fit.

firstline ones do fit ok.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Cheers guys.

I've no idea on how the cable is made up etc, so wasn't sure if a set of 2 was needed for 1 side haha.

Are they simple enough to fit? I was quoted an hours labour but someone above says 5 mins..

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Some proper jews here still! An hours labour is going to be pretty standard for a garage to charge and anyone who say's it's a 5mins job is full of s**t.... It takes you that to get the car on the lift and the rear wheels off and that's before you've got to the minefields that is removing the heat shields and removing the old cables from the bracketry.

It is a straight forward enough job though but it'll take you a good 35-50mins to replace the old shiz and setup the new cables properly.

Mick

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Some proper jews here still! An hours labour is going to be pretty standard for a garage to charge and anyone who say's it's a 5mins job is full of s**t.... It takes you that to get the car on the lift and the rear wheels off and that's before you've got to the minefields that is removing the heat shields and removing the old cables from the bracketry.

It is a straight forward enough job though but it'll take you a good 35-50mins to replace the old shiz and setup the new cables properly.

Mick

Thanks a lot Mick. May just pay the labour then. Can you confirm if the above for a 182 will fit a 172.. and covers both sides. Only my off side cable has snapped but may as well do both sides?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yeah, they're the same parts for all the X65 RS Phases. They are handed though but if you buy the genuine cables you won't have an issue. I think they're about £19+VAT each but that may not be retail (Well, they are when we supply/fit)

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Yeah, they're the same parts for all the X65 RS Phases. They are handed though but if you buy the genuine cables you won't have an issue. I think they're about £19+VAT each but that may not be retail (Well, they are when we supply/fit)

Thanks. Will get the above ordered asap.

£120 all in for handbrake cables :(

Mick

Amen to this

5 minutes to physically disconnect and pull out and replace the cable itself... if the cars in the air, stripped down, and ready to remove the cable.. But sometimes heat shields that haven't been touched since new or other bodges can add an hour onto the job.

I reckon it took me 5 minutes to feed the new cable through the hole to the lever in the dark! lol

dan's cast offs.
heatshields never much of an issue but had some where the cable sits in the calliper was an absolute pig to get out.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The heat shields on the Phase 1's are held on by silly T25 dome heads and they round for fun as they've not been off since Jesus put them on at factory. They're the only tricky ones tbd but it's still not a 5min job.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Damn! I need a set also, if you wouldn't mine mate when you receive them can you see if they are the same as the ones from EBay:up:?

Just comparing part numbers? Yeah course!

The bloke on the phone for RPD was pretty certain that the 172 ones and 182 ones are different because of different part numbers, but I trusted @MicKPM haha. No way I was paying £48 per side.

Just comparing part numbers? Yeah course!

The bloke on the phone for RPD was pretty certain that the 172 ones and 182 ones are different because of different part numbers, but I trusted @MicKPM haha. No way I was paying £48 per side.

Length and end fittings if you wouldn't mind mate? 1450mm / 1170mm
s-l1600.jpg

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
No idea! I ordered the ones on the link above which definitely state 182, but who knows!

Invoice..

image.jpg

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The ones I have in stock at present are also all black... when they're under the car, nobody cares.