ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hankook V12 vs Uniroyal RS2

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Hi.

Had a bit of a search both on here and google but not found anything definative really. The Clio needs tyres all round really, and I never really gelled with the PS3's after coming from the PE2's, so fancy trying another brand.

Has anyone any experience of either the Hankooks or Uniroyals, or both? I know they tend to be both well rated on here, so which would you go for?

Looking for 205/45/16's, if it makes any difference.

Cheers,
Luke.

Trophy #382
I have uniroyal rainsport 2's. cannot really fault them as a road tyre, they dont seem to wear either which is odd! Wet grip is great. My only gripe is slightly soft on turn in

I have never had uniroyals but would have them over hankooks anyday!!!

I currently have hankook v12 evos and think they are horrendously s**t!! 30mph in the rain feels very uneasy on them plus the sidewalls are very soft..

I do not rate them at all...

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I've got rainsports and they're amazing, wet grip is unreal and they refuse to let the car aquaplane,
dry grip is really good aswell and the grip is progessive, so when pushing it round a corner the understeer will slowly build up,
so you know when you're reaching the limit and not suddenly let go like other tyres.

Around £50quid a corner aswell which can't be bad.

Looking for 182
I've got Hankook V12s at the moment; whilst I'm the first to admit I know nothing about tires I have never been in a situation where I've felt I've lacked grip. They seem great to me, and they're a good price too.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I've got V12's and I think the sidewall is WAY too soft. The compound is nice and grippy, but I'm not confident in them. The tyres tuck under on the front even running close to -2deg of camber. I think I'll be going back to Paradas next time.

Titanium 182
I am in the same situation as you Luke!

Uniroyal’s seems good enough.

Dan – Do you not think the paradas are mega soft?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I like the RS2's a lot, but if you use them hard in the dry they really do just fall to pieces.
In fact even at llandow where it was fairly wet last week I managed to see quite a lot of wear on the passenger side front in only a couple of hours total use.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Thanks for the input guys. Dan, are we talking T1R soft when it comes to the V12 sidewalls? Had those on my fiesta and wasn't that impressed really, especially coming from Eagle F1's.

Think I'm leaning slightly towards the RS2's now. Will have a check on camskill at availability.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Rainsport 2s are quite incredible in the wet and very good in the dry. They do give up a little quicker towards understeer than the PS3s on very hard cornering but we are talking right at the margins.
I also found I lost a bit on turn in but not much, although I am back on PS3s. Perhaps try the Rainsports in a "W" rating, see if a higher speed rating provides a tauter sidewall. They're £66.40 exc. fitting from Camskill at the moment so good value.
Never tried V12 Evos but some reviewers say not as good as a PS3 in the rain. Wet weather performance is critical for me.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Leeroy, if you end up buying before me let me know what you go for pal.

I like the RS2's a lot, but if you use them hard in the dry they really do just fall to pieces.
In fact even at llandow where it was fairly wet last week I managed to see quite a lot of wear on the passenger side front in only a couple of hours total use.

Hmm, wear is certainly something to factor in. While I don't drive like a hero/penis everywhere, I'd like to think they'd last me longer than the ps3's have! Had them fitted in January and they're barely legal now, although that could be down to the fact that I need new track rod ends.

Audi A3
i can only echo the previous posts on complimenting the uniroyals.

went from pe2s and had them on now for about 6 months and cant fault them.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Wet weather performance is critical for me.

Same here, I drive from Cov to Stratford Upon Avon four times a week, the A46 turns into a lake when it rains hard,
the standing water has to seen to be believed, I think i'd have had an accident by now if it wasn't for Rainsports.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Rainsport 2s are quite incredible in the wet and very good in the dry. They do give up a little quicker towards understeer than the PS3s on very hard cornering but we are talking right at the margins.
I also found I lost a bit on turn in but not much, although I am back on PS3s. Perhaps try the Rainsports in a "W" rating, see if a higher speed rating provides a tauter sidewall. They're £66.40 exc. fitting from Camskill at the moment so good value.
Never tried V12 Evos but some reviewers say not as good as a PS3 in the rain. Wet weather performance is critical for me.

That's a good point re the speed rating mate, never thought of that. Certainly can't grumble at that price tbh.

Ant, will email you back soon btw mate, didn't get much of a lunch today!

Titanium 182
Tyres are always a big thing for me.

I bought verdsteins for the Megane and they were out of this work, incredible in the wet, so may look into them again.

Uniroyal’s seem pretty good, I don’t use the car on track, just the odd by road blast, so the tyres have to last for me

I need tyres within the next 2 weeks for sure.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
For road use I think you will like the RS2 a lot, its just track work than rips them to bit with them getting too hot if there isnt a lot of water.

Ultimately though, the shoulders dont have a lot of material on them (the main reason they are so good in the wet is they are so good at getting water dispersed off the shoulder and out) so they wont last as long as a result, but they are still "ok" for durability IMHO.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Tyres are always a big thing for me.

I bought verdsteins for the Megane and they were out of this work, incredible in the wet, so may look into them again.

Uniroyal’s seem pretty good, I don’t use the car on track, just the odd by road blast, so the tyres have to last for me

I need tyres within the next 2 weeks for sure.

Lol, we're definately in the same situation mate.

Thanks for the info Chip, will more than likely give them a try.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
That's a good point re the speed rating mate, never thought of that. Certainly can't grumble at that price tbh.

Ant, will email you back soon btw mate, didn't get much of a lunch today!

Well you can only get the Hankook V12s with a W rating in our size so from people's comments about the sidewalls, they really must be soft.
I reckon Rainsport 2s with a W rating is probably a safe bet. I am fairly sure you won't dislike them anyway.
It is a rain tyre so the compound will be softer (in terms of wear) but the ones I had wore pretty well.
I think I may be moving to 15s next to get back to PE2s at £60/corner and maybe lose some unsprung weight.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Oooh, that may be a good shout Tim, loved those on my Fiesta!

I'm also needing some tyres so watching this thread :)

Currently using Hankook V12's and rate them alot, but if there are better tyres for the same money/cheaper then I'll get those this time!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I think the v12s would be a lot better in 16s with a small sidewall. In a 15 they feel nervous

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Completely agree, my car seems to wallow with them on too in 15" form.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I noticed on Camskill they've got Goodyear GSD3's in 205 45 16, great tyre in wet or dry.

Was going to say this exact thing, I'd be tempted by them if I were buying.

I do like my V12s though, never had any scary moments unlike the T1Rs I had once.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
V12s have good levels of grip, but they just seemed to have less 'feel' and a less progressive breaking point than Michelins IMO.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Had V12s on my Ph1 for a while, in 16".. thought they were fantastic.

Got them on my bus now in 17" and they are superb wet and dry. Wet especially. Would recommend them to anyone.

Paradas in 15" were mega soft but had no issues with them for 2 years on the Ph1. Wouldn't run them again as wet was 'interesting'.. progressive but not confidence inspiring !

I've had the V12's (15's) and the Rainsport 2's (16's).

Prefer the Uniroyals personally. Dry is acceptable, if a little soft in the side walls, but the wet grip is mindbogglingly good. The V12's were not really any better in the dry but their wet performance is not as confidence inspiring in my opinion.

Given the choice, especially when looking at the year round British climate, I thing that the UR Rainsport 2's are probably the best overall.

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member
Im running Pirelli P Zero nero's 205 45 16 on the 182 and the grip i the dry with this hot weather is great, can stomp on the pedal and they just grip
Haven't done any full on hard cornering with them yet.
But get them in the wet and they just spin up if you look at them wrong :S
Coming off a round about (damp no standing water) 30mph in 2nd about 2/3 throttle and they were spinning up(they were cold too).
Only been on about 700 miles so need to give them a better go in other conditions.
Maybe look at some Uniroyals next time

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
dotLukedot... just buy a set and get on with it. Toss a coin and choose...

Tyres seem to be a very grey area .. everyone's got an opinion on them. People's driving style and different cars make a difference.

I had T1Rs on the scoob and I hated them, but had them in 15" on Sash's dCi and had no problems at all with them wet or dry.

Some people can't seem to corner with Paradas in the dry, I had no problems with them in the wet or dry...

Have you bought them yet ? :rasp:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Best tyres I've driven on in the wet lately have been Federal 595 RSR's

Have you seen any of these issues:

http://clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23657

http://www.ek9.org/forum/tyre-wheels/48289-faulty-federal-595-rs-r.html

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/839...l-595-rs-r-vs-bridgestone-re-11/page__st__175

Ive ordered a set now anyway so will be giving them a try, but it does appear they are extremely poorly made from the number of people that have had them literally fall apart in use.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I found the hankooks a bit dodgy on the 182 with the 45 profile sidewalls were to soft for my liking, wet grip was amazing though.

Still cant decide with what to go for next, paradas would be the best option and I find they are brilliant in the dry but I tend to feel on edge in the wet.

Clio 182 FF
I've got rainsport 2's as said they are brilliant in the wet, but they are average in the dry. Side walls are too soft but running at 36psi improves alittle.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
I found the hankooks a bit dodgy on the 182 with the 45 profile sidewalls were to soft for my liking, wet grip was amazing though.

Still cant decide with what to go for next, paradas would be the best option and I find they are brilliant in the dry but I tend to feel on edge in the wet.

Paradas have softer side walls than Hankooks