ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hankook V12 vs Uniroyal RS2

FF 182
Just got 4 uniroyal rainsport 2's fitted all round. Not really "tested" them yet. I was used to my V12's but decided to go for the uniroyals this time round.

It may just be me but i felt the Hankooks were a little better on cornering, but it may just be me needing to get used to the tyre

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Rs2's fall apart if you drive them hard in the dry, they are great in the wet but in the dry they dont corner especially well and they certainly cant take being abused.

I actually ripped one to bits on the llandow day, and we left just as it was drying out, they really do need to be used in wet conditions only when it comes to hard cornering really.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I havent seen that mentioned in any other reviews for them

Have you ever seen a review of them as a nearly dry track tyre before? lol

If not then you wont have seen anything mentioned about them in that context, lol

Im not slagging them off, I love them for their wet performance and they work fine as a normal road tyre, I still use them to this day when im on trackdays that dont allow full wets (ie when they have to be road legal) but Im just trying to be realistic about what happens if you corner them hard in the dry.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Did you buy any Luke?

Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas for me. Price is crazy for the performance of the tyre. Of course these aren't £150 tyres but imo they are easily on par with the best out there. Testament to that, the Mk2 Frs boys have been firing them on for a while now, much better than the CSC3's.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Did you buy any Luke?

Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas for me. Price is crazy for the performance of the tyre. Of course these aren't £150 tyres but imo they are easily on par with the best out there. Testament to that, the Mk2 Frs boys have been firing them on for a while now, much better than the CSC3's.

Not looked at these before...interesting tread pattern...doesn't look like the water will have anywhere to go. Plus side I guess is that the pattern isn't riddled with loads of small blocks that generate heat.

So 1.5 ton FRSs are OK on these...on track?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Those are cheap Gally, my front Dunlop Sport Max have only lasted 2 and a bit months so might get these!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Not looked at these before...interesting tread pattern...doesn't look like the water will have anywhere to go. Plus side I guess is that the pattern isn't riddled with loads of small blocks that generate heat.

So 1.5 ton FRSs are OK on these...on track?

I'm guessing there was a lot of sarcasm in there? My detector is broken.

Well one chap, runs 400bhp jamsport and think they're the best tyres he's used. Much better than the 3's that were on it from factory anyway.

They've been epic in the wet but they are new.

Those are cheap Gally, my front Dunlop Sport Max have only lasted 2 and a bit months so might get these!

Great price.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'm guessing there was a lot of sarcasm in there? My detector is broken.

Well one chap, runs 400bhp jamsport and think they're the best tyres he's used. Much better than the 3's that were on it from factory anyway.

They've been epic in the wet but they are new.

Nope, no intended sarcasm...was SRS.

I nigh-on wiped out a brand new set of PE2s at Llandow recently with only half a day of dry running. Never had that issue in my 172 Cup which weighed 250kgs less.

So I'm trying to decide on a tyre that will handle a 1,240 kg car on track without melting, but still give 10-12k road miles as well. Never ever considered these hence the question.

Your friend tracks his FRS? Do you know anyone that has on a set of these?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I shall ask the question. Not sure how many times it's been on track. Moby might be able to tell us better. I'll ask.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
WEll he has them on his 19's and done 5k. Hardly touched the tread.

On his 18" Comps with heavy use off track he's done 7k and the fronts are at 4-5mm. Baring in mind it's FWD running over 400 brake iirc.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
WEll he has them on his 19's and done 5k. Hardly touched the tread.

On his 18" Comps with heavy use off track he's done 7k and the fronts are at 4-5mm. Baring in mind it's FWD running over 400 brake iirc.

So is that a "no" to the track use then that Mark was asking about?

As on the road its hard to drive the same way to really test a tyre how it will be on track, certainly in terms of actually getting proper heat into the tyres like you will the front outside one going round and round a circuit, unless you find a massive roundabout and do 100 laps of it, lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No idea. I've never tracked a car in my life.

He did say plenty of them have used them on track and he hasn't heard any complaints.

If I was a serious track user why would you buy a midrange tyre anyway?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
No idea. I've never tracked a car in my life.

He did say plenty of them have used them on track and he hasn't heard any complaints.

If I was a serious track user why would you buy a midrange tyre anyway?

'Range' is open to interpretation.

Best tyre I ever had on my 172 Cup in my opinion was Yokohama's A539. Most despised them with a passion, but I found they soaked up track abuse/heat with no issues, and still gave 12-15k miles. Not as grippy in either wet or dry as PE2s for example, but in my opinion (and based on my Llandow experience) far superior.

I'm just trying to find something that on my 200;

1. won't melt or shed treadblocks on track
2. gives 10k miles including a handful of trackdays
3. is progressive once you get them moving about

Beyond that I really don't care what brand/range they are or how much grip they have...with the above 3 things satsfied, I'm ultra happy on track.

Lionel Richie
I've just fitted some "Daytona Speed Limit" 195/50 15 Romanian non e-marked remoulds to the wentworth, and you know what, they're not half bad! LOL

RX7 FD
I am running Falken ZE912's, a bit of a left field choice but ran Falkens on my 350 and liked them. Currently doing really well, performing well in the dry/wet with no gripes.

172 Cup
Is £94 for a Pilot 3 from Camskill a good price? Going back to quality tyres after having a couple of budget ones...

I have been quoted £210 for 2 fitted.

I'm off to Costco tomorrow to see what they will charge(There is an offer on for another couple of days)

306 GTI-6
Have you ever seen a review of them as a nearly dry track tyre before? lol

If not then you wont have seen anything mentioned about them in that context, lol

Im not slagging them off, I love them for their wet performance and they work fine as a normal road tyre, I still use them to this day when im on trackdays that dont allow full wets (ie when they have to be road legal) but Im just trying to be realistic about what happens if you corner them hard in the dry.

I didnt realise you were being track specific in your statements. No worries, I havent read the while thread, just last couple of pages, was just curious as I am getting 4 RS2s fitted on Tuesday

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Best tyre I ever had on my 172 Cup in my opinion was Yokohama's A539. Most despised them with a passion, but I found they soaked up track abuse/heat with no issues, and still gave 12-15k miles. Not as grippy in either wet or dry as PE2s for example, but in my opinion (and based on my Llandow experience) far superior.

Beyond that I really don't care what brand/range they are or how much grip they have...with the above 3 things satsfied, I'm ultra happy on track.

Great attitude to have, grip doesn't automatically equal fun.
Quite the opposite sometime.

Titanium 182
I went for the Uniroyals, they work well in the rain.

However they couldn't help me last night

leeroy.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I thought that was a massive river going under a bridge. It's a road!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Ordered some RS2's this morning, cheers all :)

Will report back when I have them fitted, but aim to have new wishbones/ball-joints/track rod ends fitted around the same time, so hopefully will feel like a new car.

Last edited:

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

Michelin PS3 worked well on my R26. I got over 10k out of them and they stood up well to being abused around Donington. No melting and hardly wore at all.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Ordered some RS2's this morning, cheers all :)

Will report back when I have them fitted, but aim to have new wishbones/ball-joints/track rod ends fitted around the same time, so hopefully will feel like a new car.

Taking your time ;)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Taking your time ;)

Still need to order the wishbones dudeee. Will be in touch next week if that's cool?

Also need to sort my bonnet this month in time for CSS. Oh, and get it serviced. Slacking!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The biggest problem the rs2 have in the dry isn't the sidewalls it's that the tread blocks quickly end up slanted over.

One dry trackday will totally wreck them from brand new if you drive hard. You just can't use them for that at all unless you drive very gently on track.

The biggest problem the rs2 have in the dry isn't the sidewalls it's that the tread blocks quickly end up slanted over.

One dry trackday will totally wreck them from brand new if you drive hard. You just can't use them for that at all unless you drive very gently on track.

So which would you recommend, the Hankooks? I currently have Hankooks and find them good, but wondered if there were better tyres for near enough the same money?

If not I'll just get some more this week!