ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Harness Bar vs. Half-Cage, and Airbags

Its the one thing you have to get right! Harnesses are very good, but they have to be done properly, as the only way you will know they dont work is if you crash, and you cant rewing real life ;)

Clio Sport 197
I'm looking at harnesses at the moment and have to say this thread is a breath of fresh of air. So nice not to see a bunch of people pretending to be subject matter experts but instead agreeing its very much a topic of 'for and against'.

Evo 5 RS
Yep, but that's because there isn't really a definite answer short of a few members with different setups taking their cars out and stacking them. Whilst someone sits on track side with a clipboard that has tickboxes for Dead, Injured and Peachy

Clio Sport 197
Yep, but that's because there isn't really a definite answer short of a few members with different setups taking their cars out and stacking them. Whilst someone sits on track side with a clipboard that has tickboxes for Dead, Injured and Peachy

Volunteers?

320d
Bit of a bump here but I am thinking of having a bar welded in with spreader plate like the picture Sam posted.
Would 100 x 100 mm 3mm steel plates with standard roll cage tubing welded in by a proper welder be safe and sufficient to mount harnesses?

View attachment 75733

Using a standard rear brace is not sufficient as a harnesses mounting bar however a weld in one would be if constructed properly Ill get a pictures of a mates to show this.

Wouldn't having just the harness bar like that be hugely dangerous? If you get a strong enough impact to bend the chassis, won't the belts just rip through you, or force you against the seat to the point of crushing you? With no cage to stiffen the inside (or to attach that to), that looks dangerous as hell to me, but maybe I'm wrong :) (and of course not arguing with you, just wondered what others thought) :).

320d
it seems to be done quite a lot. I don't think anybody would really know until they have a big shunt how well it would hold up.

Renault use harnesses in the 275 Trophy R without a cage and that passes tests etc so surely it isn't essential. Longer term plan is to get a cage.