ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Harphamominom's Ph1 Project - sunflower content p12 onwards

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I manned up and made an impulse purchase...
null-17.jpg

Dayum!!

I should also have a new genuine throttle cable waiting at Diamond Motors for me. Mick has the pleasure of fitting all these bits for me ;).

Great mod mate, I love mine.

Yes theres a bit of vibration on idle but when giving it the beans the car feels so much better as there no movement, seems to be a better throttle response and no more knocking. :)

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I'm sure Mick will get them in the perfect position anyway. I want the mechanics of the car to feel brand new, fresh & tight, so this will tick a couple of boxes.

Please don't play this game. I have now had to put a mental ban on myself trying the acheive the same thing your looking for. You will NEVER get the mechanics of the car to feel brand new.

I have replaced pretty much every part of the steering and suspension including all the little details. I wanted a brand new (feeling) Ph1. I am one of these people who have shitty paint work and faded plastics, but I know that the underside of the car is A1. No matter what Part I replace it still feels like a creaky old Clio. I have sunk best part of 10k on my ph1 replacing stuff which in reality did not need replacing.

My advice to anyone going forward will be to only replace s**t that needs replacing. I would rather have spent that money on a turbo conversion or a set of bodies. The gains from renewing my steering/suspension are minimal compared to the difference a turbo would have made.

To be fair, once i've sorted the Powerflex ARB and wishbone bushes out, sorted some solid top mounts, I think that side of things will be pretty much as I want it, as that'll get it as tight and give as much of a "new feeling" as it's going to get.
Then ill go to just replacing the parts that start to fail, as and when needed.

I kind of have a plan of action for the car, once i've done the above, ill be moving back onto the paintwork, having a couple panels resprayed, dents removed etc.

I was looking through some old photos, so i've just made a comparison of when I first got it, to now that it's coilovered. Height difference is ridiculous.
SunflowerComparison.jpg

Last edited:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Looks great mate. Although i thought your car was already on coils.

Mine needs spacers next, among some engine tweaks...;)

Looks great mate. Although i thought your car was already on coils.

Mine needs spacers next, among some engine tweaks...;)
Yeah it's been on coils for a few months now. I was just doing a comparison shot from when I first bought it.

Yeah, yours defo needs spacers. I'm so tempted by a few engine tweets myself. I have a list of things that I want to upgrade/refresh, then I may be looking at more interesting options... ;)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Sportlines dont drop it low enough, it looks even worse if your using spacers.

Id be going cooksports but theres nothing like coilovers for the lows, just buy a good set.

Update

Just got back from Mick @ Diamond Motors. Epic service as always.

Had my new Ktec engine & gearbox mounts fitted, as well as a genuine throttle cable. Car feels transformed. I don't know why I was worried about vibration. It's pretty much made zero difference in that respect. Feels soo much more responsive now though, which is awesome. Mounts definitely needed doing, as they were properly shagged lol.

Next up for me will be sorting out the ARB & wishbone bushes (finally), getting some solid top mounts (ktec or pure), taking it to Mick again for all this and also getting him to lower the front end ever so slightly to level out the stance.

​Love this car.

dis.
It might vibrate the car (I fitted mine so probably fucked it up) but by christ its so worth it!

Mine vibrates a bit but I wouldn't say it feels like it shouldn't. I fitted mine too and the only problem I had was not using the original washer and nut. I called ktech up and they said they don't even use the nut that comes with it, they use the original washer and nut. I've already posted in the 'favourite mod' thread that this is mine, fair play I haven't done much to my cup but I can't see anything making as much of a difference.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I hate that nylock that comes with it and use the standard combo nut as it looks like it'll pull thru the hole if not.

Glad you like it though Paul, that car is still awesome to see.

I hate that nylock that comes with it and use the standard combo nut as it looks like it'll pull thru the hole if not.

Glad you like it though Paul, that car is still awesome to see.

That's exactly why I rang ktech, I can't imagine why they don't just provide a suitable nut/washer.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Update

Just got back from Mick @ Diamond Motors. Epic service as always.

Had my new Ktec engine & gearbox mounts fitted, as well as a genuine throttle cable. Car feels transformed. I don't know why I was worried about vibration. It's pretty much made zero difference in that respect. Feels soo much more responsive now though, which is awesome. Mounts definitely needed doing, as they were properly shagged lol.

Next up for me will be sorting out the ARB & wishbone bushes (finally), getting some solid top mounts (ktec or pure), taking it to Mick again for all this and also getting him to lower the front end ever so slightly to level out the stance.

​Love this car.

Hate to say it but i told you so....:rasp:

​Best mod ive done to mine.

Polished Bliss

So, on Monday I had some wicked news from Polished Bliss. Id only gone and won their show & shine competition!!
The article has gone live on their website today. Awesome to see my car on their homepage and site. Shows how far it's come since I first bought it.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/show-and-shine-june-winner.html

I now have £150 to spend in their store, which i'm currently undecided with what goodies to buy... ;)

Buzzing.

In other news, i've ordered Powerflex ARB bushes from Greggles and I will be ordering Cup Wishbones and Pure Motorsport Top Mounts shortly.

Checking over the car yesterday when cleaning it. Noticed that my tyres are getting close to needing replacing, so i'm again on the hunt for a mint set of OZ F1s that aren't ridiculously priced or 2118s (if anybody has any that they want to shift).
Depending on whether I get any other wheels in the next couple of weeks will depend on whether I buy Top Mounts and Cup Wishbones this month or next.

I've also noticed that over the past few days that my steering feels a bit funny. Checked tyre pressures and bolts, but doesn't seem to have changed anything. May just be in my head, but it just seems to tramline a bit more than usual.

I received all my goodies from PolishedBliss last week, so i'll be giving the car a good detail some point soon. Can't wait to try out the new wax.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
This car is flippin' awesome!

Ive posted in the thread near the beginning but not for some time now. I've been looking at ph1's an incredible amount I've the last few months and thought I'd read a project and yours was the 1st one I thought of :) Started last night and was reading through breaks today and just finished. It's a totally different car.

Also noticed this:

Before CSS, I was considering the future of the sunflower, especially with the 200T on the horizon. After speaking with a few people about it (Dr Jekylls was especially passionate about this ;)), it reinvigorated my enthusiasm to make this car something special!!

I remember speaking to you but can't remember what was said! Good job it was enough, that's all that matters. This project is a good inspiration. Hats off to you Paul :)

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
What Menz polishes did you use? I've got the sf4000 but when comes to sunflowers your the detailing guru.

Times running out for the winter preparation especially if I need to make another order.

Cheers for that Jekyll. I do absolutely love this car. I can't see that I'll ever sell it tbh. It'll always be my little project.

Paul, ill drop you a PM tomorrow when I've had chance to look, but it all does depend on the detail and how bad your paint is.

Fitted my new wheels today, along with a set of new tyres. Looks fresh. I'll post photos tomorrow.
I will be treating myself to Top mounts and Wishbones imminently, as I want that sorted before I detail it in a couple weeks.

Winter Wheels

So, on Wednesday I met up with D4RREN and bought 6 OZ F1s off him. Friday, I ordered 4x new Toyo T1Rs to fit. They arrived Saturday, so got them fitted and on the car. They didn't come with centre caps, but luckily, i've got a few spare anyway, so I spent a bit of yesterday and today spraying those black to match and then fitted them this evening.
The wheels have had a DIY refurb at some point in the past, so are far from mint, and have blue OZ stickers on them, but they're perfect for winter wheels tbh, rather than wrecking my silver rims.
Took some crappy photos tonight. Part of me loves these wheels, but the other part already wants my standard silver F1s back on LOL.
(Excuse the dodgy paintwork. Swirl City atm)

9883517775_6d7b9e65db_c.jpg

22/9/13 - Black OZ F1s by Harpham PT, on Flickr

9883524094_328d489134_c.jpg

22/9/13 - Black OZ F1s by Harpham PT, on Flickr

I'll be detailing the car in a couple of weeks, to get back on top of the finish and prep it for winter.
This week, i'm hoping to finally get round to ordering the Pure Top Mounts and Cup Wishbones... I will get this sorted lol!!