ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has anyone ever seen a FWD Clio v6 swap?

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Before anyone says, yes, I know there's little point as the F4R makes fairly similar power, give or take 20bhp, to the Renault V6 ins non Renaultsport form, but... over the years I've seen all manner of V6s in little cars and the one thing I've never seen is a Clio with one in the front.

It seems a bit odd, there's always someone in a certain 'scene' who is willing to ignore the fact that a conversion is more effort than it's worth but does it anyway, for example I've seen V6s in Novas, Corsas, C2s, Civics (although they really don't fit if you want a bonnet), Mitsubishi Colts, Fiestas, Alfa 145s, Corollas, Then obviously Mazda did it themselves with the MX3 and VW built the Golf VR6, but that doesn't really count.

The one which stands out the most though, is the conversions in 206s, there's a 180bhp engine which is very good already but there's still V6 swaps that have been done over the years, the same with the 306, not a huge gain over a standard engine but people have done it anyway.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen one.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Wouldn't the standard non-RS V6 simply be too lethargic to be driven in anger? Although no VTEC, the F4R is pretty rev-happy. I would have thought the V6 would be more designed with torque in mind and for cruising on motorways.

Then with the added weight over the front axle, the nimble response of these cars would be further compromised. It would be an interesting engineering challenge - but to get any 'benefit' from it would be dubious at best.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Well they make somewhere between 190 and 210bhp depending on the variant, plus 230bhp in the Clio V6 ph1 and 255bhp in the ph2.

The thing they do make is torque, 200-220lb/ft against the 150 in the F4R.

the argument is there for all the engines I've seen used before, the Vauxhall one makes about 20bhp more than the 2.0 16v but more torque for example.

I get that it would be a bit more weight over the front end but it might not be that dramatic, what's the weight of an F4R?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
There's so many better V6 units than the Renault one. Toyota and Ford both spring to mind although I'm sure there are many more. The Mercedes 3.5L V6 is a good one IIRC. I'm sure I read on here about someone doing the Merc V6 into a Porsche Boxster.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Well they make somewhere between 190 and 210bhp depending on the variant, plus 230bhp in the Clio V6 ph1 and 255bhp in the ph2.

The thing they do make is torque, 200-220lb/ft against the 150 in the F4R.

the argument is there for all the engines I've seen used before, the Vauxhall one makes about 20bhp more than the 2.0 16v but more torque for example.

I get that it would be a bit more weight over the front end but it might not be that dramatic, what's the weight of an F4R?

I'd love to see what the extra weight and torque does to the handling.

I bet it'd be hilarious.

"Come on! Turn in! Lift off just a bi- Fuuuuck, opposite lock, opposite lock!!!"