ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

has lowering damaged you're shocks?

b/g 182, meg tourer
fao people with sports only as it is not really relevant to non-rs models.

i was wondering if over a period of time, have you're apex springs damaged you're shocks? i know they are a bumpy/ sometimes harsh ride, but have they done any damage?
i have prolines atm, love the ride but it still sits about the same height as the standard setup. and sportlines just look a bit odd, and don't seem to lower enough. and coilovers are a bit over budget really.

i have searched but couldn't find anything on actual shock damage.

audi a6 3.0tdi
I lowered mine on sportlines and did about 10,000 miles and had no problems with the dampers at all. the car had 75k on the clock

182 has now gone!
I have prolines on my 182.. Been on over a year and have covered about 10k... Seem fine at the moment.

Meg 230 f1
bloke that did my MOT said my shocks are shot because of my springs just waiting for them to go, gives me a reason to buy coilovers

CLIO
ive got apex 40mm(more like 60mm) on mine and my rear shocks have bled everywhere,looks like the coilovers are a step closer...;)

SQ5
Apex 40mm on mine (which I wish were 60:p) and needed a rear shock replaced for MOT but whether the two go hand in hand I doubt it!

ST
APEX springs on standard dampers are jail bait...sportlines or prolines are the only springs that'll work well on standard dampers..

APEX if you want the lowered look and to pretty much ruin the handling characteristics of a good car..

Eibach sportline if you want a bit of everything, tightens up the handling no end and gives a more aggressive stance over standard..

APEX springs on standard dampers are jail bait...sportlines or prolines are the only springs that'll work well on standard dampers..

APEX if you want the lowered look and to pretty much ruin the handling characteristics of a good car..

Eibach sportline if you want a bit of everything, tightens up the handling no end and gives a more aggressive stance over standard..

Why would it ruin the handling?

ST
Theres no would, they WILL ruin the handling of the car.

Apex springs aren't progressive like the eibach's are so they are either compressed or not where as the eibach's are progressive which will give a better feel.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Theres no would, they WILL ruin the handling of the car.

Apex springs aren't progressive like the eibach's are so they are either compressed or not where as the eibach's are progressive which will give a better feel.
Alan i had apex springs on the cup n the handling wasnt compromised what so ever mate!!

:nono:

Nope cos I got 30% uprated shocks also.
I have a non RS but dont see why its not relivent...shocks is shocks.

b/g 182, meg tourer
thanks for the input guys.
like i said, i have prolines atm and the handling and ride is great! just want it that bit lower.
might settle for some sportlines in the new year.
i wouldn't say that the apex ruined my handling when i had them but it did skittle a bit around corners and it was a pretty harsh ride.

thanks again for the input

ST
My old 182 on sportlines:

DSC00746.jpg

DSC00760.jpg

Picture023-1.jpg

Picture100.jpg

SQ5

This is so untrue! I have a lot less roll around corners and the general stiffness is great, only thing that is a pain is UK roads but its still not the worst car I've had!

b/g 182, meg tourer
This is so untrue! I have a lot less roll around corners and the general stiffness is great, only thing that is a pain is UK roads but its still not the worst car I've had!

yeah, i had apex on for over a year and i thought that there was very little body roll.
skittled a little around corners at speed.
and they were pretty bumpy/harsh

A Flamin' Red one
No complaints from me on my 40mm Apex. All this talk about ruined handling etc is nonsense unless you're planning on tearing around every corner like Jean Ragnotti - which you're not. At the end of the day it boils down to one thing. How low do you want your car?

Oh, and general rule of thumb. The lower the car, the lower the centre of gravity, the better the handling...

RB 182 cup
yeh ive had apex's on mine for over 6 months now and i dont think there no where near as bad as what everyone says. i dont find them too harsh at all.

i just fthink its what you are used to as i went from a coilovered corsa to my clio and i found them quite soft

one of my rear shocks has just started leaking but i wouldnt put it down to the spring i just think its down to the miles my cars done

TTRS & V50
yeh ive had apex's on mine for over 6 months now and i dont think there no where near as bad as what everyone says. i dont find them too harsh at all.

i just fthink its what you are used to as i went from a coilovered corsa to my clio and i found them quite soft

one of my rear shocks has just started leaking but i wouldnt put it down to the spring i just think its down to the miles my cars done

Couldn't agree more.