ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Have i been ripped off?

Clio 172 sport
I recently brought a clio 172 sport for £4750, on a 02 plate 40000 miles, in really good nick, found out its an import. phonned the bloke up and he said its very rare to get a 172 which isnt an import.....is he bulling me?

You haven't been ripped off though. Imports are worth just as much as normal cars, as long as they have an alarm.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
You haven't been ripped off though. Imports are worth just as much as normal cars, as long as they have an alarm.

This is correct, as once out of warranty what does it matter:S

Up to 3 years old you miss out on full AA cover etc, but it's no big issue.

Anyway they are all built in france so all are imports ;)

Mini Cooper S sport
They can be more difficult to resell though because many people want a UK spec car. I'm sure my import still had the 3 year's AA cover.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Eg, New, 05 182 uk dealer £13K same car from importer £10K

Save 3 grand, so free insurance & petrol for 3 years, for what is an identical car.

172 Race Car
My '02' plate is an import too. They all came out of the same factory. Only difference is it hasnt been "officaly" imported through Southampton, were all "uk spec" cars get treated to an alarm, locking wheel nuts and window etchings. After the car has left the factory. Big deal!

172 Race Car
Yeah that was him.....did he tell you it was an import, and i have had it now for 4 weeks and had no log book for it yet!
How much did you pay and when?
From the same guy, Dan.

No he didnt tell me. Not bothered either! my log book took ages, around 6 weeks. he forgot to give me the mot aswell and only got that after 3 phone calls asking if he could look for it.

Bought it the last week in April, did a trad in with him so difficult to give a REAL price but probably about £5500.

What did you think of him as a trader?

Clio 172 sport
He was a nice enough kid, and seemed like he new what he was doing..i traded my car aswell it was up for £5000 i knocked him down to £4750 and part exed my astra sprot p reg and he knocked off another £500... had to go back because the stero was no good also just had to buy a new center section for exhuast, fall apart, other than that its fine, might phone DVLA to see if they have recieved the log book.....he seemed a genuine bloke though....
Yeah that was him.....did he tell you it was an import, and i have had it now for 4 weeks and had no log book for it yet!
How much did you pay and when?

No he didnt tell me. Not bothered either! my log book took ages, around 6 weeks. he forgot to give me the mot aswell and only got that after 3 phone calls asking if he could look for it.

Bought it the last week in April, did a trad in with him so difficult to give a REAL price but probably about £5500.

What did you think of him as a trader?

172 Race Car
yea my exhaust lasted about 5 mins, stealthed up now tho;)

He did know his onions, took a mate with me whos had a 182 for about a year so knows the score and he said he was spot on with his knowlege.
Apart from the advice 'I wouldn't change the cambelt till 72k personaly, doesnt need doing just coz its five years old'

Did mine anyway, too many horror stories on here. didnt want to take the risk for the sake of £200 worth of parts and a few hours in my spare time

Yours been done?

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
TBH I prefer my import to my mates, my alarm is better (as it makes a noise) the light is in a better place and can be moved. And bar that... it was cheaper

FF Blackgold 182
I don't really see a problem with them myself. That Dan bloke seemed genuine, even if he did take a while with the log book and mot certificate!:coffee:

172 Race Car
its not a turbo jap thing that you cant get parts for. the two cars came off the same production line! only difference being someone fitted an alarm at the docks instead of at an alarm centre. I really dont see why it matters

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
I got an import paid £4,800 and with a cambelt and oil and filter it worked out £4,950 for an 02 plate on 30K. Your deal sounds fine to me.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Dam right i would join, i cant see a problem to be honest its the same car for the same factory, just it was meant to go to somewhere else. Some people who get internet deals on here where do you think the car come from because most are not UK cars.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

insurance dont like them, harder to sell.........

If there were two identical cars.... one import, one UK, it would be the UK one every time for me :)

Rubbish . Imports as in European spec imports cost exactly the same as UK cars to insure . I'm on my second import . I think your getting confused with grey imports such as from Japan where the specs are different i.e. usually not undersealed and no rear foglights as in the Eunos roadsters .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

This is correct, as once out of warranty what does it matter:S

Up to 3 years old you miss out on full AA cover etc, but it's no big issue.

Anyway they are all built in france so all are imports ;)

Depending where the car was intended for you still get imports with full 3 year warranty and full 3 year AA assistance cover , like i have ;)

Clio 172 sport
I have started something havent i....... no not had it done yet fancy doin mine? ha ha will get in done in the next couple of months though......yeah that dan told me 72K too......he did know his stuff though....by the way had my log book yesturday when i got in from work.......

yea my exhaust lasted about 5 mins, stealthed up now tho;)

He did know his onions, took a mate with me whos had a 182 for about a year so knows the score and he said he was spot on with his knowlege.
Apart from the advice 'I wouldn't change the cambelt till 72k personaly, doesnt need doing just coz its five years old'

Did mine anyway, too many horror stories on here. didnt want to take the risk for the sake of £200 worth of parts and a few hours in my spare time

Yours been done?

VaVa
Imports WILL sell for less a lot of the time - Go and trade it in and see what they say. There is a difference. You most likely bought it for less, so you'll get less for it when you sell it. Not rocket science.

Who is this Renaultsport dealer in Lichfield?

Clio 172 sport
His name was dan......sound guy....cand remember the company name of my head, DS something....
Imports WILL sell for less a lot of the time - Go and trade it in and see what they say. There is a difference. You most likely bought it for less, so you'll get less for it when you sell it. Not rocket science.

Who is this Renaultsport dealer in Lichfield?