ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Have I bought a dog of a 182?

182 FF
Disheartened to say the least.
Bought a 182 today and drove home on motorway for 3hrs without incident.
Got home, had a cuppa and went to drive to a friend to show it off.
However, went to start it and the section that displays the mileage was flashing 'Oil' and the serv light stayed on after starting. Switched off straight away and went back indoors :-(
What's going on guys?
Too dark to check oil levels right now.
(Car just had belts and dephaser done also)
ta

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Take a torch and check it, never mind the dark.

You're too vague with the details of it. It could be the pressure switch or it could be that there is no oil in it.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Would say no oil as oil warnings only really come on when damage has already been caused (some engine wear) did you not check the oil before handing over your money? Oil can tell you ALOT about a car!

RB 182 FF
Don't panic just yet! You'll get used to all sorts of warning lights owning a 182! I've had a few over time but I know for a fact my car is always spot on as I am meticulous with maintenance! Hopefully it's a quick top up or pressure switch issue. :)

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Would say no oil as oil warnings only really come on when damage has already been caused (some engine wear) did you not check the oil before handing over your money? Oil can tell you ALOT about a car!

Kinda defeats the object of the warning light, doesn't it? I'm not sure that's strictly true.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Kinda defeats the object of the warning light, doesn't it? I'm not sure that's strictly true.

9 times out of 10, if the oil light comes on, it's completely out of oil and the damage is all ready underway.

Oil is the first thing I check when looking at a car!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
The car was full of oil this morning and it was last changed less than a month ago. I bet if you try again it will be fine.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
9 times out of 10, if the oil light comes on, it's completely out of oil and the damage is all ready underway.

Oil is the first thing I check when looking at a car!

I've got my 172 on the drive but can't remember - does it say oil ok when you start it up? That's not what we're talking about here though is it?

182 FF
I'll be out and checking the dipstick in the morning!
Just worried a bit when I saw it.
Is it unusual that no warnings came on during a 3hr motorway run, but appeared an hour after I had got home?
Obviously got a lot to learn about these cars 'querks' but am surprised that if it does turn out to be low oil that it didn't show up while driving.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've got my 172 on the drive but can't remember - does it say oil ok when you start it up? That's not what we're talking about here though is it?

No mate, I'm talking about the actual warning light that comes on due to low/no oil or oil pressure.

182 FF

No, where it should say 'oil ok' it simply flashes 'oil'
Funny thing is, I stopped at a garage 5 minutes before I got home and when it started then it showed 'oil ok'
What could have changed between then and now?

Endless amount of possibilities.

Not 100% and knowing what work etc has gone into said car. I would be looking towards the pressure switch?

182 FF
Dipstick virtually dry. What does register is just below the bottom notch on the stick.
Surely not normal if all ok this morning?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
assume it's been left 10 minutes since the engine was ran?

182 FF
Car on flat ground. Last run an hour ago. Didn't notice any smoke out the back earlier.
Will fill to level tomorrow then I guess it's a trip to my tame mechanic.
Very disappointed :-(

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member

B21E47D4-0A00-4088-805B-A32413DD6C54-2943-0000024D84D8502E_zps03620fd5.jpg

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Is there a MASSIVE patch of oil on your drive mate? Look at the engine is it plastered in oil from a gasket if not somethings gone very wrong for you!