ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Have I bought a dog of a 182?

Mondeo TDCI 130
I look after a cup that must burn a bit, I don't see it very often, every 6 months say. But every time I see it I have to put oil in the bugger.

the bloke just drives it, saying that it's possibly the fastest cup I have ever been in.

As said, put a bit in it, don't go mad putting 4 litres in, put a litre in on the level and wait a few mins before dipping. Repeat until at max mark.

you didn't hit anything on the road coming home? Brick or such like?

Many.
Everybody here is saying about 4/5 litres, theres only a litre between min and max on the dip stick, so its most likely only lost half a litre, assume it used/leaked a bit to get to the min before purchase.

Funny thread though.

182 FF
Ok, a little update.
No oil under the car.
No oil evident in engine bay.
No oil in expansion tank.
No mayonnaise under oil filler cap.
Will go and buy some oil shortly and update again...

Nissan sunny gtir
It sounds to me you have bought a clio 182 that needs the oil level topped up and that's it. Just top it up and use it and keep checking it. If it had lost 4-5 litres driving it home it would of been going down the motorway like a red arrow (smoke everywhere). Stop worrying, the sun is out now go give it a blast down the road :rasp: (after topping up the oil first obviously)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
It sounds to me you have bought a clio 182 that needs the oil level topped up and that's it. Just top it up and use it and keep checking it. If it had lost 4-5 litres driving it home it would of been going down the motorway like a red arrow (smoke everywhere). Stop worrying, the sun is out now go give it a blast down the road :rasp: (after topping up the oil first obviously)

This. Top it up, go drive it and come back with a huge smile like i did in it friday night!

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
My 182 broke down on me on the first day, so I know your pain/frustration. Ended up being the coolant sensor being faulty, so was cutting engine out to try and protect it. Also, you do get the mustard gunk on cars not being driven in decent journeys as well, so isn't always the head gasket which ppl sometimes presume. Fill her up with some oil and then go hit 6000rpm ; )

320d
Both of my 1*2's used a little oil. Probably put about a litre in my 182 every 6000 miles. I'd put some oil in and not worry too much. Worse case scenario engines are cheap these days for the 182's.

Don't put 4 litres in!!! The dipstick only measures the first litre of oil anyway. If it's still registering on that then it only needs 1 litre or less.

RB 182 FF
The oil is only just wetting the very bottom of the dipstick from what OP said last night so I bet it's a lot more than 1 litre needed...... let's wait and see......

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
OP must have really been panicking. It's been 14 hours since he posted the problem up and still we don't know how much oil it needed.

If that was me, I'd have gone and got some oil at the first opportunity. Even paid double down at the local 24 hour shell garage.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't the oil warning light mean it has low oil pressure? I didn't think that had anything to do with oil level as such...although low oil can obviously cause the low pressure.

FF Clio 182
My 182 engine blew up on me within the first month of owning it, s**t happens. Doesn't Renault spec say using a litre of oil within 1000 miles is within tolerances ?

WRX
I hope it's not just because it has fresh, clean oil in and the OP has panicked, after seeing the dark bulb on the bottom of the dipstick.

Edit: just re-read and no it's not.

Last edited:

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't the oil warning light mean it has low oil pressure? I didn't think that had anything to do with oil level as such...although low oil can obviously cause the low pressure.

Correct.

but older Renault cars (not sure on the new ones) have this stupid oil level check system on start up which is wrong 90% of the time.

Lesson on to the OP - always check your oil via the dipstick! Don't rely on drench electrics to give you an accurate reading

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
After reading this i checked my oil for the first time in a few weeks and it was f**king low!

Thanks again CS

182 FF
So, got some oil and topped up a total of about 1.5 litres.
All seems well again, but I'll be checking the level every day for the next week or so until my paranoia recedes a little.
What else have I been doing (apart from driving it). Spent two hours cleaning the inside of the back window as it was covered in some sticky crap. Was really tacky and held fluff from the cloth when wiped. Two hours of liberal WD40 and a stanley blade had it all lovely and sparkling.
Next, had a look at the front fog issue. Found an unplugged connector under the front left and reconnected. One fog now works so chances are the other needs a bulb. Still need to sort out the non working horn and the boot that won't lock but that's a job for tomorrow.
Investigation needed to a 'bang' when lifting off the gas. Sounds and feels like something hitting on the bottom of the rear floor pan so may just be movement in the exhaust. Will get it on a ramp and see what I can see.
Aircon needs attention as it's not really cold at all, will try a regas and take it from there.
Used the handy guide on here to get my window on one touch opening & closing. That was satisfying :)
What else? Oh yeah, it's FUN to drive. Liking the kick in power at around 5.3k revs. A bit of torque steer but nowhere near as strong as an old Fiat Coupe 20VT I used to run.
Thats it for now I think.
Thanks to all for their input
Muchael

RB 182 FF
That's great news for you glad it seems all ok! I guess it's a lesson to anyone that weekly oil checks aren't really hard graft and can save a lot of worry! Enjoy ur new car mate they're great fun! :D

GTD, Lupo
Just to give a good reference of usage from the top notch on the dip stick to the bottom notch is APPROX 1 litre. Keep an eye on it.

PB Clio 172
this thread is really funny from start to end

lesson here chaps- check your oil via the start up! not your dipstick ! oh and not when warm or on a steep hill ;)

or in the dark lol

Audi A5
this thread is really funny from start to end

lesson here chaps- check your oil via the start up! not your dipstick ! oh and not when warm or on a steep hill ;)

or in the dark lol

come again? Manally checking via the dip stick is the best way.

Everybody here is saying about 4/5 litres, theres only a litre between min and max on the dip stick, so its most likely only lost half a litre, assume it used/leaked a bit to get to the min before purchase.

Funny thread though.

Thank you. Was just about to post this.

To start with, just top it up to the max and see how you get on.

182 FF
What did you do to your window?
Found it on one of the threads on this forum.
Engine running, wind drivers window right down and hold the button for at least a further two seconds. Wind it all the way up and keep holding button for at least another two seconds again. Repeat once more downward and lo and behold, one touch window opening activated.
Sit back and feel pleased with yourself :)

Found it on one of the threads on this forum.
Engine running, wind drivers window right down and hold the button for at least a further two seconds. Wind it all the way up and keep holding button for at least another two seconds again. Repeat once more downward and lo and behold, one touch window opening activated.
Sit back and feel pleased with yourself :)

Does this work on the passenger window too?