ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Have I bought a dog of a 182?

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
It won't be a head gasket. Dry dipstick = little/no oil. Put oil in it.

RB 182 FF
Just to clarify do we know there was sufficient oil in the engine before the 3hr trip today?! Because you can't possibly have no signs of losing 4+ litres of oil............. Head gaskets aren't normally an issue with this engine...!

182 FF
Just to clarify do we know there was sufficient oil in the engine before the 3hr trip today?! Because you can't possibly have no signs of losing 4+ litres of oil............. Head gaskets aren't normally an issue with this engine...!
Level was fine earlier today. Maybe there's a leak and it dropped all the oil over the course of my 3hr trip down the motorway. Doubt anyone would have noticed anything at the time.
Further investigation tomorrow...
Incidently, 5W40? (semi or full synth?)

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Sbridgey said it was full? Ive never know a car lose oil like that and headgasket be fine
put oil init take it for a drive check it again and see hope that sorts it mate

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
The car has been run for 2/3 weeks solid with no oil loss, its strange that its dropped so much after you took it home :S

I would be massivley suprised if the head gaskt had gone as that much oil won't mix with the water. There will be a leak somewhere or its burning the oil via breather or piston rings imo.

RB 182 FF
If I were you I'd have a look around the car tomorrow and see if anything is up, if nothing obvious drain the engine and buy 5 litres Fully Synth 5w40 and do an oil change, filter as well if possible...

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
To spit out that much oil you would notice on his drive or where you picked it up from if you pour 4ltrs of oil on the floor thats a mighty mess its loads would be one hell of a leak put it that way semi on oil mate

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Sbridgey said it was full? Ive never know a car lose oil like that and headgasket be fine
put oil init take it for a drive check it again and see hope that sorts it mate
Have you seen many 1*2 Clios with head gasket failure?

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
I would be massivley suprised if the head gaskt had gone as that much oil won't mix with the water. There will be a leak somewhere or its burning the oil via breather or piston rings imo.

Would that not be a smoke machine thow mate dont think I would like to drive behind it any way

RB 182 FF
If it helps Muckyman I've seen an elderly guy catch his Golf V6 4motion sump on a speed hump, completely crack it and lose every bit of oil out of it and driven 26 miles like it before asking for some help after pulling up in my place of work. Later that week he contacted to say he's had a new sump and all is well!! So you might be ok with any luck! :)

182 FF
Incidently, although I'll fill a bit, check dipstick, fill a bit more, check etc etc, how many litres do you reckon it'll swallow up?

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
If it helps Muckyman I've seen an elderly guy catch his Golf V6 4motion sump on a speed hump, completely crack it and lose every bit of oil out of it and driven 26 miles like it before asking for some help after pulling up in my place of work. Later that week he contacted to say he's had a new sump and all is well!! So you might be ok with any luck! :)
Wow he was jolly lucky I would say

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Must have been something that's happened on the way home. The op although I don't know him personally, would trust him selling me a car. These things happen I guess, that's why I hate selling cars (need a change of career lol)

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Must have been something that's happened on the way home. The op although I don't know him personally, would trust him selling me a car. These things happen I guess, that's why I hate selling cars (need a change of career lol)
This he's on the forum alot from what I can tell not worth him selling a dog but what can happen to use so much oil look forword to you finding out the answer

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
This he's on the forum alot from what I can tell not worth him selling a dog but what can happen to use so much oil look forword to you finding out the answer

Took me a couple of times to read that. Get some oil in, check it etc. and maybe take a trip to a local garage for them to have a nose.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I once had a car that kept dumping oil into the airfilter might be worth a check.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Simon is sound to be fair to him. Known him for a fair few years.

If Mick does the servicing...then that should be f**k all to worry about as Mick knows his stuff and I've known him for a fair few years too. :)

But to the OP. Top it up with oil, start it (provided the oil you just put in hasn't fallen straight out the bottom) and run it without driving it. Give it 10 minutes and keep checking underneath, see if oil is leaking

See if there is oil spots on the back of the car, this is a pretty good indication of it leaking or dumping it out the engine. If the back of the car is sooty it could have burnt it.