ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head fubarred??

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
So after having some running problems and knocking noise from the head I thought it was time to strip it...
First of all I assumed dephasr and carried on driving as the noise varied with acceleration but it wasn't until I lost oil pressure going round some round abouts that a noticeable constant knocking appeared! Dipped the clutch and then the engine died!
I've had the head off and found the following...
Some swarf damage...
1BE396AE-CF36-4086-AEC6-3187BC738010.gif

More head surface...
7611A1B1-1B6E-4A38-8B71-FE2B6CB7CCED.gif

After this sort of damage I assume the head is beyond repair/unusable?
Yet to remove the sump....

Also, is this standard inlet finishing?
1132A66E-EE38-4480-B63E-2BC706F5A7E3.gif

73CFBD23-5750-4305-9874-0ADB43A0E06F.gif

Last edited:

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Exactly how mine went mate, used to tick like mad and I thought it was the dephaser. However turned out to be scored exactly like that

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
Lesson learnt for me to keep a closer eye on the oil levels and go easy round the roundabouts!
Joke is, I have a turbo block in the making and its my daily so deciding to hold this off the road and finish the turbo build or just suck it up and get a new head to keep it on the road… decisions decisions…!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Stick up a wanted thread in the wanted section mate, you'll have one within a few hours

Cup In bits
IMO if its only to get you by untill the turbo build, flatten back that cam journal and polish it up. If the cams are alright then just put it back together with an oil change and make sure you top up oil levels in the future.