ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head gasket blown on my 5 GTT

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
RTOC is not working so want to rant on here lol,

Dont think it liked being held open in top gear for long as the head gasket went,
Any owners here recommend any up-rated gaskets. Cars running approx 180bhp at 19psi?
Is gsf's up-rated gasket any good?

Started strippin her down but only had an hour so will finish her after work 2mo...

Be sure to address the issue of why it blew before rebuilding it.

Get the fuelling checked out, it may be running lean top end. Uprated gasket is not needed tbh as the record breaking 1/4 mile time was done on the OE gasket LOL.

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
Jus had it set up, running slightly rich if anything, that was my first thought. OE gasket heard they were rubbish but ill take that on board thanks for that dude.

Did you set the fuelling up accurately with a lambda proper and fuelling ratio meter on a rolling road.

BTW I'd not run full boost in top for long periods

Whats the jetting on the carb, i.e main, air corrector and 1st and 2nd stage enrichment?

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
its got a wideband lamba and my mates got a wideband innovate gauge that reads the air/fuel ratio. set it up on tick over then took it out on road a few times and adjusted accordingly, mmmm it was on full boost for a while, think ill turn it down to 15psi, and leave it as im going to do some track days in her! Cant for the life of me remember what he said the main jet size was etc,think some reserach is in order,the carb is off anyway so ill look 2mo

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
where abouts in derby you from mate?
you happen to work at RR?!

Did you do any drill out of jets whilst setting up. Its common to leave a tiny amount of swarf in that can cause problems, granted these normally affect fuelling throughout the rev range, so if it was running sweetly then maybe its something else.

Try an uprated jobbie and see how it goes. Might be worth taking it to a rolling road, see how that goes.

Europarts are around your area.

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
few things to look into then, cheers fred. i nearly came down your place and spent the money on coilovers for my cup but the 5 came along at the right price,

Pepsi,no mate you asked me this before, im network rail on london road, ive just moved up to ilkeston.

No drilling out nope, but he had just overhauled the carb but i had it a week and it had a blocked idle valve but messed about with mixture so went back round to set it up. Ran mint up until i gave it too much for too long which seems to be my theory now you mentioned it. just testing it ready for its first track session... too much abuse

Last edited:
Yeah take the carb apart and give is a good clean out with some compressed air, just to eliminate that problem, wont do any harm anyway.

By the way, what intercooler are you using?

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
yeah will do, sierra cossie intercooler mate, front monted. Turbo is a T25 with t28 compressor running max 19psi, but can turn down to 15 with the in car bleed

Sounds a fairly good spec for 180bhp. Can't see any real reasons for it blowing except maybe full chat in 5th its running lean on top out WOT.

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
other stuff bin done ie polished ported head, piper cam,uprated valve springs lightened/balanced fly ktec side exit zorst which looks vertually straight through andis loud as etc etc. 180bhp thats a rough figure but its stripped out as well and it absolutley pisses on my cup on 15psi put it that way!

So it should be, and side exit and 285 cam plus a large exhaust turbine housing = ear buggering loud LOL.

Its amazing the difference a cam makes to the dB actually lol. Got any pics of it, btw I'm on RTOC same name on there as well.

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
Only this one
Ill get some more 2mo. Standard exterior, stripped out completly inside inc dash. Just a make shift centre console. Purley performance! Just needs a rollcage.

Attachments

• Renault 5 GT Turbo.JPG
    Renault 5 GT Turbo.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 82