ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heard it was illegal for speedo's to under read?

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
I've been told if you have tires that are wider than what was fitted as standard it'll make your cars speedo under read depending on how wide they are? So is it true that the standard tires on a clio are 185/55/r15 and the tires i got fitted at national tyres are 195/55/r15 make my speedo under read slightly therefore they are illegal???

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Being wider doesn't necessarily make the speedo over/under read. It's the middle number.

R15

This means that the tyre is 195mm wide
the sidewall height is 55% of the width
on a 15 inch rim.

When you make the tyre wider, you have to compensate by lowering the percentage sidewall height, or profile.

A 195/55/R15 isn't actually that far out, and a 195/50/R15 is about the same amount out in the other direction, so I'd be tempted to say leave it. If anything it'll make your speedo more accurate since they slightly overread in the first place.

Capture.JPG

0.6 mph extra per every 30mph shouldn't have too much effect, other than raise the car 9mm :)

I'm sure National Tyres would've had the sense to fit 195/50/15 as they are a specified tyre in the clio manual, so therefore wouldn't be 'illegal'.

The police surely can not penalise you for doing so.

clio 172
Would it be a MOT failure?
no as they woudnt test it...just be a visual cheek to make sure it works if anything and if they did fail it coz of diffident size wheels {as long as they wasnt outside the body} i would tell them where to stick the MOT and take somewhere else

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Directly, no. Indirectly, yes the width will have an affect on the rolling radius.

You should have reduced the profile size when increasing the width

Passat
Capture.JPG

0.6 mph extra per every 30mph shouldn't have too much effect, other than raise the car 9mm :)

I'm sure National Tyres would've had the sense to fit 195/50/15 as they are a specified tyre in the clio manual, so therefore wouldn't be 'illegal'.

Ahh, so the sidewall is a percentage of the width - which will of course change the circumference. I was just about to berate anyone who argued there would be a difference in speed - but yes, there would be a small difference. Interesting.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Would it be a MOT failure?

Roy is trolling. 185s are almost the same diameter as 195s, thus the practically the same reading will be obtained by the speedometer. It will not fail an MOT.

p.s. McGherkin has the best explanation.

Last edited:
  Clio 1.2 Extreme.
Capture.JPG

Ahhh so bascially 60mph will actually be 61.2mph? That's alright then as speed camera's have tolerances of more than that! Thank you mate!

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
no as they woudnt test it...just be a visual cheek to make sure it works if anything and if they did fail it coz of diffident size wheels {as long as they wasnt outside the body} i would tell them where to stick the MOT and take somewhere else
Okay well thank you bud 10mm wouldn't make it wider than the arches anyway!

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
Being wider doesn't necessarily make the speedo over/under read. It's the middle number.

R15

This means that the tyre is 195mm wide
the sidewall height is 55% of the width
on a 15 inch rim.

When you make the tyre wider, you have to compensate by lowering the percentage sidewall height, or profile.

A 195/55/R15 isn't actually that far out, and a 195/50/R15 is about the same amount out in the other direction, so I'd be tempted to say leave it. If anything it'll make your speedo more accurate since they slightly overread in the first place.
Rather good anwser like always cheers man very well explained

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
They are just he normal 182 Xenon's ones. Its the optic section your seeing I think :)
Ahhh yeah looks like it! know anywhere where i can get the angel lights that have the 3 sidelights on each side?? I saw one once at night time and honest to god it looks mad!

Clio 1.2 2.3 2004
Mine is out by 10% ish :/ haha
But my revs is still the same and I'm going slower :(

Clio 1.2 2.3 2004
Basically I'm still doing 70mph it feels and looks normal and the same revs

But on my sat nav it says I'm doing 60mph so iv lost 10mph think coz my tyres

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
Basically I'm still doing 70mph it feels and looks normal and the same revs

But on my sat nav it says I'm doing 60mph so iv lost 10mph think coz my tyres
Sat navs are always different mate, in the work van, my car, mums car, step dads car the speed on the sat nav says around 10mph slower the greater the difference and higher speeds. I know its something to do with the car says its speed by how fast wheels moving while, sat nav does it in a more mathematical way! What tyres you got anyway?

Correction, not actually 10mph but like 5!

Last edited:
  Clio 1.2 2.3 2004
Sat navs are always different mate, in the work van, my car, mums car, step dads car the speed on the sat nav says around 10mph slower the greater the difference and higher speeds. I know its something to do with the car says its speed by how fast wheels moving while, sat nav does it in a more mathematical way! What tyres you got anyway?

Correction, not actually 10mph but like 5!

Iv got 165/50/15
I had 195/50/15 before
My wheels are 7j so they are stretched that's probably why.