ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heater Stopped Working

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Hello All,

I know this topic has probably been covered 1000 times but I figured I would post my results.

My heater fans were on the blink when I collected the car in February. They would intermittently work and then suddenly die, always when starting the car up from cold. The lights on the Climate Control Unit still work and I know the heating still works as when cruising on the motorway, I get a draft of warm air (not engine warmth).
A few months back, it finally died.

I immediately jumped at Heater Resistor Pack. This seems to be very common on most models of cars, no matter the make. EurocarParts £40, done.......Still no hot.

Now I am thinking its the heater motor itself. This, based on some research, seems to be more likely. Has anyone had this issue?

I will remove the heater motor and inspect it when I get some time.........

Iceberg PH1 172
Secondhand blower would probably fix it. I did same in my phase one, jumped at resistor pack and turned put to be blower motor. There's a few diff blower motor versions so be sure which you need.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Test the resister to confirm bridge the 1st and 4th on the resister conector if it dont blow at full pelt the blower it self is duff

Lost the fans on my car yesterday, never had a problem with them before, just doing a bit of research I see this is the latest thread, will do the test for the bridge tomorrow and see what I get.

Also seeing the "cheap" resistor packs off ebay are not recommended? what about a repair place? I recently had my UCH repaired which touch wood seems ok. any recommendations for a safe resistor pack at a reasonable price? or a repair place?

Thanks.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ah okay. Unless someone knows of a reputable part I'd be sceptical about buying cheap.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
@cs_dave how do you go about testing it? Cant say electics are my strong point. Im also assuming ill need a multimeter too??? Being crimbo I probably wont get around to testing stuff myself!

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
@guysy I have a brand new resistor pack from euro car parts. Forget the brand. I tried it in my clio and it still didnt work so that might be going spare if you are up for that!

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
@cs_dave how do you go about testing it? Cant say electics are my strong point. Im also assuming ill need a multimeter too??? Being crimbo I probably wont get around to testing stuff myself!
On the plug on the resister theres 4 wires going to it bridge 1 and 4 and if the blowers stay on full power you wont be able to turn them down its the resister at fault

Well Boxing Day decided to bring me a flat tyre as well !

Just bridged mine, my terminals where 1 and 5, and I got full fans.

Will order the febi part now to keep me going, I'm seeing you can order the transistors (if that's the correct term) on eBay for a fiver from France - so I might see if I can get my old one going as a backup.

5ae0c2b787c716c42301428423267e36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Right so the mosfet part came before the replacement heater pack.

Decided to see how easy it would be and if the fix would work.

The new chip was much smaller than the original including the legs. My soldering iron was s**t as well. But eventually I had the chip soldered on- used some thermal paste against the heat sink.

I now have fans - but even with the panel off, the fans go up and down but just not off, possible there is something wrong with the rest of the board, Any suggestions ?

Either way it's nice to have some fans now, I will see if the new pack cures everything or not.

bffd7065b5c18046af91a13cba43783e.jpg

I did clean the pads up before putting the new chip on.

f39dcb916cd96ef0a89cfb76d609b36e.jpg

e4749fbe65a2a914f0e5fe0d40e8c1fa.jpg

Sat in place nicely on the heatsink with the clip...

(I broke the old legs off the transistor I know it's a massive bodge but I wasn't going to get all 3 out with my pissy iron, I removed them one by one)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I finally got round to fixing mine the other day! HOUSTON, WE HAVE FANS!

Turns out mine was the heater motor itself. Hence the slow death of the fans before. Second hand heater from eBay and all sorted!