ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hello - FF 172 - Sprint & hillclimb car

L200
Hi All

I've been lurking on here for a while so thought I'd say hello.

I've just bought an 02 Clio Sport - the car will be used in sprints and hillclimbs in the Welsh Championship in the Standard Production car class (standard means no modifications apart from safety!). I was looking for a Cup but couldn't find one in time. I'm rebuilding a 1960s Lotus 26R (lightweight Elan) but that is taking forever so bought the Clio to get me competing.

I bought the car off ebay last week and picked it up very late on Wednesday night.

I had a couple of small jobs to do like change the hazard switch and fit a timing strut on the front.

On Saturday I competed for the first time in it at Llandow - it went pretty well but I broke a wheel trying to straight line the chicanes too much! Grip was a problem as the tyres aren't brilliant - new set about to be ordered!

Sunday was a hillclimb in Llys y Fran in West Wales - I was a bit nervous as I only had the four wheels on the car but all went well and I won the class :) but slightly damaged another wheel - some friends spectating think that on the hairpin, the tyre wall is deflecting enough to allow the rim to dig into the tarmac!

Next event is in a few weeks and I want to put a cage in before that but struggling to find somebody with a 6 or 10 point cage in stock! I've got a proper competition seat and OMP base and a harness to go in too.

The car has been running on 17" Dezent Motion Black alloys (3 for sale!) but it's going onto 16" rims - we're just machining out the centre of a set of Ro*er wheels to use for now as they are strong and light and have the correct PCD and offset. And were cheap! I've also got new discs and pads for the back (needs a wheel bearing) and pads for the front. I'll start looking at bushes and stuff up front when the priority jobs are done.

Welsh Championship venues are here btw -
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=202160234986779774435.00043d61fdf8f06b45ae6&t=h&z=7

The car's a little hoot to drive!
Regards

Wyn

L200
IMG_2703.jpg

Not the best photo!