ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hello from a Troubled and nearly dead Clio 172 Newbie!

172 Clio
I've owned a 172 02 plated Clio sport now for 2 months, great little car and love it, although have had a few intermitant issues, engine management light coming on and going off, car hesitating now and again, usually shortly after starting it when it been parked up for a while, today it tried to kill me, was driving on local roads, pushing it a little bit in second and the throttle decided to stick on fully open, release pedal and the pedal returned but the car was bouncing off the rev limiter, I was able to turn the ignotion off and coast to a hault, I left the car a few mins but now the car will only start and bounce straight off the rev limiter which I obviously kil the engine as soon as it start to get close everytime, anyone got any idea's what this could be and what I need to do to fix it, anybody had this issue before, it was a fairly scary moment there as I was approaching a bridge at the time, thankfully I'm alive to tell the tale.

I'm thinking throttle body stuck open or pedal potentiometer fail, any help on what and how to fix this would be greatly recieved, first car I've owned that's tried to kill me, usually it's the other way around ;0)

172 Clio
Thank for the reply Addicted, was thinking it had to be one or the other but as for checking, what's the best way of going about it, I've really not spent anytime under the bonnet at all, any help or images or suggestions will be greatly recieved, I think at present JD tonight is what is needed, Clio can wait till the morning.

Last edited:
  172 Clio
Ok I've checked the TB and it's closed, it seem to open and close manually ok but when I start the engine in revs out and is not opening, turning engine off quickly it seems to try and move but doesn't of that makes sense, I've removed it completely and am going to clean it but is this now pointing me to the fly be wire accelerator failing, I was expecting to find the TB fully open?

172 Clio
Sounds like stuck throttle body as you say, pretty easy to check it quickly as well :)

Ok I've checked the TB and it's closed, it seem to open and close manually ok but when I start the engine in revs out and is not opening, turning engine off quickly it seems to try and move but doesn't of that makes sense, I've removed it completely and am going to clean it but is this now pointing me to the fly be wire accelerator failing, I was expecting to find the TB fully open?

Anyone got any idea's or should I just purchase both TB and Pedal from that auction site and chance my luck, I really am a bit stuck for idea's as I was expecting to see the TB stuck open??

197ff, 172
Hi you would be better off posting in the technical section. The ph2 clios have an electric throttle so it could be something to do with that. If you sign up as a paid member you will get access to the parts for sale section there's lots of clios getting broken, it's saved me way more than the membership fee.

172 Clio
Thanks guy's, yeah it was a bit of a Hello and Help introduction, I've narrowed it down to Pedal and TB so will try and post in the Technical area.