ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hello, Newbie From Southampton

Clio Sport Cup 172
Just a quick post to say Hi.

My name is Jules (I'm a Bloke) I have just bought a Clio 172 Cup Sport. I bought the car with the intention of entering it into the Road Going Series Production class at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb next season. I have been competing at Gurston for about 6 years in an Impreza Type RA, but fancy a crack at the under 2 Litre
RGP class. Meanwhile my wife will use the Clio as a shopping trolley ;)

I know very little about Clio's but am an experianced mechanic (you have to be if you own a Scooby) so will be able to offer help and support back to others in the future. But for now, I need to Learn.

Hoping for some help and support form the members here.

Cheers,

Jules.

Welcome to the joy that is Clio ownership. We are a friendly bunch and have regular meets. Certainly be interesting to support a local member at Gurstaon and sounds interesting to go to a Cup from a Scooby. What plans have you got as we have some weight reduction experts.

Honda Civic
Welcome Jules.

I've only just joined the forum myself. I'm buying a 172 early next year to use as a track car, but it'll still be used on the road occasionally. K-Tec Racing aren't too far from you, they're over at Verwood, Bournemouth. I'm sure if you took a trip over to see them (or just give them a call) they would be happy to help you out with regards to learning about the Clio. Although I'm sure there's plenty of knowledgeable folk on here :)

Clio Sport Cup 172
Hi,

Thanks for the welcome.

In the RGP class you have to keep the car complete and it must be road legal. There is not much you can do to reduce weight, you can tune the engine, and upgrade the sussy thats about it. This car has a quality exhaust, a cold feed air filter and a stage 2 ECU, surposed to be 200 BHP but I doubt it personaly.

Yes very different to the Scoob, I have not driven the 172 in anger yet, I will need to get on a track day soon as I dont drive hard on the public road. Once on track I can get a good feel for the car.

The main differance between the 172 and the Scoob seems to be that the 172 has brakes.

Seems to be a great little car ;-)

Clio Sport Cup 172
Welcome Jules.

I've only just joined the forum myself. I'm buying a 172 early next year to use as a track car, but it'll still be used on the road occasionally. K-Tec Racing aren't too far from you, they're over at Verwood, Bournemouth. I'm sure if you took a trip over to see them (or just give them a call) they would be happy to help you out with regards to learning about the Clio. Although I'm sure there's plenty of knowledgeable folk on here :)

Hi, Thanks for the welcome ;-)

K-TEC sound interesting, Verwood is pretty local for me.

The car I have is Dan's old car, he used to be on here but I believe he has a Scoob now. I bought the 172 from the dealer that PX'd it for the Scoob. It has excessive vibration in the car, even at Idle, the dealer told me they all have this and it is normal Lol. I notice Dan has posted on here about the vibration in the car but it seems he never got it resolved.

So this is my first job. Car drives well and is tight, but the dash shakes, in fact everything shakes lol :)))

Clio Sport Cup 172
Hi Tom, Thanks for the welcome.

321 BHP, is that for real, Wow.

Dont fancy your front tyre budget :)))

big boost cup
It is for real. vibrations sound a bit excessive if the dash vibrating. is the car standard or been played around with?

Clio Sport Cup 172
Hi Tom,

Yeh it has been played around with. The original seller who sold the car to Dan said that that it had Group N engine mounts, hence the vibration. The top O/S mount looks stock to me, I think the dog bone is the twisted one with poly bushes. I have only had the car a few days so not had a chance to investigate too much. The exhaust is complete after market, stainless system, Dan posted that it was de-catted, the header after the manifold is heat wrapped. So there has been a fair ampunt of light modding going on.

Any further suggestions welcome ;-)

Or if you are local, would you have a quick look maybe, if there is a meet going on, I could bring the car down.

Thanks,

Jules.

ph1 track weapon
For the mounts if they are grp n loosen them all off a bit and then let the car run for 20 mins before tightening again.

Should mean they settle out and the vibration should go away. I had the same issue and that cured it :)

Clio Sport Cup 172
For the mounts if they are grp n loosen them all off a bit and then let the car run for 20 mins before tightening again.

Should mean they settle out and the vibration should go away. I had the same issue and that cured it :)

Hi, Thanks for the tip, I will try that ;-)

I take it there are mounts on the top and the bottom of the engine / gearbox ?

Thanks,

Jules.

big boost cup
One under the battery, other is on the drivers side pretty obvious, and the dogbone it underneath the car if its a powerflex one ith will have two big purple bushes on it. have a look on the guides section as a lot of people do fit them wrong

Clio Sport Cup 172
One under the battery, other is on the drivers side pretty obvious, and the dogbone it underneath the car if its a powerflex one ith will have two big purple bushes on it. have a look on the guides section as a lot of people do fit them wrong

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that. I will investigate further.

Cheers,

Jules.