ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP!! 182 Engine Problems

Rsport182Cup'd
2005 182 Engine.

Rattling on tick over

increase to 1000 revs clattering and knocking??????

Any ideas,

Crank possibly, bent valve?

Regards
Russ:cry:

182,mx-5 mk1,mev sonic 7
i had the exact same problem albeit on a different car thought it was a new engine i needed it turned out to be the waterpump they can squeal like a piggy and they can sound like marbles rattling about in a metal tin.so dont cack your pants just yet theres still hope!

Titanium 182
Waterpump requires cam and aux belt off which you may as well change at the same time so it's no a light descision changing it !

sophiesdad

ClioSport Club Member
  anything i get
water pump doesnt require cam belt off , only aux belt off. could remove the belt and run it see if noise goes away. doesnt sound good though get it checked properly asap ,

Rsport182Cup'd
i also realised that when you put the ignition on it does not auto tell you the oil status.................????????

182,mx-5 mk1,mev sonic 7
i would take covers off where the water pump is and have a look see if the pulley is wobbling about and if theres any leaking no matter how small from that area.no harm in looking try to pin point where noise is coming from first get it up in the air if need be get your head under the bonnet have a good look around.

ITB'd 182...
Dont chuck money at it just yet, get it to a garage/mechanic and get it checked would be my advice

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
FUEL RAIL Guard that chunk of aliminium on the front of the engine. The bolts tend to shear for some reason even though it's only bolted to the engine block, mines come loose twice.

2002 Cup172
my emgine mounts come loose every few weeks but nothin else,

and about a week ago had same sort of noises but at bout 70mph fcuk i thought pulled over stopped checked what i could see in the dark,

thaought had chunks of piston in block or somethin.

turned out aux belt had jumped slightly and torn two ribs off the belt and they were slappin all over engine bay.

my advice if ya dont know about engines just take it to a garage.

it could be simple could not be.

Simple to find out how bad though.

1. does it still drive the same?

2. does the noise go on harder revs?

3. what side of the engine bay?

4. Fluids under car/on road/drive/in engine bay/ on the under engine shields?

5. Any other noises before it went clunky or any new noises.

Rsport182Cup'd
had the stethoscope on today, noise is definitly top end around the central two pistons, i think it is cam followers or hydraulic tapets at this point.