ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP!! H&Rs not fitted right?

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Hi guys,

Had the H&Rs on about a fortnight, then yesterday when reversing out the drive there was some banging from the engine bay and some weird feedback through the steering.

Popped the bonnet and saw that the strut tops don't sit square in the engine bay, and they move oddly when you turn the steering wheel.

Pic 1 - Left strut, steering wheel straight ahead
GetAttachment4.jpg

Pic 2 - Left strut, steering wheel turned full left lock
GetAttachment3.jpg

Pic 3 - Right strut, steering wheel straight ahead
GetAttachment.jpg

Pic 4 - Right strut, steering wheel turned full left lock
GetAttachment2.jpg

Is this normal? If not are solid top mounts the fix?

Basically - help! Don't like driving it when its doing this, can't be doing the car any good.

Owen

ClioSport Admin
If you mean the nut, then yes. Had a garage spanner check them.

Its the angle of the coilover unit, its not at 90 degrees to the ground (i realise it wasn't exactly 90 as standard)

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Not yet, am going to have it properly set up once I have sorted the ride height.

Will I need to get the camber adjusting bolts to sort this do you think?

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
spring sitting wrong in the spring cup might cause this.

edit: ignore that, it's a coilover....

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Cheers for the replys....

Fred - can anything cure it, i.e solid tops mounts etc?

Surely it can't be doing the strut/car any good?

RS RIP
i think you should get your camber + alignement setup , really neccescary after lowering.

when i fitted my H&r set the car was almost undrivable !

I think this is the situation putting some stress on your topmounts there

RS RIP
Not yet, am going to have it properly set up once I have sorted the ride height.

Will I need to get the camber adjusting bolts to sort this do you think?

There are 2 types H&R going around. One has the elongated holes (like mine), with these you do'nt need the camberbolts ; just loosen bolt- set camber- retighten bolt.

With the other type , without the elongated holes you need camberbolts!

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Cheers Franx - I am going to get them pro set up, but thought I might need to 'fix' the top mount problem first....?? Might get them set up and see if it helps

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Hmm, not sure if mine have the adustment or not, will need to whip the wheel off and have a look. Without sounding stupid, which holes are elongated? Is it the two that bolt the coilover to the hub?

RS RIP
Cheers Franx - I am going to get them pro set up, but thought I might need to 'fix' the top mount problem first....?? Might get them set up and see if it helps

when i fitted mine and we backed the car out of the garage you could really hear the tyres squeeling on the tarmac because of the camber that was way off , which means automatically tracking is also way off . This sounds to me like the struts can also put this sress on your topmounts + could well be why they look like that and give the clunking noise

rps13
I had exactly the same problem when i changed my springs??

cut down the bumpstops and it stopped doing it,

do h&r's have external bumpstops?

if the ride is really crashy then you're probably on bumpstops

RS RIP
Hmm, not sure if mine have the adustment or not, will need to whip the wheel off and have a look. Without sounding stupid, which holes are elongated? Is it the two that bolt the coilover to the hub?

Yes, it will be the top one , bottom one is "fixed"/round , you adjust the wheel in or out with the top one.

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Don't know about the bumpstops Alex, but the ride is awesome,.....so much softer than when it was on sportlines

Owen

ClioSport Admin
cheers Franx, didnt notice any difference between the holes when they were in the box tbh.

RS RIP
i think the recommended rideheight is the way they come out the box so you wo'nt be on the bumpstops that way . you can go way lower than how they come out the box.

RS RIP
cheers Franx, didnt notice any difference between the holes when they were in the box tbh.

allright , i've heard the newer ones do'nt come with the elongated holes anymore. Then you'll need camberbolts IF you are going / wanting to change camber. Mind you when going lower, the camber automatically goes more negative because of the angle the struts are sitting

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Cheers Fred.

Shaun - Will upload pics in a mo mate, thanks in advance for the help.

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Shaun, as per our conversation yesterday, heres some pics of the top nuts along with the current position of the top mounts while parked on level ground with wheels pointing dead ahead.

P051108_083401.jpg

P051108_0834.jpg

P051108_083301.jpg

P051108_0833.jpg

Cheers mate.