ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP need advise custom fuel tank.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Hi all
I hope someone can shed some light as i need advise from people regarding the issues i have doing a custom fuel tank.
Here's the tank in question so you can see what i'm talking about.
579C6D8C-513F-4172-9BE2-A90D67218C6C.jpg

So one of my problem i'm facing is to do with the roll over breather (under the filler neck 1st pic) My original plan was to fit it and have the breather pipe cable tie'd underneath the filler pipe all the way to the mocal filler cap in the rear quarter window (just about see it top left) i've managed to find a pic.
D8DA7B86-8C50-4F79-80A5-1CE092710483.jpg

The problem is the mocal flush fit cap isn't a breather type and has a rubber seal so any ideas as to where else it can go or better still a way to get around the non breather cap?, I don't really want to put it through the floor due to the exhaust near by.

Second issue is the tank straps same as the 2nd pic again, I've looked online for a company that's able to custom make them (with rubber) for my measurements but can't seam to find anything apart from bloody truck ones.
So any ideas as to where i can get some made but MUST have the rubber?.

Appreciate Any input thanks.

Last edited:
  R26-Rs
Make the straps yourself. Some aluminium and strips of rubber. If your competing in anything that needs msa regs that won't be allowed either iirc

M3, Cup racer'd 182
No not competing it's a road legal track car, any idea what the technical name of the rubber is?, the only ones i can find is truck ones and the straps are 2"+ wide which is over kill and will look daft.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Still got the breather issue if someone can help please?.
Run it up the diagonal bar on the cage and then send it out via the bootlid. It's important to get the height on it otherwise the breather won't work right as I'm sure your aware. I'm not keen on those style of breathers either tbh. I had one and the ball kept staying up closing the vent and pressurising the fuel tank!

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Thanks for the input mark and a good point never thought about it going to the boot lid to be honest, ah damn that's not good i'll have to keep a eye on that breather then, not sure if it's makes any diffrence but i've seen two types of breather with a spring inside and without. Mine is without from ATL.

Was yours without too? I've been looking at a one way valve as i don't want the breather open giving fuel vapours off so if parked in the garage will stink it out, did you have one of those too?.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Mine was the non spring type mate. It was almost like it went up when you hit a bump and then the pressure/vapours in the tank held it there!
There used to be one available that would would open itself at a certain mb of pressure, but that was just pressure relief rather than roll over protection.

What size is the one you've got? Looks -6 in the pics? You can get some bigger ones as well that may be better for a larger volume tank.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Real nice looking setup you had there mate fair play, Yeah it's an-6.
Ok think i might have to go back to the drawing board and contact atl and see if they have anything else that would work as i don't want the tank pressurising up if it's not big enough to cope. Infact maybe i'd be better to take the ball bearing out and fit a inline one way breather valve instead?.
Would you agree?.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah that would be fine i would think. The problem you've got is the one way vent valve will allow fuel out in the event of a roll over.

I'd get in touch with atl and see what they recommend mate tbh. I bought the 3L collector pot with trap doors in that they do for my tank and they were genuinely interested by what I was doing. Clearly bored of seeing these mickey mouse f1 fuel tanks and systems. Lol

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Wow, trap doors no wonder why there more intreasted in what your plan is than the crap they sell for Motorsport use.
Yeah I'll get in touch with atl in the morning and see what they recommend, secretly hoping that it's not a ridiculously expensive part as this setup has cost me just under £1500 already and yet another bloody problem. :weary: Haha.