ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! Rear Pads won't Fit MOT later!!

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Help :(

I thought it would be dead easy too.
Replaced rear disc no problem but coming to put the caliper on then the new pads the holes dont mstch up on the caliper to bolt it up.

Its the pad on the outer side, the inner is fine having wound the piston in

Mot at 5 eek!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
The caliper should move on the slider bolts to allow you to get them to line up.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Also make sure the notch on the back of the pads sits in the piston. Will make sense when you look at it

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Well lads I had to cancel the MOT as I couldn't manage to get the Pads on and bolted up :blush:

I tried all the above but it will not budge anymore on the sliders, no idea what the problem been at it for ages but nothing.

This is as close as I get! wound the piston in, slotted in one pad into the groove both pads fitted then no chance bolting it up - I have slid the caliper as much as I could won't budge anymore

Really peed off, no car over easter now

20170414_184202.jpg

Any ideas where I 've gone wrong? I must have fluked the other side.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Yeah that piston doesn't look wound back enough.

Actually, do you have a pic of just the disc. Because even if you wind the calliper back, the disc looks too far outboard to allow the calliper back into position.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Well it won't go back no more lads, screwing it clockwise with a screwdriver whilst doing my best to put pressure on the piston but it just spins and spins.

Bloody useless :cry:

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Well it should be going back anyway, so that's what you need to address.

Is the handbrake off?

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
I always found it easier to put the caliper bolts in first, then the pads. Although I've never tried it with a piston that far extended!

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Handbrake is off, no idea how I did the opposite side.

Grrrrrrrr:down:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
That piston is out miles, are you using a rewind tool on it or anything?

Crack the bleed nipple then try winding it back in.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
That piston is out miles, are you using a rewind tool on it or anything?

Crack the bleed nipple then try winding it back in.
Will give that a go tomorrow but not sure what that will do seeing as I didn't do that on the other side but willing to try anything here as it's driving my nuts now.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The pistons out hell of a long way , as stated by others . Did you wind it out that far yourself ? On the back of the piston is a threaded hole that screws onto a thead bar that operates the handbrake mechanism . If you completely unscrewed it you'll probably struggle to get it to screw back on . You'd be better off taking the whole caliper off and working on it on the bench pulling the handbrake lever as you do and you might get it to screw back on again .

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
The pistons out hell of a long way , as stated by others . Did you wind it out that far yourself ? On the back of the piston is a threaded hole that screws onto a thead bar that operates the handbrake mechanism . If you completely unscrewed it you'll probably struggle to get it to screw back on . You'd be better off taking the whole caliper off and working on it on the bench pulling the handbrake lever as you do and you might get it to screw back on again .

I didn't wind it out much myself - just a bit to make sure it actually moved which it did.

I will crack the bleed nipple tomorrow and go again but other than that I don't know what else is left to do 😧

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
If i was at home this weekend i could have helped, I'm WA5.... Unfortunately I'm away 😞

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
That's perfect. That's what I have. If it's tight. Get a breaker bar in the calliper and a long as f**k ratchet on the rewind tool
I've just realised I can't get to Eurocarparts because... 😞 luckily Machine Mart is a walk away! is that the correct one? noticed they do a left and right hand one.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I've just realised I can't get to Eurocarparts because... 😞 luckily Machine Mart is a walk away! is that the correct one? noticed they do a left and right hand one.

Here's mine. It looks to have a different part number to the one you linked.

I can't imagine Renault changed the handing of the calipers from the 182 to the 197 though

IMG_0465.JPG
IMG_0466.JPG

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
You'll need the right hand one i.e. clockwise.
Even though it state, Suitable for applications with Citroen, Ford and Renault vehicles.

It's a faff this, going to let a Mechanic pull my pants down next time hassle hassle hassle 😧

You can buy that in halfords. It is £32 though, unless you have a trade card.

Jesus, don't want to spend that!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Even though it state, Suitable for applications with Citroen, Ford and Renault vehicles.

It's a faff this, going to let a Mechanic pull my pants down next time hassle hassle hassle 😧

Some Renaults are left hand wind back. Some Meganes and Lagunas i think.