ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! Rear Pads won't Fit MOT later!!

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Me to ? check the disc is fitted correctly, also that the washer is fitted.

Washer is on - just left behind from removing the old disc and I've pushed the Disc on as far as I can ( not tightened it up fully to 175 tho)

Guessing but there isn't a special way to put a Disc on surely!

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Sounds ok then. You should be able to wind it back in also a tip is not to mess with the hand brake mechanism as I popped mine out of position and couldn't get it back together.

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Take it off and start again . The pistons way too far out . Get that wound back in , bolt the pad carrier on first then put the pads in . If the piston is wound in fully you should have no problem getting the pads in . If you can't get the piston back in far enough you'll never get it back together. I always wind the piston in as far as it will go , which is almost flush with the dust cover/ gaitor.
I've just been into my shed a took a pic for you . The caliper on the left is fully wound in , how you want it to get your pads in easily , the one on the right is more or less fully wound out . There's about 1cm difference , and there lies your problem.
20170414_235940.jpg

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Update lads.

Praise the lord, sorted finally thanks to your help :up:

Took all of 10mins once I opened the bleed valve! Why I don't know but it made it dead easy once that was opened.

Thanks chaps, much appreciated :up:

P.s look out for, my how do I tighten my handbrake thread:smile:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
If you've open the bleed valve, you'd now need to do a brake bleed as thee would be air in the system? Correct me if im wrong.

Either way, good news its sorted. Bet your happy now!

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
If you've open the bleed valve, you'd now need to do a brake bleed as thee would be air in the system? Correct me if im wrong.

Either way, good news its sorted. Bet your happy now!

I was happy until you posted this! Please tell me I don't have to bleed the whole system, brakes feel fine.

Handbrake needs adjusting though, getting 7 clicks before it holds the car so going to sort that tomorrow hopefully If I can manage to rip the heatshield off!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I was happy until you posted this! Please tell me I don't have to bleed the whole system, brakes feel fine.

Handbrake needs adjusting though, getting 7 clicks before it holds the car so going to sort that tomorrow hopefully If I can manage to rip the heatshield off!

I'd give the one you cracked a quick bleed to just to be sure.

You'll probably be fine but if it's not too much hassle you may as well

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
You'll be right mate . Once you open the bleed nipple to push the piston back you'll have lost a dribble of brake fluid. I wouldn't bother bleeding myself .

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Might be worth checking & topping up the reservoir though, depending on how much fluid you lost when you wound the piston back in. Can't imagine it would be much though...

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Might be worth checking & topping up the reservoir though, depending on how much fluid you lost when you wound the piston back in. Can't imagine it would be much though...
I doubt he'll have lost hardly anything tbh, but always best to check the reservoir. It's the one behind the engine on the offside, not the powersteering fluid on the nearside...

Also, are you sure you don't have a snapped cable on one side? The handbrake adjustment is easy to do if you dont have a snapped cable though. Get under the car and there's the heatshield above the cat/decat. Undo 4 bolts (soak in oil the night before as i had 2 shear) and then remove this heatshield and you'll see the 2 cables going into an adjuster where there is a simple nut which you wind in/out to change tightness. 13mm long socket is what i used to adjust as easier than using a spanner IMHO.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Brilliant lads cheers.

Brake fluid is like full to the brim still only a few blobs came out the bleed valve.

What a stupid place to put the handbrake adjuster and as for the brake fluid location deary me!

Clio 197
Don't touch the handbrake adjustment , stamp on the brakes a good few times and that should sort it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk