ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP REMOVING COILOVERS

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
Anybody got any tips on removing top nut (21mm) on front coilover strut top with adjustable shox. This means theres no hex key hole in the top to hold the shox from spinning.
Any tips, help or advice appreciated.

I have soaked the top nut with wd4o.

172 cup'd extreme
usually has to be done with an impact wrench, you can buy an electric one from halfords for less than 20 notes

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
usually has to be done with an impact wrench, you can buy an electric one from halfords for less than 20 notes

Cheapest i can find is 125 notes:dapprove: . Might have to put her back together and go down garage to get em freed off.

is it koni shocks?

you should be able to use the 21mm neck spanner and a smaller spanner to hold it in stead of the hex hole

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
is it koni shocks?

you should be able to use the 21mm neck spanner and a smaller spanner to hold it in stead of the hex hole

I don't have anything showing above the nut apart from the shock adjuster. The rears were ok as the bit you mention was there, a 9mm hex.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
Can anyone confirm that an impact wrench is the preferred method for taking the top nut off the front strut as it is being a little stuburn which I know is common:(

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
yea i took mine to a local garage. they used the impact wrench to undo them. while i did them up finger tight.. then drove home slowley!

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
yea i took mine to a local garage. they used the impact wrench to undo them. while i did them up finger tight.. then drove home slowley!

Thanks for confirming this. Looks like i'll be taking a trip down the garage.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
My mate across the road whipped mine of with his impact wrench. He has a compressor in the garage.;)

Easiest way, BenR did same when mine was down at Angelworks.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
I was well annoyed as i'd finished work early and time isn't a plenty. It's all jacked up on stands and o/s srut is freed off at bottom/hub so i'm gonna have to put it back together and find a garage tomorrow if it stays dry which doesn't look promising.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Mmm.

Know how you feel mate. Finished work early to get my standard backbox fitted at Clinton Motors.

Cant fit it because i need a genuine renault rear hanger bracket and the centre section is a different diameter to the backbox.:dapprove: 2" o/d stainless vs 2" I/d mild steel.

So I'm gonna persevere with the Powerflow. For the time being anyway.;)

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
I wouldn't say yours was loud even under load. I'd happy if I could hold a conversation at ***mph and here the radio...which I can't.
Might be worth looking for a good standard centre section to go with the back box for the future.

renault clio 1.2 16v
its abit rough but if u can get a set of mole grips in you can hold the shaft from spinning whilst you undoo the top nut.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
its abit rough but if u can get a set of mole grips in you can hold the shaft from spinning whilst you undoo the top nut.
:quiet: .....:nono: ...... that would be a desperate move:eek: very difficult not to damage the chrome on the shaft even with sleave.

S2000
I bought an impact wrench for £10 the first time I had to remove the suspension on any of my cars and I've always used it since - works a treat everytime.