ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP - stripped thread, best fix??

Clio 172
Took the upper engine mount off earlier and, most likely through my own fault, stripped the thread on one of the bolt holes in the upper cam cover when refitting as I didn't pull the engine forward enough. Have the other 2 bolts holding it up overnight until I head to the local engineering supply shop to get what I need to fix it.

So what's the best way to fix this?

Pretty sure the bolt is M10x1.25.. Do I:

1. Drill the hole out to the next size up (M12 or 10.75mm) and get an M12x1.25 bolt
  2. Get a helicoil kit and new M10x1.25 bolt
  3. Get a new cam cover
  4. Wash the car with petrol and dry it with a lit match

Clio 172
If helicoil kits aren't easily available locally tomorrow, I presume option 1 is the next best bet?

Da

Less
If your local engineering supplies doesn't have a helicoil kit then it's time to move house.

1 is an option but unless you're machining it (which I doubt) then I wouldn't attempt it personally.

Maybe try and re-tap the M10 thread first if you can get a secondary tap in the correct pitch.