ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hi Everyone....Tips on buying a 172 Cup....

DCi 80 DieselSport
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here.

I'm very good mates with MikeCracknall. We've known each other years and have been through it all with Saxo's. I personally have owned a Westcoast, VTR AND VTS. After I sold my track-prepped VTS last year I grew up a bit and got a little shitbox Fiesta while I used my degree and got a job.

I recently went home and Mike had a 172 in the garage. After a blast in that I've got it bad for another French Hot Hatch!

I'm looking for a Mint, STANDARD and original 172 Cup.

I was after advise as to what to look for when buying one?

Thanks in advance:cool:

Adam.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Make sure it has belts done. If you view some, the steering wheels always look very worn, so dont let that put you of. For a MINT standard non abused example i'd be looking 3.6k+ thats with full documented history, both keys, below 60k etc etc. Check for things like full Renault stickers on the slampanel and 'bumper stickers' Do a search on them. Be aware that some come with CC, most dont though.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Depends, i only wanted a Mondial, quick check of the banner will confirm the best colour ;)

Silver 182
When you find a tidy example that you fall in love with (it will happen :) ) dont be cheap and get an rac or aa check on it... you would be suprised with things they find out.

Westy. MX5
Over £3k will get you a good un, but finding one as good as you seem to want will take some time and travelling. Silver? nothing wrong with that, and a bit rarer. Good luck with your search.

Fiesta ST-3
Belts, service history, body work condition, previous owners etc. Same thing as most cars just dont get one from a pikey chav thats thrashed the tits off it all its life.

Fiesta STripes
Oh look who the tide washed up on here ;)

172 will be back on the road tomorrow, when the wheel bearing is done :)

197 back from epic Devon trip now too :)

RS RIP
engine mounts are weak/wear quite quickly (all 172's) The engine will be rocking around a lot , play in the gearstick and sluggish throttle-response when you have worn/broken mounts
There are nice uprated ones for sale though, siffer ones which make a sporty drive.

I changed mine on my Cup twice already in 70K miles, all round 4 in total.

oh, and the gearbox !! watch that one as these are known to be mis-treaten !

Silver 182
engine mounts are weak/wear quite quickly (all 172's) The engine will be rocking around a lot , play in the gearstick and sluggish throttle-response when you have worn/broken mounts
There are nice uprated ones for sale though, siffer ones which make a sporty drive.

I changed mine on my Cup twice already in 70K miles, all round 4 in total.

oh, and the gearbox !! watch that one as these are known to be mis-treaten !

gearbox is easy to mis-treat though considering how unwilling it is to get in gear from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th above 6k rpm...

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Make sure it has belts done. If you view some, the steering wheels always look very worn, so dont let that put you of. For a MINT standard non abused example i'd be looking 3.6k+ thats with full documented history, both keys, below 60k etc etc. Check for things like full Renault stickers on the slampanel and 'bumper stickers' Do a search on them. Be aware that some come with CC, most dont though.

BUY THIS MANS CUP ^^^

S